• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best Fielding team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Heres an interesting stat from the World Cup: (wisden.com)

Most runs saved:

NZ - 87
S.A - 82
Kenya - 79
Ind - 75
Zim - 71
Holland - 53
Aus - 50
S.L - 49
Namibia - 49
Pak - 44
W.I - 43
Bangladesh - 35
Canada - 24
Eng - 24.

my god thats embarassing England. And surprisingly Australia is not in the top 3.

England did take alot of their chances & their mis-fields were not costly. Chris Cairns let NZ down badly in the field, he cost them alot of runs.

Kimbo

International Debutant
south africa would be the best fielding side the, because they only played pool matches

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Tim said:

my god thats embarassing England. And surprisingly Australia is not in the top 3.
I don't think you can read as much into that when you consider they only played 5 games (fewer than anyone else) and in 2 of them were so on top of the opposition that there weren't many opportunities to save runs since they weren't hitting the ball!

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Despite their troubles Zimbabwe have allways been one of the best fielding sides in the world and this shows that fact :)

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
On average, South Africa would have saved approximately 13 runs per game and NZ approx 11 r.p.g. which gives you a better idea. Australia would be at just under 4.5 and England at 4.8 so England actually did better on average. WI are around 7 :) :P .

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The fact India are so high shows how this 'stat' is bogus. They have a couple of sharp fielders (Kaif, Zaheer, Yuvraj) but the rest need some serious work on their ground fielding.

Australia and South Africa are clearly the better fielding sides (though Zim come awfully close). Seriously, ignore the stats and name me a weak fielder in either side.

The Aussie side:

Gilchrist
Hayden
Ponting
Martyn
Lehmann
Bevan
Symonds
Hogg
Bichel
Lee
McGrath

The closest to a weak fielder is probably Lehmann, and he got a great run-out yesterday, rarely drops a catch but is a little slow on the ground. Still, a solid and dependable fielder, as opposed to the other more brilliant guys.

krkode

State Captain
Top_Cat said:
The fact India are so high shows how this 'stat' is bogus. They have a couple of sharp fielders (Kaif, Zaheer, Yuvraj) but the rest need some serious work on their ground fielding.
The fact that they utilize those three and some other better ones by placing them in the best positions also makes a better than average fielding side.

It's not just about individual class when you judge "fielding" but more about how you place them and how the individuals handle their respective placing.

krkode

State Captain
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
India are just under 7 in average.
Oh! Bummer! ok, so this is a total. Okay, I get it...75/11 matches played.

Aus - only 50 :yawn: Perhaps they didn't have to actually dive around and "save" runs cuz they never really gave them away that freely :P

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
well thats full of crap

australia is clearly the best fielding side, especially as there is a team full of good fielders, not just a few good fielders in the tam

i would rank them

Aust
RSA
SRL
NZ
india
zim
kenya
WI
pak
bangladesh
the rest

krkode

State Captain
This is how my ranking would go. I rate Aus, NZ and Zim very highly...

Aus
SA
NZ
Zim
SL
Eng
Pak
Ind
WI

The rest I was unfortunate enough not to have seen. :(

V Reddy

International Debutant
krkode said:
This is how my ranking would go. I rate Aus, NZ and Zim very highly...

Aus
SA
NZ
Zim
SL
Eng
Pak
Ind
WI

The rest I was unfortunate enough not to have seen. :(
Indian fielding is not that bad now a days krkode. You must have seen the team when Jadeja , Azhar and those guys were there. But now a days the fielding is very good. You saw 2 matches in this WC and unfortunately India fared very badly in those matches. I will say it is on par with WI and Eng and Zim with AUS and NZ and Saf above it. I would say Pak and Srl are worse than us at the moment.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
age_master said:
well thats full of crap

australia is clearly the best fielding side, especially as there is a team full of good fielders, not just a few good fielders in the tam

i would rank them

Aust
RSA
SRL
NZ
india
zim
kenya
WI
pak
bangladesh
the rest
England below that lot? Or was that an oversight?!

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
You could just as easily turn the entire table upside down and title it 'how good the field placings were'.

Cloete

International Captain
nah. mainly due to the fact that ricky ponting and stephen fleming r 2 of the best captains going around.

anzac

International Debutant
I've said for a while that the NZ fielding looses little in comparison to Aus & SA, although I feel that they never reached the same levels as they did in the series V India.......

:)

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Who was the idiot who ranked Sri Lanka in the top 3? They have improved, but their ground fielding is poor to say the least most of the time.

Cloete

International Captain
that would be age_master lol. in the series vs aus and eng sri lanka were so ****!! especially in the first 2 games.

Status
Not open for further replies.