• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The English Season is only 2 weeks away

chris.hinton

International Captain
it is going to be a good season hopefully England win both Test Series and the triangler Series. Also i hope Worcester will get out of division two, we have a good soild side who is right will win the league. I also hope Warwickshire challenge for division 1 but i dont think that they will win it.

And Hinton 5 players to look out for are:-

Kadder Ali (Worcs)
Ian Clifford (Warwicks)
Ian Bell (Warwicks)
David Sales ( Northants)
Tim Breslen (Yorks)

And are you going to play cricket in the summer?

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
chris.hinton said:
it is going to be a good season hopefully England win both Test Series and the triangler Series. Also i hope Worcester will get out of division two, we have a good soild side who is right will win the league. I also hope Warwickshire challenge for division 1 but i dont think that they will win it.

And Hinton 5 players to look out for are:-

Kadder Ali (Worcs)
Ian Clifford (Warwicks)
Ian Bell (Warwicks)
David Sales ( Northants)
Tim Breslen (Yorks)

And are you going to play cricket in the summer?
Kraaaazy Kadder strikes back :lol:

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
I've got indoors nets starting next week (surely the weather's good enough for outdoor ones) and meetings are taking place, I've been invited to a county player's night...CRICKET SEASON'S BACK :D:D:D

V Reddy

International Debutant
I had my exams completed a couple of days back and have holidays till mid-june:D . But i have the Cricket Camp starting in Mid May. Hopefully they will show some more County Cricket here as some Indian Players are players are playing there. Chris , what about Vikram? I read in a column written by Hussain that England should invest in young players like Solanki,Bell,Shah,etc,. and i always see Botham mentioning him and he had a good last year.Does he have any chance?

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Vikram Solanki might have a chance, he's become more consistant lately and I rate him quite highly. Aftab Habib is another asian player who has done well and has the ability to be a fine International player, but like Solanki he fluffed his chance...

In English cricket if you fluff your 1st chance then you don't often get many more, Solanki, Habib and Kirtley are such examples. It's odd though that they will sometimes stick with failures like Ramprakash and Croft for ages...

Also just look what happened to Ian Ward, didn't really shine in his 1st few Tests then is dropped and the Selectors completely ignore him when he goes mental the next season and averages 70+!!!

We also have a habbit of not picking the players who do really well in the domestic competition, I mean we have players like Kevin Dean who take 70+ wickets a season and get nowhere near selection, and players like Richard Dawson who seem to have "that" edge to them are picked even though they have done barely anything of note and it's obvious their action is rubbish...

English cricket, it's a wierd old world.

Last edited:

V Reddy

International Debutant
Ramps is also my fav. though:D and Hicks too. Had a chance to talk to him during Eng's tour to India when he played in Hyderabad. He got a hundred at that time against an A side and in that only Bangar got 5 wickets and ran through the English lower order. He seems to really like to do his best for England while playing and just seems to be too tensed. He seemed to have got over it in his last stinct as Eng Player but suddenly he had a very bad tour in NZ. He just seems a totally different player in other matches and he does not seem to have any problems like Hick while playing bouncers.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
vishnureddy said:
Ramps is also my fav. though:D and Hicks too. Had a chance to talk to him during Eng's tour to India when he played in Hyderabad. He got a hundred at that time against an A side and in that only Bangar got 5 wickets and ran through the English lower order. He seems to really like to do his best for England while playing and just seems to be too tensed. He seemed to have got over it in his last stinct as Eng Player but suddenly he had a very bad tour in NZ. He just seems a totally different player in other matches and he does not seem to have any problems like Hick while playing bouncers.
Ramps is a fantastic player with a fantastic technique, but he doesn't cope with pressure. I don't cope with pressure well generally but in Cricket when I get fired up it really puts me up a level. People have ways of coping with the pressure, the only way I've found of coping with it is in cricket, and it's usually to take the view that the person on the other end is personally out to show me up and I have to prove him wrong.

