• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

womens Twenty20 before mens Twenty20

jemo27

Cricket Spectator
will beintresting if the proposal of Austrlai playing England before Aus V India on Feburary 1 goes and how the domestic matchs are recived.

espeically if this happens
Women's World Twenty20 to run alongside the men's

Exclusive by Jenny Thompson

December 19, 2007

Australia's captain Karen Rolton and team-mate Lisa Sthalekar could soon be competing alongside their men in the teams' bid to put the World Twenty20 cups in their cabinets © GNN Photo

Women's cricket is set for a massive boost as the ICC has provisionally approved a World Twenty20 to run alongside the men's. The move, which is subject to budget approval, would come into effect for the next tournament in England in 2009.

This is potentially huge news for the game as this could open the door to big sponsorship deals and increased exposure both on television and at the grounds themselves. Women's cricket has been fighting to improve its image and attract new fans to the game but with little exposure sponsors have largely stayed away, trapping it inside a vicious circle.

But the ICC could help them break out in a move which ticks the box of financial feasibility. With matches running at the same grounds, there would be no extra set-up costs for the TV companies, with the cameras and crew already in place for the men.

The ICC's finance and commercial affairs committee will meet early next year to make the crucial decision which could mean that the women, like the men, play two World Cups in a year, with the 50-over version in Australia earlier that year.

An ICC spokesperson confirmed to Cricinfo: "The ICC board, in its last meeting in Dubai in October, approved the women's ICC World Twenty20 which will be played simultaneously with the men's ICC World Twenty20 in England in 2009."

The news comes following several successful trials this year of scheduling women's domestic games as curtain raisers for the men's in Australia and England.

As the ICC have not officially announced the tournament, no captains, players or coaches were allowed to speak to Cricinfo for comment, however it is a fair bet that they will be privately delighted with the news as their sport is on the brink of getting some of the recognition it sorely needs.

Austalian women's cricket could benefit in particular from the exposure. While the game already features on TV in England at least twice a year, as Sky are obliged through their ECB deal to show at least two one-dayers, and regularly in New Zealand and India, the last time it was shown in Australia - the fourth major player in the women's game, and arguably the best - was as a one-off, the 2005 World Cup final in South Africa which Australia won.

There are already encouraging signs, however, as Cricket Australia could schedule Australia women's Twenty20 against England as the curtain-raiser for Australia men's match against India on February 1 which could be televised.

Since the World Cup final, against India, Australia have retained the Rose Bowl against New Zealand, beaten England in a one-day series and won the quadrangular tournament in India which features the world's top teams. But while netball and basketball are covered comprehensively alongside women's tennis, swimming and athletics, the country's No 1 sport of cricket - in which Australia women are the No 1 team in the world - remains elusive.

Nevertheless CA are making efforts to attract women to the game. Australia was the first country to schedule domestic Twenty20s as curtain raisers to the men's state game in January earlier this year. England following suit in June and in the same month the Afro-Asia women's XI played before the men's equivalent.

But TV is the next major step and Twenty20 yet again may be the answer early next year, and in the years to come.

Jenny Thompson is an assistant editor at Cricinfo

Last edited:

Matt79

Global Moderator
Are they going to have dancing men in swimsuits at the women's 20/20 matches, to provide equivalence to the cheerleaders at the men's games?

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Are they going to have dancing men in swimsuits at the women's 20/20 matches, to provide equivalence to the cheerleaders at the men's games?
At the mens 20/20 Championship in South Africa they had equal amount of female and male dancers.

Good on the women cricketers.

sideshowtim

Banned
I wouldn't mind watching women's cricket if it wasn't like watching a couple of Under-15 rep sides go head to head. I'm sorry, but that's the reality of it. Women's cricket is absolutely horrible to watch.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I wouldn't mind watching women's cricket if it wasn't like watching a couple of Under-15 rep sides go head to head. I'm sorry, but that's the reality of it. Women's cricket is absolutely horrible to watch.
When I watch women cricket I just think everyone is batting and bowling with there bad hand.. :ph34r:

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Would only watch women's cricket if there was some decent talent out there. In all sense of the word.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
At the mens 20/20 Championship in South Africa they had equal amount of female and male dancers.

Good on the women cricketers.
Not that I was paying a great deal of attention :ph34r: ,but there seemed to be 1 man and 2 women for every platform in the Twenty20 games I've seen from South Africa.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Not that I was paying a great deal of attention :ph34r: ,but there seemed to be 1 man and 2 women for every platform in the Twenty20 games I've seen from South Africa.
I thought i saw 2 and 2 and it was because Twenty20 is as much targeted to girls as guys.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Well, maybe they need to look at their selection criteria.

BTW, when does this thread begin to need to be moved to the 'cricket humour' section.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Feeling a bit bad now for this topic being so predictably sidetracked, so being serious, I guess its not a bad idea, it might let the women get some sponsorship so they can actually play semi-professionally and improve their skills at the same time. It's probably the only way they'll get a decent crowd along to some of their games, and would resolve the major problem with 20/20 - that's its not long enough.

jemo27

Cricket Spectator
Channel 9 has announced that a one hour highlights package will be shown on Channel nine of the Australia verses England Twenty20 before the men play India