• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Brian Lara (Captain), Sarwan (deputy)

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
R_Powell_fan said:
Sorry Rik....... but the the sentence " ......is just as bad as ...." certainly implies you think the decision to recall Hooper was a bad one and the recent one regarding Lara is worse...try to phrase you ideas better.....not that mine are that well phrased :D :D

Well you think "Hooper did a fine job" but his capatainacy record is just as bad as Lara's.....how come. Also, the decision to bring back Hooper was based on Merit and Experience as he came back, played in the Busta Cup and got an increadbile 960 odd runs in the 9 matches played......Also he had lots of experience so he got the captainacy....
Nope I don't Think the decision to recall Hooper was a bad one, I Thought it was. There is a difference.

I think Hooper did a good job because near the end of his stint the West Indies were becoming a creditable force again, when he started it they looked like they were going to continue their decline. These things take time.

He got picked but just giving him the captaincy smacked of a lack of vision by the selectors, they need a long term candidate so why keep giving it to players who will not be there in 5 years time? Giving it to Lara who failed before shows that lack of vision with the Selectors. Why not have a gamble, try someone else younger? South Africa did...

Last edited:

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
anilramavarma said:
More than that, he is actually praising Ganguly...!!!!???? Never thought I'll see the day.....:O
Did I say I was? Nope...admittedly he has changed his game to suit the needs of the team but he's scoring a lot less runs. It's not his natural game it seems.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Rik said:
Did I say I was? Nope...admittedly he has changed his game to suit the needs of the team but he's scoring a lot less runs. It's not his natural game it seems.
It was a twisted, oblique sort of a praise, man. C'mon...:)

Anyway, are you talking about tests or one dayers? In tests, his new-found grittiness(which was not in evidence during the NZ tour BTW) has actually helped him score more runs and helped him come out of something like a 2 year slump which began roughly when he took over as captain as evidenced by the last Windies tour and the last England tour.

As far as one dayers are concerned, I haven't seen any significant change in his natural free-scoring approach.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Rik said:
Giving it to Lara who failed before shows that lack of vision with the Selectors. Why not have a gamble, try someone else younger? South Africa did...
All I have to say to this stupid comment is:-
Brian Lara (Captain),Sarwan (deputy)

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
anilramavarma said:
It was a twisted, oblique sort of a praise, man. C'mon...:)

Anyway, are you talking about tests or one dayers? In tests, his new-found grittiness(which was not in evidence during the NZ tour BTW) has actually helped him score more runs and helped him come out of something like a 2 year slump which began roughly when he took over as captain as evidenced by the last Windies tour and the last England tour.

As far as one dayers are concerned, I haven't seen any significant change in his natural free-scoring approach.
Well ok I suppose it was sorta praise ;)

I've noticed a big difference in his game, he seemed rash in India but when he came to England he was less provoked except in the OD game when he was found out over and over again.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
All I have to say to this stupid comment is:-
It's not a stupid comment, you replace someone who was finally doing quite a good job with someone who's failed and shown he is disinteristed with the job before, and put a young player as vice skip who will probably only learn how to loose...

Mr Mxyzptlk

Rik said:
It's not a stupid comment, you replace someone who was finally doing quite a good job with someone who's failed and shown he is disinteristed with the job before, and put a young player as vice skip who will probably only learn how to loose...
It is a stupid comment. Hooper was necessary to fill the first half of the pre-Sarwan gap, but he's a crappy tactician who is way too defensive. He is not the best captain at the moment. Lara is a better tactician. You can't be defensive against Australia and win a Test series.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
It is a stupid comment. Hooper was necessary to fill the first half of the pre-Sarwan gap, but he's a crappy tactician who is way too defensive. He is not the best captain at the moment. Lara is a better tactician. You can't be defensive against Australia and win a Test series.
When I saw Lara captaining he didn't seem to have a clue about tactics and just set basic fields. He lacked man-management skills and often just left the game drifting. Maybe he's improved but I've seen no proof of it.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Any you've seen Lara captain how many matches? And when was the last time you saw Lara captain? And how often do you see Lara play? Please do fill me in...

Also, even Fleming has had his off moments.........but he sucks as a captain doesn't he :rolleyes:

You're just jealous that Lara can bat better than you...:P

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Any you've seen Lara captain how many matches? And when was the last time you saw Lara captain? And how often do you see Lara play? Please do fill me in...

Also, even Fleming has had his off moments.........but he sucks as a captain doesn't he :rolleyes:

I saw him captaining in a Test against South Africa, he set such appauling fields for the spinner (Rawl Lewis) it was insane.

Fleming has his off days but to compare Fleming and Lara as captains...well you just can't. One has captained his country for most of his International Career and has had more high points than low, Lara had a go for a few years and gave it up.

What makes you think Lara will be such a great captain this time? He hasn't even captained Trinidad for several years...

Lara's batting ability has nothing to do with this, his lack of interist and lack of obvious man-management skills do.

