• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Masterblaster's CricketWeb Young Player Of 2002/03

R_Powell_fan

U19 Captain
Nehra has been wildly inconsistent, in fact his test series in the WI was good but he was bowling between 134-136 kph back then.

V Reddy

International Debutant
R_Powell_fan said:
Nehra has been wildly inconsistent, in fact his test series in the WI was good but he was bowling between 134-136 kph back then.
But i think he was much better then. He used to swing the ball a long way. It used to pitch on the off and hit leg. But since the Eng tour he doesn't swing even slightly. An odd ball moves away from the batsman pitching on the seam. I remember Holding saying during the WI tour that Nehra will be hard to face in England b'coz if he can get that much swing in WI then you can't imagine how much he will swing it in Eng. Also his speed increased b'coz of his fitness. Nehra said that it was the result of the work put in by the two physios Andrew and Andrian.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
R_Powell_fan said:
Chris......the thread is titled best player of the season not a series not a world cup but a whole season :rolleyes:
Nah well he did well in both the WC and the VB Series. But this is about the whole of last year really. The question is who's done it most consistantly...Gayle had a good time but some poor times so he can't be picked...stuff like that.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Ramnaresh Sarwan. He really came of age this season and was impressively consistent throughout.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Its gotta be Sehwag IMO.

The batting conditions here in NZ were hopeless in January and Sehwag scored 2 centuries & ended up averaging something like 40 over 7 ODI's.

Its all very well to go & score heaps on Indian grounds because they are small & the pitches are ideal for batting. From that list it comes down to Sehwag & Sarwan, but I think Sehwag takes the cake because when he finally becomes consistent he'll nail any bowling attack.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Sarwan is good, don't get me wrong but I feel Sehwag can still take it to another level yet.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
IMO, Sehwag at best is as good as Sarwan but likely not. When watching Sarwan bat, sometimes you just get the impression that you just can't get him out. This has been reflected in the fact that he's piled up some quality unbeaten knocks in the past year or so.

Hopefully his current injury won't affect his batting (ie when he returns to fitness.)

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I still have visions of Sarwan when he toured Australia, so I'd like to see him continue this form for another year & if he does well probably by then he'll be seen as one of the top 3 batsmen.

Sehwag seems to start nervously, i've noticed like Ponting that if you get a quick bowler to give him a widish ball outside offstump, he'll have a go at it and give an edge to the slips.