• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

F)&)K the NZ Selectors!!!

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Test: Stephen Fleming (captain), Mark Richardson, Matthew Horne, Richard Jones, Lou Vincent, Mathew Sinclair, Scott Styris, Jacob Oram, Robbie Hart, Daniel Vettori, Ian Butler, Shane Bond, Paul Wiseman, Daryl Tuffey.

One-day: Stephen Fleming (captain), Chris Nevin, Matthew Horne, Scott Styris, Chris Cairns, Chris Harris, Brendon McCullum, Jacob Oram, Kyle Mills, Daniel Vettori, Shane Bond, Daryl Tuffey, Andre Adams, one to be added after test series.

Where the hell is Tim McIntosh?, the fact that we have no batsmen on our selection panel is going to cost us big time.
They pick Vincent, but drop McMillan who has the better test average..that makes no sense.

Richard Jones is an ok selection, he's been pretty steady for Wellington but the test lineup still looks as brittle as anything with Horne, Vincent & Sinclair lined up there...2 of those 3 had to miss the cut IMO.

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
I am really disappointed in the NZ selectors this time.. And really F#&%ed off.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I wouldn't complain if Vincent was playing in the ODI's instead of McMillan, but this is for the test series. And the fact is, is that both players are out of form so if they're going to pick one of them wouldn't it make sense to pick the player with the better average?

McMillan averages 39 & Vincent something like 26.

For alot of these players it could be their last chance to show they've got what it takes at international level i.e Mathew Sinclair, Lou Vincent, Matt Horne, Paul Wiseman etc so I hope they go & prove me wrong but time & time again these guys have shown that they are not consistent enough & all I can see at the moment is NZ losing their #3 spot in the rankings & taking a step backwards.

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
they are quite stupid , they should have used this tour as a more give the youngsters who havent had a go a chance... they are blinded once again

i just hope forr the best out of nz...

anzac

International Debutant
I see Sir Richard has stated that SL is a difficult tour and so they have not made too many changes, and those they have have been based upon experience recalls (apart from Jones).

My question then is where is a good tour to blood youngsters ???? IMO it is better to make your debut away from you home crowd rather than infront of it - no public expectation etc!

Vincent's selection for the Test squad is an indication that they still consider him as opening partner for Richardson - fair enough but lets let him do the job and stop jerking him around by giving him a totally different role in the ODIs - no wonder his form goes out the window!!!

I've already expressed my opinion of the Nevin selection - I hope he puts his head down and works for a platform rather than increased run rate, but I wonder if he has enough shots in his book to be able to do so!

I suppose Harris made the ODI squad as a result of his WC form, but I still think Hitchcock is a better bet. Similarly I think Adams should go out and buy a Lotto ticket after gaining selection.

IMO the following players are in a make or break situation (some more so than others) - Horne, Sinclair, Tuffey, Adams, Nevin, Vincent, Wiseman, Harris, McCullum & Mills. If they do not step up to the mark they may find themselves in the wilderness again. I'd rather have seen some more newbies who had nothing to loose so to speak, rather than half a squad trying to justify their continued selection - talk about extra pressure!

I suppose they are banking on those not making this tour to be ready for the tour to India if this squad to not get the job done - but it does not give us a lot of options if those above fail to perform!

:(

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Well I think the chances of McIntosh, Nicol, Mason, Cumming etc making the Indian tour are shot to hell now.
Theres no way they'll pick them in the off-season unless there are injuries from the squad-members of the Sri Lankan tour.
The only player that might get a free entry is Craig McMillan.

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
yea true that , that sucks damn it , i thought there was gonna be some re thinking and re change in the new zealand selectors mind , but obviously they seem content that the team reached the super 6....

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
I feel really sorry for McIntosh and Cumming. Everyone I talked to thpught he was going to be in the squad. Everyone but the people that mattered.

Kyle Mills in the ODI squad puzzles me as he was somewhat of a spare part at the World cup.. What has changed now.

Last edited:

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm confused at what Hitchcock is supposed to have done wrong to not be selected...10 wickets at 22.60 in 8 matches with an econ rate of 4.26 is seriously good. I understand he was dropped for the WC for tactical reasons but now the WC is over...

V Reddy

International Debutant
If you want to try out any new batsman though then you got to give them a go in India. The ball comes nicely on to the bat and very high scoring games.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Hitchcock hasn't played a first class match since early feb...so I can understand why they didn't pick him.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Well written Andre, it pretty much sums up the mistakes the selectors have made.
There may be more pressure on the selectors now rather than the players if they don't at least hold competitive with Sri Lanka.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Tim said:
Hitchcock hasn't played a first class match since early feb...so I can understand why they didn't pick him.
He's only played one FC game in his career so it shouldn't really matter ;)

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Sorry I meant OD match, he was meant to play more first class games for Wellington this season but got injured.

He even improved his batting!, he said he needed to because he thought it would improve his chances of making the NZ team and he averaged something like 37 for Wellington in the State Shield.

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
Another guy who was probably quite unlucky to miss out would have been Tama Canning.

I probably would have had him in the ODI squad ahead of Harris and Adams.

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
No doubt tamara

Tama Canning has done well in domestic cricket here and sure did need to have been picked ahead of adams i reckon , adams looks more wary from recent times

anzac

International Debutant
Andre said:
well done,

but maybe you have answered the question for the selectors as to why they have gone for experience over fresh blood re the SL vulnerabilities! Perhaps their priority for this tour is to give themselves the best shot at getting some points from the series to solidify their 3rd place.

India would not be such an option to score a series, yet they could have some breathing space on the table to be able to do as Vishnureddy has suggested and blood some new batsmen on that tour.

Similarly with the 2 development spinners being attached to the SL tour squad - if they come on they could be in contention for the Indian tour, or they could repeat the strategy re development as for the SL tour.

:)

anzac

International Debutant
Tim said:
the fact that we have no batsmen on our selection panel is going to cost us big time. [/B]
should there not be a case for the selectors to have a representative from each discipline - i.e. batting, bowling & fielding (re ODIs)?

:)