• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Kenya for Test Status?

Andre

International Regular
Yes i agree, they would comfortably beat Bangladesh, have some world class players in Tikolo and Odombe, and would give the Zimbabweans and West Indians a run for their money. Im all for Kenya being given test status.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I agree, Kenya would certainly beat Bangladesh at the moment & would probably push Zimbabwe. I think Kenya recently played Zimbabwe 'A' and did very well against them. A team that included Campbell, Whitall etc.

G

They're ace. They beat India in a triangular tournament with South Africa, England struggled to beat India. They would settle in well as a Test team.

chris.hinton

International Captain
I think Kenya should be given test status and a combined xi from (scotland,Holland,Ireland and others as well)

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Definitely. They are a better side than Bangladesh so deserve Test Status, they'll get it soon.

Then it's Holland..? Or not, as they'll get spanked in the NUL in 2003.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Defintely. They should have been playing test cricket long before Bangledesh.
Yes and no. There are many factors to consider when granting a team Test status and one of them is infrastructure. Kenya have a very good team but little else behind them and they have less first-class teams, worse facilities and less evidence than Bangladesh that their board can support themselves as a cricketing power, as well as afford to host international teams.

Bangladesh on the other hand, has money on their side. They have a proven track record with hosting big cricket matches (Sharjah) have the local infrastructure and money to support their game so, whilst they may not as good a team as Kenya, they have the money to put into development of a good team, whereas Kenya (VERY unfortunately) simply doesn't have the money or sufficient popularity of cricket in that country to support that game.

Believe me, I was a proponent of Kenya becoming a Test nation before Bangladesh too but I can see why the ICC gave Bangladesh the nod.

On a more conspiratorial note, there are rumours going around that Bangladesh was secretly given money by the PCB and Indian cricket boards so as to facilitate their entry into Test cricket faster and also give the Asian Cricket Council a stronger presence in the ICC (i.e. power in numbers). Interesting, that.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
1) Sharjah is in the United Arab Emirates
2) The ICC Knock Out was hosted in Kenya without too many problems wasn't it?

Would have been a good argument if the points were valid. Sorry mate.. :)

Anon2

U19 Cricketer
Kenya would be alright as a Test team. Personally I think they're better than Bangladesh. Wasn't it them who beat India in a triangular series between India, South Africa and Kenya?

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Yes, they did beat India. Once.

Joseph Angara took 4-20 or something like that.

They also beat (well actually I think the word is hammered) the West Indies at World Cup 96.

Bangladesh's pedigree against Top nations is poor, just the one dubious win over Pakistan at WC 99.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
It still hasn't happened yet.
Do you all still think they should be given test status?
age_master said:
they wouldn't give WI a run for their money
They might now :p

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
steds said:
It still hasn't happened yet.
Do you all still think they should be given test status?

They might now :p
Depends how much money, bookmakers called 'John', pitch repor... (voice fades into distance)

biased indian

International Coach
Top_Cat said:
On a more conspiratorial note, there are rumours going around that Bangladesh was secretly given money by the PCB and Indian cricket boards so as to facilitate their entry into Test cricket faster and also give the Asian Cricket Council a stronger presence in the ICC (i.e. power in numbers). Interesting, that.
why would they give money to bangladesh.what could have bangladesh done to facilitate their entry to test

they might have given it to Zim to get the vote for bangladesh entry into test cricket

Langeveldt

Soutie
Well, Bangladesh are welcomed with open arms into the most exclusive cricket competition in the world, so why can't everyone join in the fun?

Rich2001

International Captain
Would mean more cricket due to more teams and we all know how much the current bunch of cricketers complain about too much cricket.