Thread: South African No to Sharjah

Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar

South African No to Sharjah

http://www.cricketweb.net/articles/E...DpxXGKAD.shtml

The future of the Sharjah Cup, scheduled to be held between April 1 and April 10 in the United Arab Emirates, has been thrown into doubt after South Africa withdrew today, citing safety fears due to the ongoing war in Iraq.

Gerald Majola, Chief Executive Officer of the United Cricket Board of South Africa, said, "We value our players and officials and we cannot continue with the tour when there is concern about their safety. We received an advisory from the Department of Foreign Affairs informing us not to travel to the Gulf region under the current circumstances prevailing there. We are however, engaged in discussions with the tournament organizers as to possible alternative venues and or dates for the tournament to be held."

This seems just a touch hypocritical based on the South African World Cup Authorities' refusal to take into account the safety fears of England and New Zealand over the controversially-forfeited Group Matches.

It is now unsure whether the Tournament will be rescheduled or continue with a replacement for South Africa joining Sri Lanka and Pakistan, who have both named experimental line-ups including many players with little or no ODI experience. Bangladesh and India are committed to a tri-series later in April (also with South Africa) so will be unlikely to play twice in a month so soon after the World Cup. New Zealand are enjoying an end-of-season break before a tour of Sri Lanka, Australia and the West Indies are shortly due to play Tests and ODIs in the Caribbean, and England are preparing for the English summer season after an exhausting winter.

That just leaves Zimbabwe - who are in no fit state to tour anywhere at the present moment - or Kenya...

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Neil Pickup; 24-03-2003 at 01:16 PM.
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

I guess India is a no-no to that tournament too. Would love to see India Pak and SL battle it out...:P

Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar
    It's not hard to empathize with the South Africans for pulling out. It's just not safe nowadays.
    Sreesanth said, "Next ball he was beaten and I said, 'is this the King Charles Lara? Who is this impostor, moving around nervously? I should have kept my mouth shut for the next ball - mind you, it was a length ball - Lara just pulled it over the church beyond the boundary! He is a true legend."

Pinball Champion!
    Sounds like too much cricket to me, I bet experimental lineups have been named because all the senior players are knackered. Right after the world cup, dont people think there is too much cricket going on?

I like to have fewer series and actually look foreward to watching some cricket rather than being fed a constant supply of it and not being able to take it all in. Dont know about you guys :rolleyes:
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

Rik
    As an England fan I find South Africa's boycott because of safety fears mildly amusing with a tint of irony...
    "Age is just a stupid number"

20...that's a rather big number :(:(:(

Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar
    The South African Board is just being childish. It's like

"I don't wanna play with you either :P ....
    Why?......ummmm...because.....because I just don't :P ."
    Last edited by Mr Mxyzptlk; 27-03-2003 at 05:42 PM.

Pinball Champion!
    Well Australia did refuse to tour Pakistan when a neighbouring country was at war. Kind of a similar situation?

Im not trying to stick up for the SA board, they never seem to know what they are doing... But why another Sharjah tournament so soon after the world cup..What are they trying to prove, except get a bit more cash..

Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar

Re: South African No to Sharjah

Originally posted by Neil Pickup
    It is now unsure whether the Tournament will be rescheduled or continue with a replacement for South Africa joining Sri Lanka and Pakistan, who have both named experimental line-ups including many players with little or no ODI experience. Bangladesh and India are committed to a tri-series later in April (also with South Africa) so will be unlikely to play twice in a month so soon after the World Cup. New Zealand are enjoying an end-of-season break before a tour of Sri Lanka, Australia and the West Indies are shortly due to play Tests and ODIs in the Caribbean, and England are preparing for the English summer season after an exhausting winter.

That just leaves Zimbabwe - who are in no fit state to tour anywhere at the present moment - or Kenya...
    And Zimbabwe and Kenya get invited

Cricket Web XI Moderator lord_of_darkness's Avatar
    i doubt if pulling out was necessary especially in sharjah know that place well enough last place to be bombed
    Don L-o-d , Legion Of Doom

Lords Lounge, Off Topic, The Happening Place in CW and OT.

Co Chairman CWBCC - Cricketweb XI - CW Green | Manager of Hampshire CC - Wccc | Chairman of the Muralitharan Supporters Club ~MSC~ |

Current Stats:
    2* - 17-4-35-3 - Season Ends..

Current Record
    Batting - RHB: M:48 Inns:43 Runs:457 H/S:33* Ave:15.5 N.O:10
    Bowling - Off Spin: O:280 M:40 Runs:975 Wickets:104 Ave:9.3 S.R:15.6

Well I live in Muscat in Oman 'bout 350 kilometres away and can pretty much say UAE will more likely than not be very safe, this is because even the very best of Iraqi weapons/missles are way way out of range.
    "And, when you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it" - Paulo Coelho, The Alchemist

well i think it's good for kenya. glad to see them invited to a tournament .
    CWXI Regular - Member of CW Black

Blacks ftw

Caistor Town Cricket Club Moderator
    But not out of reach of American bombs. Thats your worry.. 350 kilometres, thats nothing..

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Thread Information