• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australia didn't play the Sydney test in the true spirit of the game?

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I have seen Kumble say on video from the official match press conference:

"Only one team played the game in the true spirit of the game."

What is your view?

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
I'd like to hear his argument. It may be that whatever he's talking about wouldn't have been apparent to spectators.

edit: Without knowing any more details however, it seems very much like sour grapes, and very disappointing.

Last edited:

sideshowtim

Banned
Very poor from Kumble. Very poor indeed. A shame because I do have alot of respect for him as a player.

Australia did nothing against the spirit of the game. Since when was it "against the spirit of the game" not to walk when even members of the Indian team wait to see the decision? The umpires were poor without a doubt, but to claim Australia didn't play within the true spirit of the game is pretty ludicrous.

Flem274*

123/5
Very poor from Kumble. Very poor indeed. A shame because I do have alot of respect for him as a player.

Australia did nothing against the spirit of the game. Since when was it "against the spirit of the game" not to walk when even members of the Indian team wait to see the decision? The umpires were poor without a doubt, but to claim Australia didn't play within the true spirit of the game is pretty ludicrous.
Theres no denying a few people had a fair bit to say out there. I know of the Harbhajan incident but an Aussie could have said something. Also some of those catches were marginal at best.

So no its not ludicrous, he could be wrong but its not ludicrous. Whats ludicrous is the amount of **** being posted in the tour thread by certain posters from both sides as though they have big shiny halos on their heads.

Arrow

U19 Vice-Captain
Aussies played dirty and probably the umpires. No way in the world they could be sure the ball carried to clarke at that pace yet no 3rd umpire just listening to ponting give his approval for dismisal. Farce.

They the huge appeal for dravid being 1 foot from the ball and gilchrist being in full view of it and still appealing even if it was only half hearted. Just dirty.

Then clarke not even being honest and admitting he wasnt sure he caught it just going with the charade, how ironic this cheat and symonds were the heros who sunk india. Really pathetic match. Bucnknor must go hes just guessing out there.

Laurrz

International Debutant
Aussies played dirty and probably the umpires. No way in the world they could be sure the ball carried to clarke at that pace yet no 3rd umpire just listening to ponting give his approval for dismisal. Farce.

They the huge appeal for dravid being 1 foot from the ball and gilchrist being in full view of it and still appealing even if it was only half hearted. Just dirty.

Then clarke not even being honest and admitting he wasnt sure he caught it just going with the charade, how ironic this cheat and symonds were the heros who sunk india. Really pathetic match. Bucnknor must go hes just guessing out there.
correct me if im wrong but i thought i heard Kumble agree to the fielders word whether they catch it or not

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Says the guy who refused to shake the hand of an umpire afterwards. Even the most vehement and blustery coaches in American baseball, even after they've had a nose-to-nose argument with them, shake hands after the game because it's an acknowledgment that even if they've made mistakes, that's all they were; mistakes. This sort of hooplah makes me wonder whether Kumble has bought into the conspiracy hype.

I've always been a big fan of Kumble and I'm prepared to believe he just made a mistake in the heat of the moment but to infer that India was the only team playing in the right spirit is a bit nasty. Blaming the umpires makes it worse too; it's not as if India didn't get enough luck go their way against England over there. They sure enjoyed that series win and I don't think the Auissie should be in any way apologetic for doing the same (aside from the Dravid dismissal; that was poor form by Gillie I reckon).

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
TBBH, I couldn't say for sure whether Ponting would say the same thing - especially if it was in India. To Kumble's credit, he hasn't sanitised a thing of what he's said, and stayed entirely cliche-free.

Would laugh if this series was turned into an ABC mini-series with Gary Sweet as Tendulkar and Hugo Weaving playing Ponting, though. Looks like it's going down that path.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
TBBH, I couldn't say for sure whether Ponting would say the same thing - especially if it was in India. To Kumble's credit, he hasn't sanitised a thing of what he's said, and stayed entirely cliche-free.

Would laugh if this series was turned into an ABC mini-series with Gary Sweet as Tendulkar and Hugo Weaving playing Ponting, though. Looks like it's going down that path.
Would watch that tbh.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Pretty sure in the end he did shake their hands.
Nah he only did it because someone told him to. Conspiracy I tell you!

Perhaps should have put a 'If condition X is met, then......' before my post where;

x = Kumble refused to shake any umpires' hands after the match.

Too late to claim my account was hacked by JustTool?