• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best bottom four batsmen?

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Given the remarkable strength of the Australian lower order at the moment, I thought this was an interesting topic.

A lot of teams have good batsmen at 8 and 9, but in test cricket the bottom two tend to be a big drop off from that. I remember some lower orders in ODIs where almost everyone could be classed as an all-rounder, from New Zealand and South Africa in particular, but I can't recall a bottom 4 in test cricket better than this one.

Hogg at 8 averages 35 in FC cricket with a few centuries, and wouldn't be far off bowling all-rounder status. Lee at 9 averages over 20 in tests over an extended period and has been batting better in the last few years as well. Johnson's only had a short FC career but averages 26 with a few half-centuries, and has shown some skill with the bat at international level as well, and while Clark's FC record isn't anything special he looks a significant cut above your usual number 11 - more like a 9 or 10 in most sides.

Any better ones out there? Either in terms of skill or statistical record? Australia's tail a few years ago with Warne, Lee and Gillespie wasn't bad by comparison either, but I think Hogg and Clark are big improvements in their respective positions.

Laurrz

International Debutant
Australias the strongest definately

#2 is a tight one... Saffer is ok.. (Polly needs to play tho) India are ok (the two spinners can bat)

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Vettori
Franklin
Mills
Bond

Vettori and Franklin both have Test centuries (Vettori too), while Frankling also has a FC double. Mills and Bond with FC centuries too.

archie mac

International Coach
I don't know if it counts, but in the old days when they had sticky wickets, they sometimes reversed the order:)

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
NZ's bottom four in tests is ruined by Martin. If we were to have all players fit and a sane selection committee we could see a bottom four of Franklin, Vettori, Mills and Bond.

Flem274*

123/5
Vettori
Franklin
Mills
Bond

Vettori and Franklin both have Test centuries (Vettori too), while Frankling also has a FC double. Mills and Bond with FC centuries too.
AWTA. What I was going to say. Aussie and SA have pretty good ones but ours is superior IMO.

Craig

World Traveller
How good of a batsman was Dave Richardson? Richardson was sort of before my time as Boucher came in and shot to fame as Richardson came out. That and we didn't have cable TV either.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
How good of a batsman was Dave Richardson? Richardson was sort of before my time as Boucher came in and shot to fame as Richardson came out. That and we didn't have cable TV either.
Was very underrated batsmen for mine cus he batted about 9 in Tests. Overall was probably just below Healy as a batsmen.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
That takes the cake for me. Could be another country's middle order! Symcox has a test average of 28.50, and we all know what Klusener can do.
It was a one off, though, as thats the only time he's batted at 11 and the only time that bottom 4 appeared like that. Certainly, it is possibly the best bottom 4 ever seen in cricket, but if you were to go with consistency (i.e. the best bottom order that appeared regularly) it wouldn't.

So far the best seem to have one genuine rabbit at number 11 who detracts from what could possibly be a fantastic bottom four.

Warne, Lee, Gillespie would certainly be a great 8-10, as would Vettori, Franklin, Mills/Wiseman/Bond, and McMillan, Pollock, Klusener.

McGrath, Martin and Donald kind of make them look bad tbh.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
This one isnt bad.

Pringle, Daffy, Lewis and Richard Illingworth at 8-11

All have FC centuries, Lewis at 10 had a Test hundred and combined 8-11 had 33 FC centuries.

Warne, Lee, Gillespie would certainly be a great 8-10.
It isnt bad but Id take Healy, Warne, Gillespie over that in the days when Bevan batted at 7 and was the 2nd spinner.

Last edited:

Evermind

International Debutant
McGrath, Martin and Donald kind of make them look bad tbh.
Yeah I think any team with those 3 at #11 can't possible qualify as a great tail. McGrath was better than Walsh, but only by a hair. It was pretty hilarious watching him bat.

I think the current Australian tail is the strongest they've ever had. Hogg > Warne as a batsman in the long term I think, and Clark beats McGrath hands down.