Thread: Indian Players not payed match fees for 10 months

Indian Players not payed match fees for 10 months

BCCI hasn’t paid players’ wages for 10 months

Remember the glorious night of NatWest final? Cricketers weren’t even paid for that

Navika Kumar

New Delhi, March 29: Everyone talks about the money Indian cricketers make but here is the other side of the story. India’s cricketing heroes have not been paid their salaries for the past 10 months.

The cash-rich Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) owes each player around Rs 1 crore (Rs 20 lakh to Rs 25 lakh each for the last five tours). The BCCI has held back payments to the overworked cricketers citing its own sponsorship problems.

The team is yet to be paid its tour fee for the England tour of four Tests, the NatWest Series of One-Day matches between June and September 2002, the ICC Champions’ Trophy in Sri Lanka in September, the West Indies tour of India consisting of three Test matches and seven ODIs in October-November 2002, the Indian tour of New Zealand with two Test matches and seven ODIs in December-January and the just-concluded World Cup.

When contacted, Kishore Rungta, treasurer of the BCCI, told The Sunday Express:‘‘The delay in payment to the players is actually an accounting delay. It is not a matter of public debate.’’

The official reason for the BCCI’s failure to clear the dues is its own dispute with Trans World International (TWI). The BCCI is still awaiting the logo fees. ‘‘The tour fee for players is around Rs 3 lakh to 4 lakh per player per tour, the real money comes from the logo fees that BCCI receives. We give 60 per cent of it to the players while retaining 40 per cent. This could work out to Rs 15 lakh to 20 lakh per player for each tour,’’ Rungta explained on the phone from Jaipur.

Rungta said that it was during the Indian tour of England in June last year that the logo troubles hit BCCI. TWI was the agent for the Indian team, handling corporate sponsors. ‘‘Some dues have to be paid by the Sahara Group which is why payments to players are stuck,’’ Rungta said. He said that after the England tour, TWI pulled out and the team had no sponsor for the ICC Championship Trophy in September.

‘‘Dalmiya is personally handling this problem now. When the year-end pre-occupation in his own businesses is over on March 31, we hope to resolve the problems... by the second week of April,’’ Rungta said.

Rungta also said that the BCCI was unable to make up its mind on whether to pay players in anticipation of the disputes being settled or wait for the money to physically be realised by the BCCI before it paid the team.

When contacted, TWI Joint Director Ravi Krishnan said: ‘‘I’m not aware of any such thing. I have no comment to make.’’

The players have decided to keep quiet about it. Rajiv Shukla, who handles the communications and coordination of the Indian team, too refused to comment on behalf of the players. But now, how can anyone complain when they pose for cola and bicycles?

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Well, I must congratulate the team for not kicking up a fuss and refusing to play until they receive any money or anything like that.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Stranger leering through a pair of binoculars
    Lets just hope nothing bad becomes of this, and yeah congrats to them for not crying to the media
    Mark Waugh
    "He's [Michael Clarke] on Twitter saying sorry for not walking? Mate if he did that in our side there'd be hell to play. AB would chuck his Twitter box off the balcony or whatever it is. Sorry for not walking? Jesus Christ man."
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put it into a fruit salad
    RIP Craigos

Damn, some of that is going back 3 years. As said, good to see it hasn't caused too many problems yet.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

International Coach biased indian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono
    Damn, some of that is going back 3 years. As said, good to see it hasn't caused too many problems yet.

its an old thread man
    Last edited by biased indian; 17-12-2004 at 10:52 AM.
    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
    RIP Craigos

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Amazing how easily we're all confused, sometimes...
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Quote Originally Posted by biased indian

its an old thread man
    ^_^

International Captain Buddhmaster's Avatar
    How can we be confused, you have to go back to find old threads.

Don't worry about Richard, he's just being a smartass.

How, this thread is old.

Because I was unaware of the weird nature for people to bump threads that are over a year old? Seems like a pointless task to me. I don't often refer to the date of the post, rather just the subject itself.

But in this case, the date is related to the thread.

Banned
    HA thats nothing, the West Indies board is still to pay players from 1983 and the players including Viv are still expecting top get paid.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono
    Because I was unaware of the weird nature for people to bump threads that are over a year old? Seems like a pointless task to me. I don't often refer to the date of the post, rather just the subject itself.
    No, neither do I - I regularly think funnily of stuff that I haven't noticed the date.
    Fortunately for me, I often think "hmm, funny - this looks old". Then I check. Sometimes, of course, I remember old threads that I've seen during their original days.
    I wasn't excluding myself when I said "we all".

Thread Information