• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who Will Start For Somerset?

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Looking good, isn't it?

If we don't get a double promotion, someone (preferably the Chairman) needs shooting. That or it's because it rained one hell of a lot in Taunton, like it did the only time I was there.

(Somerset v Australians - August 1997 - first "real" County Ground I ever visited [discounting Cleethorpes and Scarborough] - the reason I support Somerset)

Anna

International Vice-Captain
Originally posted by Langeveldt
Well unfortunatly i dont share your same enthusiasm about Bulbeck. I doubt Caddick will play much so Bulbeck it is then!
Yes, well! I have to admit I was in a bit of a weird mood when I posted that, so I apologise. :)

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
marc71178 said:
What about Dutch? Or Laraman seems to have a reasonable effort so far with the bat.
Did I put Dutch at 7? He's a talented bat even if it means that you have rather innefective 4D spinners in the side in Blackwell and Dutch. I'm not sure about Laraman, if he was so good then why would Middlesex let him go when Tuffers was saying only last year that he was the player they needed, a fast bowler and number 8 batsman.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Im really not sure about Laraman, I will be able to tell you on Friday if he is playing against loughborough uni!

I really hope he is not another bits and pieces player, there are enough of them in county cricket, and IMHO at somerset as well.

Frome Exile

Cricket Spectator
Langeveldt said:

Here is my strongest XI

1.Cox
2.Bowler or Trescothick
3.Wood
4.Bryant
5.Burns
6.Parsons
7.Blackwell
8.Turner
9.MacLean
10.Caddick or Bulbeck
11.Johnson
Think I read somewhere that Bryant prefers #3, and I get the feeling he's seen as a "Great White Hope" and will get whatever he wants, at least to start with.

Cox spent a lot of the season for TAS at #4, so I reckon that's a sign.

I can't imagine Laraman coming unless he felt reasonably sure of first team cricket. Plus he seems to be a possible opener in "slogathons".

Someone on Grockles.com suggested that Bowler should be asked to devote some time to a mentoring/coaching role with the seconds, but I reckon that's a great niche for Dutch, who I believe is a qualified coach.

So my prediction for Bristol is

1.Wood
2.Bowler
3.Bryant
4.Cox
5.Burns
6.Blackwell
7.Turner
8.Laraman
9.Bulbeck/Jones
10.MacLean
11.Johnson

When available, Tres for Bowler and Caddick for whichever of the bowlers has got injured in the first two games!:!(

Last edited:

jf2001

Cricket Web Staff Member
Welcome Frome Exile

Nice to hear from you Frome Exile....

I have to say that I completely agree with your prrediction and my guesswotk matches your completely. I think Laraman will make more of an impact than some people guessed and Bryant could be crucial. I hope to see you again on Somerset Talk,

cheers....

John, Editor :D

PS: Don't know how exile from Frome you are but I write a weekly piece for the free paper The taunton Times if you're looking for award-winning journalism.......:lol: :lol: :lol:

jf2001

Cricket Web Staff Member
Can't Write for Toffee

I have to apologise for my last post as I am in a rush and just typed, head down. In horror, I then saw all the typos, perhaps Fleet Street doesn't beckon....

Frome Exile

Cricket Spectator
Modifications!

Might be forced to admit that at least one spot is probably wrong. From what's been seen so far, and from Shiner's comments reported on Grockle's.com, it looks like Francis may well start ahead of either Bully or Jonah.

Also, I still reckon he'll start, but Laraman could do with some wickets in Loughborough's second dig!!

John,
Exiled from Frome almost twenty-two years ago! To Cambridge via the Isle of Wight and then Bristol!
But between yourself and Grockle, I'm more in touch with Somerset Cricket now than ever!
Thanks, and keep up the good work!

Last edited:

Frome Exile

Cricket Spectator
Francis

Looks a definite now, after three cheap student wickets.

I bet he particularly enjoyed the caught and bowled off his little brother!

Langeveldt

Soutie
Simon Francis bowled an amazing over, he got his brother John out, then took two more wickets in two balls after that... But the Loughborough keeper and their number four (Vikram Atri) who looks quite good guided them to a bit of a tedious draw