Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best English Batsman Since 1990?

State Vice-Captain gettingbetter's Avatar

Best English Batsman Since 1990?

I've always found it odd that many nations have had batsmen who average above 50 of recent times but England haven't had one (bar KP and he still has a long way to go to maintain his average). Even Zimbabwe have a cricketer who averaged above 50. In saying that, the likes of Atherton, Gatting, Hussain, Stewart and co are held in high esteem both in their homeland and away, so please enlighten me.

Also, I don;t have a clear criteria, but someone who has debuted in the 70s, but played a a significant amount of their career in the 90s can be accepted.

Always rated Thorpe but I think that Pietersen is well on the way.
    Supported XI
    Tamim Iqbal, JA Burns, UT Khawaja, *SPD Smith, Mahmudullah, C de Grandhomme, +AT Carey, PJ Cummins, Rashid Khan, Mustafizur Rahman, JP Behrendorff.

RIP Fardin. RIP Craigos. RIP Prince.

G. Thorpe

still scratching around in the same old hole
    Gooch

Averaged over 50 in 45 Tests in the 90s and played some of the best innings Ive ever seen.

For 2nd. Robin Smith. Loved watching him play and despite his flaws against spin he took on the quicks and had a healthy average. Unfortunately another to be thown aside into the messed around bucket with Hick and Ramprakash.
    Last edited by Goughy; 08-01-2008 at 07:22 AM.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there will be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Graham Thorpe for mine.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Gooch was the one who started the decade and no-one has matched his sensational performances since. Averaged 61 in 64 innings between January 1990 and June 1994, scoring runs off good and bad bowling alike, with a few let-offs (most notably More in the 333) but not many.

Some have played more innings (Thorpe played 179), but none have had such a long period doing so sensationally well. Never at any point in his career was Thorpe as good as Gooch was 1990-1994, though he did come fairly close for a handful of Tests in 2003 and 2004 (against overall much inferior bowling). And no-one else, really, comes close to Gooch or Thorpe. If spin-bowling had never been invented, Robin Smith probably would, mind.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Where does the highly respected Atherton come into the equation?

Quote Originally Posted by gettingbetter View Post
    Where does the highly respected Atherton come into the equation?
    5th to 7th.

Behind Thorpe, Gooch, Pietersen, Gower.

Gower hardly played post-1990, tbf.

I know it's not quite what the thread asks, but here's the list of the most productive England batsmen of the 1990s:

http://stats.cricinfo.com/ci/engine/...=1;type=decade

Gooch out on his own in that decade, clearly.
    Cricket Web's current Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"Thereís only one head bigger than Geoffrey Boycottís and thatís Birkenhead." -FS Trueman

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Gower hardly played post-1990, tbf.

I know it's not quite what the thread asks, but here's the list of the most productive England batsmen of the 1990s:

http://stats.cricinfo.com/ci/engine/...=1;type=decade

Gooch out on his own in that decade, clearly.
    He played 11 Tests and averaged 53. not many English players have batted better..
    Last edited by NUFAN; 08-01-2008 at 07:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by NUFAN View Post
    5th to 7th.

Behind Thorpe, Gooch, Pietersen, Gower.
    Nah, Gower hardly played in the 1990s. Just 3 Tests against India in 1990, 5 in Australia in 1990\91 and 3 against Pakistan in 1992.

Would probably have Atherton 3rd, after Gooch and Thorpe. That's if we have the "don't assess a batsman 'til the end of his career method" on Cook, Bell and Pietersen.

I'd be happier if it was to be "best English batsman since 1990 whose career is over" TBH.

And Alec Stewart is so difficult to assess, as he was badly mucked-around between 1990 and 1996. He was keeping one minute, then he wasn't, he was opening, he was batting six, he was doing this that and everything. One thing he wasn't was doing the same thing for a long time. Think he actually deserves a separate thread, been meaning to do that for ages actually.

Any chance a mod can change it to 1995 or post Gooch, I didn't think that Gooch played/was so prosperous post 1990.
    Last edited by gettingbetter; 08-01-2008 at 07:49 AM.

Easy enough to just say "excluding Graham Gooch" IMO, TBH.

But yeah, Gooch's sensational batting in the early 1990s is famous, how can you not have heard of 't? He was THE man when I was getting into the game, only person I ever wanted to be (ahead of Brian McClair, Steve Bruce et al).

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Nah, Gower hardly played in the 1990s. Just 3 Tests against India in 1990, 5 in Australia in 1990\91 and 3 against Pakistan in 1992.

Would probably have Atherton 3rd, after Gooch and Thorpe. That's if we have the "don't assess a batsman 'til the end of his career method" on Cook, Bell and Pietersen.

I'd be happier if it was to be "best English batsman since 1990 whose career is over" TBH.

And Alec Stewart is so difficult to assess, as he was badly mucked-around between 1990 and 1996. He was keeping one minute, then he wasn't, he was opening, he was batting six, he was doing this that and everything. One thing he wasn't was doing the same thing for a long time. Think he actually deserves a separate thread, been meaning to do that for ages actually.
    Why would you not include players who haven't finished there careers?

Fair enough if you all don't want to include Gower, but where would you pick him??

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Gooch was the one who started the decade and no-one has matched his sensational performances since. Averaged 61 in 64 innings between January 1990 and June 1994, scoring runs off good and bad bowling alike, with a few let-offs (most notably More in the 333) but not many.

Some have played more innings (Thorpe played 179), but none have had such a long period doing so sensationally well. Never at any point in his career was Thorpe as good as Gooch was 1990-1994, though he did come fairly close for a handful of Tests in 2003 and 2004 (against overall much inferior bowling). And no-one else, really, comes close to Gooch or Thorpe. If spin-bowling had never been invented, Robin Smith probably would, mind.
    Ya surely post 1990, Gooch's performance was better than Thorpe; no doubt about that. But overall, probably Thorpe will be a touch over Gooch.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information