• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Harbhajan reignites racism storm

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Think it deserves its own separate thread TBH, the Gibbs row of a similar nature did a year ago.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Can you move posts from the tour thread here?
Btw,this is turning into a media battle too as the Indian media and experts are backing harbhajan and aussies seem to be backing symonds.

ozone

First Class Debutant
I doubt anything will come of it unless it was picked up by a stump-mic or something. It quite probably was said (I don't buy the argument that the Aussies are making it up to distract Harbahjan) but it would be difficult to prove definitively.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Racism in every form should be shunned. However, in this particular incident, Harbhajan Singh has denied the allegation. So it is the word of Symonds v the word of Harbhajan Singh. I don't know which players and umpires heard what yet. Till a verdict is passed and I know more details, I wont be judgemental and start bashing Harbhajan Singh yet. We have already had more than our fair share of drama for this test though and it is a controversy which the series could have done without.

archie mac

International Coach
Just watching the highlights and HS clearly says to the umpire "no, I didn't"

Not like Australians to be crying foul, what was the problem? We could not get him out?8-)

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
- Lot of **** written in the Australian newspapers. Bhogle showed a few today.

- One piece was on how caste determines who is selected for India. Another piece was saying Harbhajan to be sent home.

- Bhogle has pointed out that judgements used to be passed based on evidence and there has been no evidence presented yet.

- It is irritating how Harbhajan Singh is suddenly being pronounced villain by a lot of people,before a judgement has been passed.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
- Lot of **** written in the Australian newspapers. Bhogle showed a few today.

- One piece was on how caste determines who is selected for India. Another piece was saying Harbhajan to be sent home.

- Bhogle has pointed out that judgements used passed based on evidence and there has been no evidence presented yet.

- It is irritating how Harbhajan Singh is suddenly being pronounced villain by a lot of people before a judgement has been passed.
Agree here.

That being said, I still seriously am annoyed at Harbhajan.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
That being said, I still seriously am annoyed at Harbhajan.
Why? Do you know he was racist? A bit of niggle in the middle, as long as it is not racist is not a big issue. An allegation by Australia has been made that he acted in a racist manner. We don't know yet whether he did or not.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Agree with P FTR, it's plain madness that this has happened again, but as of yet we don't really know a lot other than that the accusation has been made. No sense condemning anyone until it has been substantiated.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
To quote Christian Ryan again: when he talked of Conn last Australian summer, he described him as "writing as if auditioning for a Baggy Green cap himself". Says it all, really.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Just been listening to Sky's take on the incident during the rain break. Apparently the umps heard nothing and the report was made solely on a complaint made by Ponting. It was very interesting to see Benson cover his mouth with his hand so lip-readers couldn't ascertian what may or may not have been said tho. Judging by that the alleged comment must've been quite serious indeed.

I personally think that unless Symonds has an ear witness Harbhajan will be exonerated tho.