• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Wisden all time best ODI Innings.

Eclipse

International Debutant
Ponting's knock was rated by Wisden as the second best one-day innings of all time. Here's the top 20 innings.

1 IVA Richards 189* WI v Eng, Old Trafford, 1984 257.6
2 RT Ponting 140* Aust v India, Jo'burg, 2002-03 252.5
3 IVA Richards 138* WI v Eng, Lord's, 1979 245.8
4 ST Jayasuriya 189 SL v India, Sharjah, 2000-01 245.3
5 Kapil Dev 175* India v Zim, Tunbridge Wells, 1983 241.9
6 Saeed Anwar 194 Pak v India, Chennai, 1996-97 225.6
7 DI Gower 158 Eng v NZ, Brisbane, 1982-83 219.8
8 BC Lara 169 WI v SL, Sharjah, 1995-96 215.2
9 PA de Silva 107* SL v Aust, Lahore, 1995-96 212.9
10 CH Lloyd 102 WI v Aust, Lord's, 1975 209.8
11 BC Lara 153 WI v Pak, Sharjah, 1993-94 204.5
12 IVA Richards 181 WI v SL, Karachi, 1987-88 203.1
13 BC Lara 146* WI v NZ, Port-of-Spain, 1995-96 202.9
14 SP Fleming 146* NZ v SA, Johannesburg, 2002-03 202.3
15 ST Jayasuriya 151* SL v India, Mumbai, 1996-97 201.1
16 PA de Silva 134 SL v Pak, Sharjah, 1996-97 201.0
17 A Symonds 143* Aust v Pak, Johannesburg, 2002-03 200.6
18 ME Waugh 173 Aust v WI, Melbourne, 2000-01 200.1
19 RL Powell 124 WI v India, Singapore, 1999-2000 199.5
20 SR Waugh 120* Aust v SA, Headingley, 1999 199.2

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Since I started watching cricket on television back in 1990, Ponting's century yesterday for me was the best I have seen.
I totally agree with Wisden that it is worthy of a top 3 placing.

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
It was good but I would say its overrated in that list, given the amount of absolute amateurish bowling that he got.I don't have to look much further then this world cup itself to see a better innings....Andrew Symonds 143* against Pakistan would rate higher then that.

Last edited:

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
What about Tendulkar's two wonderful centuries against Australia in Sharjah? Wouldn't even one of them rate a mention in the top 20?

krkode

State Captain
anilramavarma said:
What about Tendulkar's two wonderful centuries against Australia in Sharjah? Wouldn't even one of them rate a mention in the top 20?
That's exactly what I was looking for! :(

Those were truly masterful...:wow:

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
anilramavarma said:
My point was that, even by not looking at anything outside of that list and more specifically outside this world cup, I think one can still find a better innings then Ponting's.

And Tendulkar's efforts in that Sharjah tournament in 1998 surely needs to be up there somewhere in that list.

krkode

State Captain
And personally, I didn't think Ponting's innings was that great. Aus were on top from the first ball of that game. First ball: no ball. They were in control of that game every single delivery. Never once did their progress look doubtful, if you ask me. Given that, I wouldn't really rate is as "one of the best". If Ponting failed, someone else would have delivered, Aus would have reached 300 odd, and would have still won.

Now, if the above list constitutes of the best 20 technical knocks, then maybe Ponting's would be in there. But if we're talking about the most inspirationally superb, and in-the-face-of-danger superb kind of innings, I wouldn't have it even in my top 10 :P

royGilchrist

State 12th Man
The best ODI innings I have seen was Miandad's match winning innings against India in the austrailasia final in '86 I think, a bit of a pakistani bias there maybe, but still it was just an awesome innings, and should have been there somewhere.

Three innings from this world cup is a little too much, I personally thought Fleming's innings was the best in all of them, and probably Sachin's against Pak could have been included.

Also, is century a pre-requisite for a good ODI innings.

No Bevan or S Waugh?

krkode

State Captain
royGilchrist said:
The best ODI innings I have seen was Miandad's match winning innings against India in the austrailasia final in '86 I think, a bit of a pakistani bias there maybe, but still it was just an awesome innings, and should have been there somewhere.

Three innings from this world cup is a little too much, I personally thought Fleming's innings was the best in all of them, and probably Sachin's against Pak could have been included.

Also, is century a pre-requisite for a good ODI innings.

No Bevan or S Waugh?
I think they were just rating the best ODI centuries of all time. Because there a hec of a lot non-centuries that were great too :)

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
royGilchrist said:
The best ODI innings I have seen was Miandad's match winning innings against India in the austrailasia final in '86...
You had to bring that up, didn't you ? :( :(

But yes, that innings was one of the greatest ever played that I have seen, although I, and a lot of Indian fans, were in no mood for the period before Miandad retired, to accept its cricketing value.....it was just one of those innings that left an wound :!( ...such was its power.

No Bevan or S Waugh?
There is a Steve Waugh innings in that list(although in my opinion, much lower then where it actually should be)....the one he played against SA in 1999 world cup.

Also Bevan's hundred against NZ in the VB series in 2001-02 where he won the match for Aus coming from nowhere has to be right up there somewhere in that list.

krkode

State Captain
royGilchrist said:
Was that the six off the last ball and he made it innings? :wow: Never got to see that match...:duh:

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
aussie_beater said:
There is a Steve Waugh innings in that list(although in my opinion, much lower then where it actually should be)....the one he played against SA in 1999 world cup.
Steve Waugh was dropped...I mean given not out :rolleyes: fairly early in his knock wasn't he? Gibbs the culprit. As such, I wouldn't say that it should be all that high on the list of all-time best centuries.

krkode

State Captain
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Steve Waugh was dropped...I mean given not out :rolleyes: fairly early in his knock wasn't he? Gibbs the culprit. As such, I wouldn't say that it should be all that high on the list of all-time best centuries.
Depends on whether the rating is for technical quality or for excellence in the face of defeat.

Kimbo

International Debutant
Yep I reckon Bevan's innings against NZ in the VB series was outstanding.

Fleming's innings against SA was awesome too given his normally defensive approach.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Steve Waugh was dropped...I mean given not out fairly early in his knock wasn't he? Gibbs the culprit. As such, I wouldn't say that it should be all that high on the list of all-time best centuries.
Oh come on, you're saying luck didn't play a part in all of these innings? So Steve Waugh was dropped by Gibbs; he made the most of it and won Australia the game which puts his innings above those of Powell, Mark Waugh and Viv's 181 which were against pop-gun attacks.

Again, this list is a disgrace. What more did Steve Waugh have to do to make his innings any better???

krkode

State Captain
Paid The Umpire said:
What about TENDULKAR's massive 4 off 5 balls in the 2003 World Cup Final!

He stood up well, under pressure.
YEAH!! What about that? That definitely needs to be there :!(