• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australia's tour of Pakistan

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
Could today's events result in the tour being canceled? If the Aussies had their worries - surely they would be increased tenfold now.

I am ignorant of Pakistan politics and I don't pretend to understand the ramifications of it, but in a cricketing sense does this make it all the more likely for the Aussies to pull out?

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Chances are that state of emergency will be in place, revenge attacks are a possibility etc

In other words, stay out of there

haroon510

International 12th Man
yep i just read the news in yahoo about what happend in pakistan.. i could care less about bhutto cuz she was a politician but i felt sorry for other 20 cilvilians who died..
while reading i was thinking about Aus tour of Pakistan.. it seems like it will be cancelled.. i don't think Aus will tour pakistan in this type of situation..

Craig

World Traveller
Go for the neutral venue again, but where? I have no idea what the weather would be like in somebody like Sharjah at that time of the year, but IWT it would be better then what it was last time around. That is not so hot.

sideshowtim

Banned
Go for the neutral venue again, but where? I have no idea what the weather would be like in somebody like Sharjah at that time of the year, but IWT it would be better then what it was last time around. That is not so hot.
PCB have expressed that the tour is played in Pakistan or it isn't played at all.

Personally, I think this is an absolute joke. I understand them wanting a home tour for revenue, a better chance of victory and such...But all of the players' lives are at risk there....Surely the players' safety is more important than revenue.

Craig

World Traveller
Well usually at the major venues the crowds are down anyway for Tests, I know people have to work and the like, but the crowds at places like Lahore are quite dire.

I agree with your post though, the PCB shouldn't be so stubborn.

TheLad

School Boy/Girl Captain
PCB have expressed that the tour is played in Pakistan or it isn't played at all.

Personally, I think this is an absolute joke. I understand them wanting a home tour for revenue, a better chance of victory and such...But all of the players' lives are at risk there....Surely the players' safety is more important than revenue.

This statement came before the events of last night. Give the PCB a few days to asses the situation. Given the chance of a prolonged crisis here and the potential lost TV revenue i think they will look at alternative venues.

Craig

World Traveller
Of course my post is that of an outsider looking in, I'm not Pakistani so I wouldn't know otherwise.

TheLad

School Boy/Girl Captain
Of course my post is that of an outsider looking in, I'm not Pakistani so I wouldn't know otherwise.
They would get some crowds if they could play it the UK and maybe Holland which I understand has a growing Pakistan population.

Craig

World Traveller
They would get some crowds if they could play it the UK and maybe Holland which I understand has a growing Pakistan population.
Plus with the amount of Australians there, you might get some numbers. The pitches would be ITSTL (interesting to say the least).

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
If this sort of thing happened in London or Birmingham any notion that the entire Country was unsafe for sporting teams to tour would be scoffed at, because it's in Pakistan people automatically assume that the whole Country should be avoided like the plague.

river end

School Boy/Girl Cricketer

Pakistan gave up home grounds in their last home series against Australia in 2002 and played at neutral venues so I doubt they would be willing to do it again, regardless of the surrounding circumstances.
If it happens, that will be 4 series in a row against Aust - none played in Pakistan.
Can't say I blame them - its hard enough to beat Australia as it is.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Isn't there some major centres of Pakistan that are very stable? Surely playing all the Tests in those regions could remain a possibility, and even if they have to double up on the same venue; better than playing neutral or not at all.

Craig

World Traveller
If this sort of thing happened in London or Birmingham any notion that the entire Country was unsafe for sporting teams to tour would be scoffed at, because it's in Pakistan people automatically assume that the whole Country should be avoided like the plague.
Well the UK doesn't have the same history as Pakistan. I hope they tour Pakistan and I was hoping somebody who is more informed to come in here, but then we have arrogant upshots like you here.

TheLad

School Boy/Girl Captain
Isn't there some major centres of Pakistan that are very stable? Surely playing all the Tests in those regions could remain a possibility, and even if they have to double up on the same venue; better than playing neutral or not at all.
In light of what happened last night any area of Pakistan would be highly unlikely to have an international rating that equates to stable.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Well its not like the Aussies are going tomorrow. There's a good chance most of the country will be quite stable by maybe even next month, except for maybe Karachi.