• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Hogg not coming to Warwickshire

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Rumours suggest Zaheer is being approached instead.

Hmm, Bond and Zaheer Khan - wouldn't fancy facing that county attack!

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Well they've got Betts, Richardson, Brown, Carter, Sheikh, Wagg and now Bond. I wouldn't want to go for 2 pacers especially when you realise that Giles will be on England duty most of the season and the only spin backup is Neil Smith who is more of a OD player and Spires who is still quite raw. It's not as if they need batting backup though as they have Troughton, Bell, Wagh in the middle order with Ostler and Penney as backup. Their strength in batting even allows them to play Piper down the order as a speciallist keeper. Although the lack of a wicket taking spinner may count against them when trying to challange Surrey, I think they are a good bet for 2nd place.

V Reddy

International Debutant
I heard that too that they are approaching Zaheer . But i heard that Bond was not going so they were after Zaheer.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
zaheer aint that great, i would try for Bracken or Vaas if i wanted a left arm quick, other players that i would try for:

(aust only)
M Clarke
S Clark
N Hauritz
J Davison - could be interesting
R Campbell
B Haddin
J Maher

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
age_master said:
zaheer aint that great, i would try for Bracken or Vaas if i wanted a left arm quick, other players that i would try for:

(aust only)
M Clarke
S Clark
N Hauritz
J Davison - could be interesting
R Campbell
B Haddin
J Maher
What a completely unbiased opinion:rolleyes: .

IMO, Zaheer is far and away a better bowler than Bracken and potentially Vaas.

krkode

State Captain
I agree, Mr Mxyzptlk. Vaas is a good bowler with many sensational hauls. But most of his "hauls" came against weak teams. I sincerely think that if you do a comparison of his performances against minnow teams and non-minnow teams, you'll see a large difference.

But he's still a great bowler, and unlike Zaheer, he's had to carry the whole Sri Lankan pace attack on his shoulders. Srinath and Nehra shared the load with Zaheer.

And Bracken...heh, I don't know him enough to compare him, but his stats look normal...not like most aussie bowlers of his era...

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
krkode said:
most of his "hauls" came against weak teams.
I have stated this exact same opinion before. I'm glad I have some support.

Before anyone jumps on my case, I have also stated that Vaas has the potential to be as good as, dare I say, Wasim in the next couple of years if he continues to improve as he has recently.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
If Bond bowls like he did in the latter half of the World Cup for Warwickshire, then he will take alot of wickets for them & possibly single handidly win a couple of games too because he's handy with the bat too.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Vaas may not have taken as many wickets or big hauls against teams like Australia but he almost always keeps the runs right down and he is a class bowler

Bracken, has not played much international cricket, class left arm bowler, good slower ball, accurate, reasonably quick - bowls well for NSW though does not take many big hauls as he bowls with some of the best bowlers in the world - Lee, McGrath and Macgill in piticular but also good bowlers like Stuark Clark (Mcgraths understudy)

ohh and hes the tallest cricketer in NSW - hes absolutley huge - dwarf's Lee easily

ohh and he often bowls in the later end of the innings for NSW

Rich2001

International Captain
krkode said:
I agree, Mr Mxyzptlk. Vaas is a good bowler with many sensational hauls. But most of his "hauls" came against weak teams. I sincerely think that if you do a comparison of his performances against minnow teams and non-minnow teams, you'll see a large difference.
Heres a break down of Vaas's avg's / strike rates vs each team in ODI

Scroll down the link to get the info

Vaas

Rich2001

International Captain
age_master said:
Vaas may not have taken as many wickets or big hauls against teams like Australia but he almost always keeps the runs right down and he is a class bowler

From the stats I just got for him he doesn't do either very well only about 1.2 Wickets per game and goes at over 4.2 runs a over.

krkode

State Captain
Thanks for that Rich.

It speaks good of him to see his "Top 5 Rabbits" are all respectably big names in cricket.

Not sure what exactly this says, but the only teams that are below his overall average of 27 (?) are IND, NZ, KEN, ZIM, WI, BAN, CAN.

The only "respectable" teams out of that list are probably India, NZ and WI...

His averages agains SA, PAK, ENG, and AUS are all in the 30s...

He's not bad, but there are better, that's all I'm saying :)

Considering, he's singlehandedly carried the Lankan pace attack over the years, adds to his merit.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
some stats on other bowlers

Brett Lee: hahaha, he has got out twice to jayasuria,
bowling though brilliant - SR of 27.6
Bunny's
1. Saeed Anwar (4)
2. AJ Stewart (3)
3. Azhar Mahmood (3)
4. G Kirsten (3)
5. JN Rhodes (3)

Glenn McGrath: - been around longer so stats a little more developed, has batted just 49 times out of 178 games and has got out just 23 times.

bowling SR 34
SR 6 against namibia, average of 2.14

bunny's
1. G Kirsten (7)
2. HH Gibbs (7)
3. ST Jayasuriya (7)
4. CL Cairns (5)
5. GW Flower (5)

that shows true class, those are some of the best ODI batsmen in the world

Nathan Bracken: has not played many ODI's at all but has played pretty solidly in those games - has not batted in ODI games at all (11 games total)

the ONLY batsman whom he has got out more than once is ... wait for it SR Tndulkar, yes thats right the "best" batsman in the world, he has also claimed A flower and Aravinda de silva

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Well that exposes the truth about how good McGrath is, apart from Grant Flower you'd have to say that to dismiss some of those players more than 5 times is exceptional.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
age_master said:
I personally would rate Zaheer as second best left arm quick in the World, after Vaas, who let it be remembered, has to bowl a lot of his overs on Muirali-prepared wickets.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Tim said:
Well that exposes the truth about how good McGrath is, apart from Grant Flower you'd have to say that to dismiss some of those players more than 5 times is exceptional.
Looking at Vaas' rabbits:

11 Saeed Anwar
8 SC Ganguly
8 Shahid Afridi
7 HH Gibbs
7 SR Tendulkar

Not too bad...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Further to my earlier post, it appears Zaheer is being approached as a short term replacement for Bond at the start of the season.