Last edited:

V Reddy

International Debutant
Don't worry the selection worries are here too. It is better here now a days. Do you guys remember Noel David? He was picked for the Indian Team to WI in 1997 when he was not even a regular in the Hyderabad team . But he had a very good tour there and was dropped after that series:O . And Tinu Yohannan came from no where into this team. I didn't notice him till he was picked and i follow the Domestic Cricket Scores.And when Azhar used to be the Captain there would always used to be a place for Raju as he is also from Hyderabad and so too Azhar. And when Sachin used to be the captain, players from Mumbai area used to be there like Dighe ,Kulkarni,etc,. It's very good now since Ganguly took over.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
vishnureddy said:
Don't worry the selection worries are here too. It is better here now a days. Do you guys remember Noel David? He was picked for the Indian Team to WI in 1997 when he was not even a regular in the Hyderabad team . But he had a very good tour there and was dropped after that series:O . And Tinu Yohannan came from no where into this team. I didn't notice him till he was picked and i follow the Domestic Cricket Scores.And when Azhar used to be the Captain there would always used to be a place for Raju as he is also from Hyderabad and so too Azhar. And when Sachin used to be the captain, players from Mumbai area used to be there like Dighe ,Kulkarni,etc,. It's very good now since Ganguly took over.
Except in Yohannan you have found a Dawson, someone who does nothing worthwhile in domestic cricket and carries on in that vein when he's given a chance in International cricket...

V Reddy

International Debutant
Rik said:
Except in Yohannan you have found a Dawson, someone who does nothing worthwhile in domestic cricket and carries on in that vein when he's given a chance in International cricket...
Noticed a similarity there. Both made their debuts in the same series :D .

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
vishnureddy said:
Noticed a similarity there. Both made their debuts in the same series :D .
True.

I hate it when people go on hunches that they think this guy has what it takes or he's got loads of potential over people who have done everything asked of them and are still not picked. Dawson did nothing to get picked, everyone was saying "I played with this kid when he was 14 and I thought he would become England's best spinner", bollocks, all through his career he's bowled in the same way which is the wrong way. And now that he's failed enough for them to realise they made a mistake they drop him. It's true people who have got good records don't allways do the buisness, but I'd rather trust someone who's got proof of ability over some kid who's got a rubbish average...there is a reason why he got that average and it ain't from doing well...

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Surely if the guy still isn't performing in domestic cricket after you have given him a chance in International cricket then he's either not learnt anything or he just doesn't have what it takes...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Rik said:

We also have a habbit of not picking the players who do really well in the domestic competition, I mean we have players like Kevin Dean who take 70+ wickets a season and get nowhere near selection,
There's a reason for this - wickets in the CC mean diddly squat because the competition is very weak!

Look at the times they try someone based on figures, and the majority are failures.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
marc71178 said:
There's a reason for this - wickets in the CC mean diddly squat because the competition is very weak!

Look at the times they try someone based on figures, and the majority are failures.
Anderson had damn good figures...

Dawson didn't and look at him...

Langeveldt

Soutie
ah yes lets hope we dont have to see much more of Dawson while he is still very average. Maybe England will see sense and pick Gilo or nobody (Such is the state of English spin at the moment :( )

Ill be supporting Somerset (lets hope they will be back in the right half next year) and playing club and school cricket. Probably about 30 matches in all.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Well I should be playing most weeks, nets every Friday and 6 county matches in all :)

I really can't wait. :D:D:D

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
I hope to play, but don't expect to!

I will be coaching Primary, Secondary and Club Junior Teams throughout the summer, primarily managing the U15s at my club. :)

Lloyd

Caistor Town Cricket Club Moderator
And i shall be captaining the Under 17s side, opening the batting for Midweek League Team, hopefully for Sunday team too, and 'helping' Neil with his Under 15s side.

Anyone care to give me any tips on how to get a side that currently doesn't have 11 players to win a few matches this season (U17s)?