Last edited:

Mr Mxyzptlk

I saw him captaining in a Test against South Africa, he set such appauling fields for the spinner it was insane.
One whole Test?!?!?!:wow:

He hasn't even captained Trinidad for several years...
Um News Flash Rik.....he hasn't played a full season for Trinidad in several years. It's something called Test cricket.......

Lara's batting ability has nothing to do with this, his lack of interist and lack of obvious man-management skills do.
You're talking crap Rik. First you say that you concede that he may have changed since then (in that one whole Test you saw him play :rolleyes: ) and then you come back and blatantly state that he lacks management skills. Lara was the best Trinidadian captain for years when he did have the post.

PY

International Coach
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Bit of a silly point is it not? Because without exception on this forum, he is better than all of us.........and I for one am intensely jealous as anyone who wants to make themselves a better cricket player.

Mr Mxyzptlk

PY said:
Bit of a silly point is it not? Because without exception on this forum, he is better than all of us.........and I for one am intensely jealous as anyone who wants to make themselves a better cricket player.
It's something I like to refer to as a joke PY....

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
One whole Test?!?!?!:wow:

You go buy me Sky TV

Um News Flash Rik.....he hasn't played a full season for Trinidad in several years. It's something called Test cricket.......
Yup, I know that, but the fact remains that since he gave up the captaincy he hasn't captained a team and therefor there is nothing to prove he has changed.

You're talking crap Rik. First you say that you concede that he may have changed since then (in that one whole Test you saw him play :rolleyes: ) and then you come back and blatantly state that he lacks management skills. Lara was the best Trinidadian captain for years when he did have the post.
I give the chance that he may have changed but then no one knows because he hasn't captained a team since...

Did you see what he did to Warwickshire when he was captain over here? Obviously your forgetting what a mess he made.

In fact Liam, I am leaving options open but you have to give me proof he has the management skills. You are the one picking a fight here, not me. Have you ever heard of a difference in opinion?

PY

International Coach
Yeh sorry, kinda hard to tell online.................too many tongues about for my liking. We English are sterotyped as having no sense of humour....I personally think I'm just stupid so appears I don't have a sense of humour 8D

Mr Mxyzptlk

Rik said:
Yup, I know that, but the fact remains that since he gave up the captaincy he hasn't captained a team and therefor there is nothing to prove he has changed.
The fact is that you can't pass judgement on seeing him captain a poor team for a Test that probably lasted less than 5 days...

Did you see what he did to Warwickshire when he was captain over here? Obviously your forgetting what a mess he made.
Ok, point taken....seeing as County cricket is such an accurate comparison to Test cricket....

You are the one picking a fight here, not me. Have you ever heard of a difference in opinion?
Have you seen a difference in mine? How am I the one picking a fight when I am just expressing my views, just as you are? Explain. Please, I might enjoy this.

Mr Mxyzptlk

PY said:
Yeh sorry, kinda hard to tell online.................too many tongues about for my liking. We English are sterotyped as having no sense of humour....I personally think I'm just stupid so appears I don't have a sense of humour 8D
Lol.:)

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
The fact is that you can't pass judgement on seeing him captain a poor team for a Test that probably lasted less than 5 days...

Yes, it lasted for 3, I suppose that was great captaincy on his part then for not letting it drag on to 5...

Ok, point taken....seeing as County cricket is such an accurate comparison to Test cricket....
Did I say it was? Stop making things up please, I said he made a mess of the team, which is true. He also made a mess of the West Indian team 2 years after which is something you are trying not to mention. 5-0 to South Africa jog your memory?

Have you seen a difference in mine? How am I the one picking a fight when I am just expressing my views, just as you are? Explain. Please, I might enjoy this.
The difference in your opinion is that you think Lara is a good captain and you keep stating that despite having nothing to back it up, then you claim I'm talking crap. Now that is not just a view, it is also something that can easily be construed as picking a fight.

Give me proof Liam...

Mr Mxyzptlk

Rik said:
Yes, it lasted for 3, I suppose that was great captaincy on his part then for not letting it drag on to 5...[/B]
Yep....and Steve Waugh's never lost a Test by a large margin, nor has Nasser.....

Did I say it was? Stop making things up please, I said he made a mess of the team, which is true. He also made a mess of the West Indian team 2 years after which is something you are trying not to mention. 5-0 to South Africa jog your memory?
Then what were you trying to accomplish by bringing up Warwickshire when we're talking about Test captaincy?

The difference in your opinion is that you think Lara is a good captain and you keep stating that despite having nothing to back it up
If I had stated my opinion first and you stated your opinion after (which is what I did- my thread) then wouldn't it be you "picking a fight". Why is it that because my opinion is opposite to your opinion, it's a fight? Wouldn't it just be a debate?

then you claim I'm talking crap. Now that is not just a view, it is also something that can easily be construed as picking a fight.
I only claim it when it's true. If the statement was sensible, I wouldn't have.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Rik said:
Give me proof Liam... [/B]
The only proof that I could possibly give you is stats, and when it comes down to it stats mean little in the measure of a cricketer. You should know that....