• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Indian Players not payed match fees for 10 months

V Reddy

International Debutant
BCCI hasn’t paid players’ wages for 10 months

Remember the glorious night of NatWest final? Cricketers weren’t even paid for that

Navika Kumar

New Delhi, March 29: Everyone talks about the money Indian cricketers make but here is the other side of the story. India’s cricketing heroes have not been paid their salaries for the past 10 months.

The cash-rich Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) owes each player around Rs 1 crore (Rs 20 lakh to Rs 25 lakh each for the last five tours). The BCCI has held back payments to the overworked cricketers citing its own sponsorship problems.

The team is yet to be paid its tour fee for the England tour of four Tests, the NatWest Series of One-Day matches between June and September 2002, the ICC Champions’ Trophy in Sri Lanka in September, the West Indies tour of India consisting of three Test matches and seven ODIs in October-November 2002, the Indian tour of New Zealand with two Test matches and seven ODIs in December-January and the just-concluded World Cup.

When contacted, Kishore Rungta, treasurer of the BCCI, told The Sunday Express:‘‘The delay in payment to the players is actually an accounting delay. It is not a matter of public debate.’’

The official reason for the BCCI’s failure to clear the dues is its own dispute with Trans World International (TWI). The BCCI is still awaiting the logo fees. ‘‘The tour fee for players is around Rs 3 lakh to 4 lakh per player per tour, the real money comes from the logo fees that BCCI receives. We give 60 per cent of it to the players while retaining 40 per cent. This could work out to Rs 15 lakh to 20 lakh per player for each tour,’’ Rungta explained on the phone from Jaipur.

Rungta said that it was during the Indian tour of England in June last year that the logo troubles hit BCCI. TWI was the agent for the Indian team, handling corporate sponsors. ‘‘Some dues have to be paid by the Sahara Group which is why payments to players are stuck,’’ Rungta said. He said that after the England tour, TWI pulled out and the team had no sponsor for the ICC Championship Trophy in September.

‘‘Dalmiya is personally handling this problem now. When the year-end pre-occupation in his own businesses is over on March 31, we hope to resolve the problems... by the second week of April,’’ Rungta said.

Rungta also said that the BCCI was unable to make up its mind on whether to pay players in anticipation of the disputes being settled or wait for the money to physically be realised by the BCCI before it paid the team.

When contacted, TWI Joint Director Ravi Krishnan said: ‘‘I’m not aware of any such thing. I have no comment to make.’’

The players have decided to keep quiet about it. Rajiv Shukla, who handles the communications and coordination of the Indian team, too refused to comment on behalf of the players. But now, how can anyone complain when they pose for cola and bicycles?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Well, I must congratulate the team for not kicking up a fuss and refusing to play until they receive any money or anything like that.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Lets just hope nothing bad becomes of this, and yeah congrats to them for not crying to the media

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Damn, some of that is going back 3 years. As said, good to see it hasn't caused too many problems yet.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Because I was unaware of the weird nature for people to bump threads that are over a year old? Seems like a pointless task to me. I don't often refer to the date of the post, rather just the subject itself.

Scallywag

Banned
HA thats nothing, the West Indies board is still to pay players from 1983 and the players including Viv are still expecting top get paid.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Jono said:
Because I was unaware of the weird nature for people to bump threads that are over a year old? Seems like a pointless task to me. I don't often refer to the date of the post, rather just the subject itself.
No, neither do I - I regularly think funnily of stuff that I haven't noticed the date.
Fortunately for me, I often think "hmm, funny - this looks old". Then I check. Sometimes, of course, I remember old threads that I've seen during their original days.
I wasn't excluding myself when I said "we all".