• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best Fielding team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
age_master said:
no, there is the odd dud in auuie first class cricket, but when you look at it, you can put the entire WC squad ahead of him, than the Aust A squad, and players like the waughs and then some, it would definatley go close to 50
No I don't think you can put all those ahead of him, you've obviously never even seen Hussain field have you? And to say the Waughs are better fielders, yes Mark Waugh is a great fielder but he no longer plays international cricket and I've never seen Steve Waugh do anything out of the ordinary sorry. He probably has but I've never seen it.

V Reddy

International Debutant
Rik said:
No I don't think you can put all those ahead of him, you've obviously never even seen Hussain field have you? And to say the Waughs are better fielders, yes Mark Waugh is a great fielder but he no longer plays international cricket and I've never seen Steve Waugh do anything out of the ordinary sorry. He probably has but I've never seen it.
What about Bevan? I saw him drop easy catches quite a few times.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
vishnureddy said:
What about Bevan? I saw him drop easy catches quite a few times.
Well to be fair there have been some poor fielders I've seen, the entire 2000 West Indians come to mind. Australia are no different, when they were over here and while Mark Waugh, Ricky Ponting and Shane Warne were showing off in the field there were definate weak links in Martyn, Harvey and even Steve Waugh. Now I've seen Harvey field brilliantly for Gloustershire but I haven't seen much of Martyn. Just because a team is a great team doesn't mean they have no weak links in the field...

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Rik said:
Well to be fair there have been some poor fielders I've seen, the entire 2000 West Indians come to mind.
Well, I would have to respond saying the entire 2001 England Ashes Team. :) Yes, they didn't field very well on that tour, but that doesn't make them all poor fielders. Jimmy Adams is a very good fielder and Gayle went for a year and a half without dropping a catch in Test cricket. Sarwan isn't half bad and Lara has a very safe pair of hands. Also, Hinds took a couple of blinders at short leg.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Well, I would have to respond saying the entire 2001 England Ashes Team. :) Yes, they didn't field very well on that tour, but that doesn't make them all poor fielders. Jimmy Adams is a very good fielder and Gayle went for a year and a half without dropping a catch in Test cricket. Sarwan isn't half bad and Lara has a very safe pair of hands. Also, Hinds took a couple of blinders at short leg.
Yeah we were appauling then I must admit. I can remember the Aussies dropping loads last Ashes series though, but hell everyone's human. The WIndies were appauling in 2000 in England though, apart from one good running catch by Hinds they managed to drop 8 catches in one ODI...

Mr Mxyzptlk

Did yoy not see the first Test??? Hinds took two splendid catches at short leg! I think Adams was the bowler.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Rik said:
they managed to drop 8 catches in one ODI...
Lol. I remember England dropping Gilchrist 5 times in one session!

My point is not that they didn't field poorly in that series but that you can't make a judgemental statement where you say that the entire team is comprised of poor fielders. Otherwise, I can say that the English team is made of poor fielders....but that would be ignorant of me.:)

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
age_master said:
no, there is the odd dud in auuie first class cricket, but when you look at it, you can put the entire WC squad ahead of him, than the Aust A squad, and players like the waughs and then some, it would definatley go close to 50
That's quite simply rubbish.

Okay... you have to pick one player to field at midwicket/cover to you.

McGrath or Hussain?
Lehmann or Hussain?
Bevan or Hussain?
Gillespie or Hussain?

I also have difficulty believing that Hauritz, Williams, Noffke, Clark, Kasprowicz, Bracken, MacGill etc etc are all better fielders than Hussain.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Did yoy not see the first Test??? Hinds took two splendid catches at short leg! I think Adams was the bowler.
Yeah, they just were totally out of it in most ways though from there after. I don't think they liked the weather.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Neil Pickup said:
That's quite simply rubbish.

Okay... you have to pick one player to field at midwicket/cover to you.

McGrath or Hussain?
Lehmann or Hussain?
Bevan or Hussain?
Gillespie or Hussain?

I also have difficulty believing that Hauritz, Williams, Noffke, Clark, Kasprowicz, Bracken, MacGill etc etc are all better fielders than Hussain.

yeah but you wont see hussain fielding on the boundary will you, if he did im sure you wouldn't see hm do anything like mcgrath or gillespie or bevan

and i would really like to see hussain at short leg where boof usually fields as well :)

hauritz is a pretty good fielder as is brackan and noffke, kaspa aint great and im not sure about the rest

BUT hussain is a batsman, compare him with batsmen for a more even analysis :)

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
age_master said:
yeah but you wont see hussain fielding on the boundary will you, if he did im sure you wouldn't see hm do anything like mcgrath or gillespie or bevan

and i would really like to see hussain at short leg where boof usually fields as well :)

hauritz is a pretty good fielder as is brackan and noffke, kaspa aint great and im not sure about the rest

BUT hussain is a batsman, compare him with batsmen for a more even analysis :)
No, since we are comparing FIELDERS why don't we compare them on their FIELDING instead?

Top_Cat

Nasser Hussain has a great pair of hands but he's hardly quick across the ground in the same way as a Ponting or Martyn. He's a fantastic catcher, though. I've seen him take some blinders.

Well Hauritz is a better ground fielder but given he's 10 years younger, well he'd want to be, yes? :) As for catching, well Hussain has to take this one on performance alone. Potentially, Hauritz is one of the best fielders in the world but he'll obviously have to prove himself like Hussain had to.

Mike Clarke is a decent fielder (again quicker because of the age gap) but Hussain has performance over potential in this one and must be rated the better fielder (in terms of catching) than any of those guys.

Gotchya

State Vice-Captain
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Jonty was and always will be the best. All other fielders are but mere mortals! :)

Dont know if you've heard this one, 3/4 th of the globe is covered by water, the rest is covered by Jonty..

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
age_master said:

IIRC he has done that before, and taken some reasonable catches (Didn't he move in at backward short leg against Pakistan and take a catch first ball?)

And pray tell, what is it about McGrath, Gillespie and Bevan on the boundary that makes them superb fielders and better than Hussain? Their parentage perhaps?

Eclipse

International Debutant
I dont know about Hussain I cant remember him ever feilding very well in the Ashes or VB series but thats all I have really seen of him so I will take it on your good word that he is good.

I would say he is better than Gillespie and Beven & Lhemann deffinatly but not better than Huritz or M. Clark probaly about there equal.

He would be about as good as Damian Martyn who is one of our best run stopers and run out specilests but not that good at catching as Hussain is.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Top_Cat said:
Mike Clarke is a decent fielder (again quicker because of the age gap) but Hussain has performance over potential in this one and must be rated the better fielder (in terms of catching) than any of those guys.
I was meaning Stuart Clark, it wasn't a typo :)

I was just pointing out to age that the statement that "all the WC squad and all the A squad are better fielders than Hussain" held about as much water as you can get out of a tap in Basra.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
michael clarke is an awsome fielder, anyone who saw his outfield catch for Aust A this summer would know that, hes also a pretty good stot at the stumps

and yes jonty is the best, though ponting is not far behind at all

martyn is a slip - except when hes got a broken finger, than he cant catch at all

Status
Not open for further replies.