• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Gilchrist, walking, appealing and sportsmanship

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
And comparing this to rapists... is that you C_C? The completely illogical argument, the extreme comparisons. Either C_C or his long lost brother.
BTW, I hope you remember people's response the last time you and C_C were involved. And, more significantly, your response to them.

howardj

International Coach
What all these posts clearly demonstrate is that there are alot of people who watch cricket who have never played the game in their life. But their real good armchair players & umpires it seems.
Gilly & anyone else in the world is entitled to appeal for something they feel is possibly out, its not up to them to say yes or no thats what umpires are for, they dont even need to be definate or to have seen what happened to appeal they are allowed to do it simply to support the team mates around them in their appeal, it doesnt make them a cheat like some tossers here suggest. If they know it wasnt out I think most players generally react differently & it shows. Just like for alot of LBW's the keeper & first slip etc might appeal loudly but third slip cant see the angle as well but doesnt mean he doesnt have a go with his teams appeal.
Its quite possible for someone to take a catch & not fully know if it bounced etc just like its possible for a edge to hit the bat but not be felt or heard by even the batsmen holding the bat so to nit pick every little thing about every umpire decision is rediculous in my view as your only going to go grey really early.
I will tell you what bad sportmanship is, its losing a game then doing nothing but bitching & moaning about it for days to come afterwards & to even be as childish as to contemplate not playing the remainder of the series. (im taking my bat & ball & going home to mummy, cry cry)
As for Australia not playing the game in the best spirit well sorry the Indians clearly require us to racially abuse them more to keep up with their game expectations. Does anyone even realise the whole Indian team is black??? der...
As for Pontings catch it was clearly a catch from what Ive seen as he clearly has caught the ball, then while holding it in his hand has simply used the ball on the ground to support himself, doesnt mean he hasnt already caught it. The ball clearly hit the glove so Doni must be a cheat going by some of the comments around this place.

I say well done Aussies on another fantastic win & may you have 16 more in a row.
No mate, you are the one who seems to have never played the game before in your life, if you think that cricketers only appeal when they think a guy is out. You're in absolute la la land...looking forward to the Easter Bunny coming along in two months.

ozone

First Class Debutant
No mate, you are the one who seems to have never played the game before in your life, if you think that cricketers only appeal when they think a guy is out. You're in absolute la la land...looking forward to the Easter Bunny coming along in two months.
Couldn't agree with that more TBH.

Stu274

Cricket Spectator
Where did I say "cricketers only appeal when they think a guy is out."? Can you read?
My main point was I dont see how they can be called cheats simply for asking the question.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Why is everyone saying 'la la land'!? It's a saying that should be reserved for businessmen wearing poorly co-ordinated suits and retirees at nursing homes in my opinion. :sleep:

howardj

International Coach
Where did I say "cricketers only appeal when they think a guy is out."? Can you read?
My main point was I dont see how they can be called cheats simply for asking the question.
By defending Gilchrist yesterday and saying that they are entitled to appeal for something if they think 'it's possibly out', in effect you are saying that they thought Dravid was possibly out. It beggars belief that Gilchrist thought Dravid was possibly out. Cricketers appeal all the time when they know it's not out - Adam Gilchrist and the Australians are no exception.

And yes, they are cheats if they ask the question knowing the batsman is not out. That is cheating in my book.

netmatrix

Cricket Spectator
Gilchrist shouldn't be called a cheat for "simply asking the question" (if that's his way of asking a question, I'd like to see his celebration), but then by that same token, he shouldn't be held in high regard for great sportsmanship for walking either.