• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Masterblaster's CricketWeb Young Player Of 2002/03

masterblaster

International Captain
The World Cup has just concluded, and after a year of tough cricket, these are the best youngest players who have surfaced. Age category: (16-24)

Here are the nominees:

N Bracken (AUS)
M Clarke (AUS)
P Collingwood (ENG)
J Anderson (ENG)
J Oram (NZL)
G Smith (RSA)
B Dippenaar (RSA)
D Fernando (SL)
M Vermeulen (ZIM)
T Taibu (ZIM)
R Sarwan (WI)
M Samuels (WI)
Y Singh (IND)
V Sehwag (IND)
A Nehra (IND)
T Umar (PAK)
M Sami (PAK)
Y Khan (PAK)

Choose, your young player of the year.

Last edited:

masterblaster

International Captain
Me personally, it comes down to

G Smith, Sarwan, Sehwag, Nehra, Anderson

these 5 players have improved everygame and done exceptionally well.

I cant really decide afterwards.........

R_Powell_fan

U19 Captain
I think it would have to be Ramnaresh Sarwan because of the consistency he has shown this season, truly increadible..... The others masterblaster has mentioned weren't as consistent as Sarwan.

Eclipse

International Debutant
Well I would like to say M.Clark but considering he has only played 1 ODI this summer will go for Sarwan.

with a very special mention to James Anderson.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
ill say collingwood, seeing as though england dont win anything else

PY

International Coach
Sehwag for pure entertainment and conventional/unconventional shot repertoire
Sarwan for consistency and success in both forms of the game and the balls to come out and bat again after being tonked on the head.
8D

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Both Aussies have barely played any International Cricket so I dunno why they are there...

I would say a combination of Anderson, Sarwan and Marlon Samuels :)

V Reddy

International Debutant
Why didn't you mention Zaheer.He came on really well since the Eng Series. Mr. Rik what did Samuels do? He scored only 1 century and only played 4-5 matches. But i think it's got to be Ramnaresh.

PY

International Coach
I'm a batsmen so I'm never going to choose a bowler unless he has blown everyone away consistently which none of the above have. Some have on occasions but not over the whole year.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
vishnureddy said:
Why didn't you mention Zaheer.He came on really well since the Eng Series. Mr. Rik what did Samuels do? He scored only 1 century and only played 4-5 matches. But i think it's got to be Ramnaresh.
I don't see no "Mr" in front of my name.

Samuels has grown in stature during the year and kept on improving, improvement is important when you are picking young player of the year, that's why I would included him.

Anyway Zaheer is 24, most of the players in the list are younger, that's why he probably wasn't included.

V Reddy

International Debutant
Rik said:
I don't see no "Mr" in front of my name.

Samuels has grown in stature during the year and kept on improving, improvement is important when you are picking young player of the year, that's why I would included him.

Anyway Zaheer is 24, most of the players in the list are younger, that's why he probably wasn't included.
Just wanted to give some respect to you after all the bashing ;). Then by your statement then we can also give it to Clarke b'coz he has grown in stature and made it to the Aus team and played a match winning 37* :yawn: . You can't know whether Samuels has improved or not till he plays the big teams. All he played was on very very flat tracks in which every batsman got runs.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
vishnureddy said:
Just wanted to give some respect to you after all the bashing ;). Then by your statement then we can also give it to Clarke b'coz he has grown in stature and made it to the Aus team and played a match winning 37* :yawn: . You can't know whether Samuels has improved or not till he plays the big teams. All he played was on very very flat tracks in which every batsman got runs.
We can't give it to Clarke as he's not had the chance. You saw how Samuels stood up to the Aussies didn't you? He's made of the right stuff and he got some good scores this year. Actually Chris Gayle ain't old and other than the WC (cept for one good 100) he's had a good year. I'll go for him ;)

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
For cricket's sake I hope Mark Vermulen of Zimbabwe realises his potential, they need him. :)

I would go with Nehra and Yuvraj. Nehra was awesome in the world cup, the "young Akram" is said to be a golden discovery in the words of Greg Chappel. Even in the final when all the other Indian pacers played crap cricket Nehra was better and showed maturity.

Yuvraj also impressed with his batting and his fighting spirit.I think these two players have a long and bright future!

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
vandemataram said:
I would go with Nehra and Yuvraj. Nehra was awesome in the world cup, the "young Akram" is said to be a golden discovery in the words of Greg Chappel. Even in the final when all the other Indian pacers played crap cricket Nehra was better and showed maturity.
Yes but other than that he's not done much, one good series does not a player make :). And I still don't see the supposed similarity between him and the world's greatest Left Arm Seamer...

Last edited:

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
N Bracken (AUS)
M Clarke (AUS) - Can't give it too either of these two as it's an international award and neither have set the world alight internationally (haven't had the chances with what's in front of them).
P Collingwood (ENG) - Has had a very solid season, and is maturing very nicely, nothing that special though.
J Anderson (ENG) - Stunning debuts, still a touch raw to win the award for me.
J Oram (NZL) - Has done well and solidly, hasn't really stood out though, similar to Collingwood.
G Smith (RSA) - Limited impact consistency-wise, and he's a whinger.
B Dippenaar (RSA) - I have hardly noticed the guy this year.
D Fernando (SL) - He bowls too many no-balls... and has done very little outstanding.
M Vermeulen (ZIM) - Good start vs Ken/Pak - but a poor WC rules him out
T Taibu (ZIM) - One of my favourite players and arguably one of the best keepers in the world - but doesn't compete with the other candidates
R Sarwan (WI) - A leading contender, stunning ODI average and showed a lot of 'balls' - the SL innings. Could lose the ear ring, however.
M Samuels (WI) - Came of age in India, but missed most of the WC and screwed my Fantasy League team. No award for you.
Y Singh (IND) - Like Collingwood and Oram, he's been fairly solid bar some explosive innings - but failed in NZ, badly
V Sehwag (IND) - Is showing that he's got fight as well as a vast array of shots. Could have done with not being bowled off his legs by Giles in summer - Ramprakesh-like ? over concentration, maybe?
A Nehra (IND) - Still inconsistent - good in the WI, a dismal tour of England and average in NZ but a good WC. Annual award, you ain't getting it for five months' perfomances. Same goes for Zaheer, lower peaks but shallower troughs.
T Umar (PAK)
M Sami (PAK)
Y Khan (PAK) - Not in that Pakistani team, no-one's stood out for me in a bad season.

On review, Sarwan.

Last edited:

Langeveldt

Soutie
Ill probably go for james Anderson...

Id hardly heard of him before he came to the England scene, and hes done really well..

Neil, Why does Graham Smith whinge? Is it because he got called a F***** c*** consistently in Australia and complained?