• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Muralitharan - javelin thrower

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Monty Panesar recently said that he can't bowl the wrong'un with a legitimate action.

Was he being honest there or was he having a dig at the other spinners around in world cricket.
what exactly does he mean by legitimate? If he means that he needs more than 15 degrees flex to bowl the wrong un, then its just his problem because Murali and Bhajji have shown that they can bowl the doosra within the 15 degree limit.

If, on the other hand, he means that he needs to chuck to bowl the doosra but can bowl normal stuff without any flex, then he is just kidding himself.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I have seen the actual TV interview on which this article is based. Bedi even demonstrated how the bent wrist and elbow is used as compared to a legitimate delivery.

They even had Erapalli Prasanna a few months later for a master class, and although he did not mention Murali, he had the same things to say about the doosra's and the wrong ones by an off spinner.

I think Bedi is right on the button, but off lately has become a Michael Moore kind of character hence is not taken seriously even though the point is valid.
Both Bedi and Prasanna also had flex of varying degrees in their actions, I think. I believe their actions were studied during that study in 2004. So not sure what all this means. Plus, there is the peculiarity of Murali's wrists that need to be taken into account. Maybe he can bowl a doosra with lesser flex than someone with normal wrists. I have no idea exactly what it is but the point is that he has bowled them and they have been measured and he is within the new limits. End of story.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Sounds like a line from that Rogue Traders song "Falling in Love Again"....
Or that film "Groundhog Day"...

Which is what I and I'm sure 100% of the long-ish-term members here get whenever "Murali" and "chucker" or "Warne" are mentioned in the same sentence... or "Tendulkar", "Lara" or "Waugh"... etc.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Both Bedi and Prasanna also had flex of varying degrees in their actions, I think. I believe their actions were studied during that study in 2004. So not sure what all this means. Plus, there is the peculiarity of Murali's wrists that need to be taken into account. Maybe he can bowl a doosra with lesser flex than someone with normal wrists. I have no idea exactly what it is but the point is that he has bowled them and they have been measured and he is within the new limits. End of story.
Anyone who seriously attempts to compare Murali's case to any single other bowler in cricket history doesn't know what they're on about.

There has never, ever been a bowler like Murali before now. You cannot make comparisons to the past.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
what exactly does he mean by legitimate? If he means that he needs more than 15 degrees flex to bowl the wrong un, then its just his problem because Murali and Bhajji have shown that they can bowl the doosra within the 15 degree limit.
Saqqie did unless I'm much mistaken... and probably Prasanna too.