• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Zimbabwe to tour England but at what cost?

PY

International Coach
Just heard (not confirmed as of yet) that Zimbabwe are going to tour England this summer but only after the ECB promised that we will tour Zimbabwe next winter. Well what can you say?:!( :!( :!( :!( :!( :!( :!( :!( I hope someone gets themselves in gear and says bog off to them earlier instead of later. After what's happened to Olonga we surely can't tour Zimbabwe.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
We can't tour them in the winter, we are touring Bangladesh and Sri Lanka...

I think a tour of the West Indies has been too long in the waiting...when can we watch some "smooth" cricket? We toured Sri Lanka not long ago, but West Indies not since before 99...

Since 99 we toured Australia, South Africa, Zimbabwe several times, NZ, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, India...we are only missing Bangladesh and West Indies...so why are we going to Sri Lanka again after touring Bangladesh?

PY

International Coach
A quote from Ceefax states that we are to tour "next year" :rolleyes: Sorry Rik thanks for correcting me!!:D

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
marc71178 said:
Rik, we're out in WI next year (ie 12 months time)
About time! :rolleyes:

So why have we toured Sri Lanka and had them come over and will go over and play them early next year with only the WIndies coming over in 2000? It just confuses me as there is supposed to be a fixture list for the Championship sorted out which involves people actually playing each other with some regularity...

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Neil Pickup said:
That is an absolute ******* disgrace.
Indeed, why don't they stick to their stance they took in the WC rather than suddenly bending over after it has finished to get down to some serious arse kissing?

Langeveldt

Soutie
Cricket or no cricket for Zimbabwe, Mugabes policy will not change, because Mugabe himself wont change...

Let Zimbabwe tour, let them have their money for it will be put to a good cause....
If Zimbabwe get boycotted, Mugabe might chuckle a bit to himself, but nothing will change, there will still be thousands of other Olonga's and Flowers being driven out of the country....

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Langeveldt said:
If Zimbabwe get boycotted, Mugabe might chuckle a bit to himself, but nothing will change, there will still be thousands of other Olonga's and Flowers being driven out of the country....
The same way Apartheid never changed?

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
"England did not come to Zimbabwe because of safety and security concerns only and there was no political agenda."

Nineteen words that give the ECB even less credibility than it had already, uttered by David Morgan in a Harare meeting today.

This followed the ECB's decision not to go to Zimbabwe in the World Cup which looked like it might have been a sign of backbone.

Money Talks, however.

Even with the atrocious treatment that Henry Olonga has received of late, the ECB can still shut its eyes and go in. How come there's safety concern now? Why was the World Cup game forfeited before the current round of beatings that even South Africa have criticised?

It's Money Talking again. The players are likely to be safe. Forget morality and the Zimbabwean people. If you weren't fully aware of the extent of Mugabe's depravity, you cannot fail to realise it now. By shutting their eyes and putting their hands in the till, the ECB's World Cup stance is looking on dodgier ground by the day.

Have they completely forgotten about Henry?

Last edited:

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Yeh it has. That's why WI went to Bangladesh after India last year. :P
So explain to me why we went to NZ after India a year ago...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Rik said:
About time! :rolleyes:

So why have we toured Sri Lanka and had them come over and will go over and play them early next year with only the WIndies coming over in 2000? It just confuses me as there is supposed to be a fixture list for the Championship sorted out which involves people actually playing each other with some regularity...
In this case I think it's because the 10 year plan (now wrecked by India vs Pakistan) was drawn up, and the main aim was to get all playing all quickly (after the plan was implemented) - in this case it means we tour SL again before going to WI, but a lot of that is probably to do with when's best to play each nation.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Rik said:
So explain to me why we went to NZ after India a year ago...
Doubled up Pak and SL.

NZ cannot be played at any other time, since Aus is a longer tour.

Therefore add the 2 together, since they want 2 competitive trips a winter?