• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Wisden all time best ODI Innings.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm going to buy the DVD of Astle's innings since I only managed to see 4 balls of it...

Langeveldt

Soutie
Rik said:
I'm going to buy the DVD of Astle's innings since I only managed to see 4 balls of it...

Oh if its fours and sixes you like, that is definitely worth the money. Luckily I was recording at the time, have watched it a number of times since..

I thought that test was the best I have seen..One of the best ever test matches?

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Best Test I've seen:

West Indies v Australia 3rd Test in WI 1999

West Indies won by 1 wicket.
BC Lara 153* chasing over 300.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Another candidate for best test ever(although this thread isn't really about that) is the Calcutta test, Ind vs Aus, the VVSLaxman special.

krkode

State Captain
anilramavarma said:
Another candidate for best test ever(although this thread isn't really about that) is the Calcutta test, Ind vs Aus, the VVSLaxman special.
Yeah, IMO, that IS probably the best test knock ever...

Another would have to be Dravid's knock in that very same innings :P

And another would have to be Brian Lara's double hundred against Australia in the WI.

Unfortunately, I have never seen any Viv Richards, Zaheer Abbas, or any of the old greats' innings. My repoirtoir of great test innings starts at 1997 :P

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
krkode said:

Another would have to be Dravid's knock in that very same innings :P

And another would have to be Brian Lara's double hundred against Australia in the WI.

Unfortunately, I have never seen any Viv Richards, Zaheer Abbas, or any of the old greats' innings. My repoirtoir of great test innings starts at 1997 :P
Best Test Innings Ever? You must be forgetting the 2 record Test Innings, Sobers' 365* and Lara's 375 :wow:

Top_Cat

Gavaskar's double ton in chasing 400+ against England would have to rate pretty highly too. Steve Waugh's 200 against the WI in 1995? Derek Randall's 174 against Australia in 1977? To say Laxman's was a better innings than any of those is a big call.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Considering an innings under the catergories of pressure and class, here are my nominees for top innings:

BC Lara 153* v Australia
http://www-usa.cricket.org/link_to_..._IN_WI/SCORECARDS/AUS_WI_T3_26-30MAR1999.html
Consider the rest of the WI 2nd innings scorecard if you're having trouble understanding the greatness of this innings. 206 runs were scored after Hooper was 5th man out. Only 55 of those runs came of the bat of the other batsmen. If that's not greatness, what is?

VVS Laxman 281 v Australia
http://www-usa2.cricket.org/link_to...N_IND/SCORECARDS/AUS_IND_T2_11-15MAR2001.html
What can I say, except that he did the impossible. Simply wonderful display of resistance and irresistable strokeplay.

These are only innings which I have seen. I will list more as I remember them.

BTW, ironic that both are against the Aussies. :) I guess they just have to be involved in the best of everything. How selfish....:)

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I've got Astle's DVD, its a good watch. lol.

Yeah it won't be one of the greatest, because it wasn't a test winning knock but it would have been interesting had Astle won it with Cairns at the other end batting with 1 leg .

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
Top_Cat said:
Gavaskar's double ton in chasing 400+ against England would have to rate pretty highly too. Steve Waugh's 200 against the WI in 1995? Derek Randall's 174 against Australia in 1977? To say Laxman's was a better innings than any of those is a big call.
I have not seen that Gavaskar double hundred against England, but I have seen two innings of tremedous character from Gavaskar.One was his 236* against WI at Madras in 1984 and that was scored after he came in with India at 0-4 and another was his 96 against Pakistan at Bangalore in 1987, although India lost that match.

Gotchya

State Vice-Captain
Langeveldt said:
Ive never seen it, but Shahid Afridi's 37 ball 100 sounds pretty special. Did anyone see it??
I have, in bad print. But yes it was a brutal innings he played. Murdered Jayasuriya and the other spin bowlers that Sri Lanka usually have on in the middle overs.It was good strong and solid hitting. Through the line ofcourse. I dont rate it highly though.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
aussie_beater said:
I have not seen that Gavaskar double hundred against England, but I have seen two innings of tremedous character from Gavaskar.One was his 236* against WI at Madras in 1984 and that was scored after he came in with India at 0-4 and another was his 96 against Pakistan at Bangalore in 1987, although India lost that match.
0-4, when was this?

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
marc71178 said:
0-4, when was this?
I am sorry it was 0-2....India went on to score some 450 odd runs and Gavaskar had 236 of them....it was in 1983-1984 when Lloyd's WI came on a revenge tour to India after the 1983 world cup and beat the crapola out of them....it's been so long ago and I was just a kid at that time, that I can't remember the stuff correctly.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
OK mate - there's only ever been one 0-4, and Trueman was at the start of his career then, so I guessed Gavaskar wasn't about!

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
marc71178 said:
OK mate - there's only ever been one 0-4, and Trueman was at the start of his career then, so I guessed Gavaskar wasn't about!
Oh...I know what you are talking about...that was when Trueman demolished India sometime in the fifties...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
That's the one.

Actually, reading this month's WCM I remembered England's start to the SA series, 2-4.

Don't think anyone else has done that bad for the fall of the first 4 wickets.

(oh, and yes Rik, I've seen it, and no I don't agree)

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
aussie_beater said:
Talking about that 236*, IMO, there was an even better innings in the same series at Delhi. He hit 121 off 128(15 4s & 2 6s) deliveries and really flayed an attack containing Marshall, Holding, Davis and Daniel.

You are right, that 96 against Pakistan in Bangalore in his last test match was a classic, vintage Gavaskar innings. I watched that entire innings. The pitch was a minefield and he didn't miss a step during his innings, didn't get beaten once and was calm and collected as wickets tumbled around him. The innings finally ended tragically with an umpiring mistake(caught at slip off his arm guard). That was about the only way anyone could have got him out that day.

royGilchrist

State 12th Man
The Gavaskar innings in Banglore was amazing. A perfect demonstration of how to play spinners on a turning wicket. Not exagerrated foot movement, but he knew exactly when to come forward when to play from the backfoot. And I dont think I have ever seen that much spin before. Wasim got two wickets on two consecutive balls, but next over I think he was removed from the attack, Imran did not want to waste even one over before he brought on the spinner.

Still, if I remember correctly he was lucky to have not been given out on an earlier bat and pad.