Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Could Graeme Smith break all captaincy records?

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar

Could Graeme Smith break all captaincy records?

Smith is currently captaining South Africa for the 50th time(inclusive of substandard sides). He has not yet reached his 27th birthday, and as such could easily play Tests for another 10 years - maybe even longer if things were to go well. By the end of this series against West Indies (provided he's fit for all games) he'll be 1 behind the SA record of Hansie Cronje. Before this season's out - again given full fitness - he'll be beyond the tallies of Cronje, Michael Atherton, Arjuna Ranatunga and Stephen Waugh. Clive Lloyd and Allan Border remain a fair way ahead yet on 74 and 93, and the man I had assumed would break all records long before Smith - Stephen Fleming - has now been stalled on 80 (inclusive of substandard sides).

So will Smith last to be the first to captain 100 Tests? Or will someone replace him? If so, having been appointed at 22, what would the feeling be then?
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar
    His age has very little to do with it unless South Africa keeps performing under him.
    Sreesanth said, "Next ball he was beaten and I said, 'is this the King Charles Lara? Who is this impostor, moving around nervously? I should have kept my mouth shut for the next ball - mind you, it was a length ball - Lara just pulled it over the church beyond the boundary! He is a true legend."

State Vice-Captain gettingbetter's Avatar
    I saw the pre-game chat about Smith captaining his 50th Test, it is quite amazing, I think he's only played 8 Tests as a non-captain. But with Smith, I'm not too sure, as you pointed out, time is definetely on his side, but his form over the last two years has been falling away - if it dips below 40, watch out, especially considering how high it once was.

Things in his favour though is that he is actually a good captain, his tactics are right and he does try to go for a result (as seen in the Sydney Test). But with the SA selectors and their treatment of Pollock, I think they could push Smith whenever they like, in saying that, SA really do lack batting depth especially at the top of the order.

International Debutant Dissector's Avatar
    All captaincy records? What about the records for test victories and series victories?

still scratching around in the same old hole
    hmm, actually quite interesting. If things continue the way they are then he looks dead set to break 100 Tests as captain. However, one thing we know is that things often do not stay the same.

A few bad series with SA losing and a further decline in his batting will see him ousted. However, if that doesnt happen he could continue for a long time.

Im a believer that he was originally brought in as a mere pup to captain as after Cronje and Pollock the powers that be wanted a politically weak and indebted captain. This allowed the more controversial aspects of SA selection to be implimented without having to clash with a powerful domestic figure as captain.

As he has got older, he has increasingly started to assert himself and is no longer able to be manipulated or ignored.

This change in his maturity and clout may mean people think its time for him to move aside. Also bearing in mind there is a large lobby wanting Prince as captain.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

State Vice-Captain gettingbetter's Avatar
    I've heard about the ones grooming Prince too, but it doesn't seem likely as long as Smith is in the team I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Dissector View Post
    All captaincy records? What about the records for test victories and series victories?
    If a captain is given enough chances with a decent team, he can break these. I certainly reckon Smith could. Who knows, indeed, how South Africa will be faring in 2013 (when Smith will still be just 31 years old)?

Regarding Prince's captaincy - he too is rarely more than 2 or 3 bad Tests away from having his place questioned. Neil McKenzie is another we hear about being highly regarded in captaincy stakes.

If neither of these are in the Test team in, say, 2 years time this wouldn't be a problem, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mxyzptlk View Post
    His age has very little to do with it unless South Africa keeps performing under him.
    Obviously, but both are clear prerequistites in order to keep on captaining.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar
    My point being that his age is not the major factor here. A big factor, yes, but not the major factor as you were suggesting.

Were he now aged 35 years old it'd not be possible.

That is all I suggest. Really.

he might have some trouble making it as captain for another year if they lose serieses against the west indies and then england which is what im banking on.
    ENGLAND CB SERIES CHAMPS FUTURE WORLD CUP CHAMPS(2011) AND IN 2009 THE ASHES HOLDERS

the official England 'patriotic cheerleader'

Proud supporter of the England national cricket, football and rugby teams and of TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR FOOTBALL CLUBS

Msn: jammay123@hotmail.co.uk

come on CW BLUE

Tough 2008 (India away, England away, Australia away) for Smith and if South Africa fail to win their current series with the West Indies the pressure will be on. His got friends in high places but he needs runs and at least some encouraging performances by his team in 08 for him to keep the captaincy.

Quote Originally Posted by Goughy View Post
    hmm, actually quite interesting. If things continue the way they are then he looks dead set to break 100 Tests as captain. However, one thing we know is that things often do not stay the same.

A few bad series with SA losing and a further decline in his batting will see him ousted. However, if that doesnt happen he could continue for a long time.

Im a believer that he was originally brought in as a mere pup to captain as after Cronje and Pollock the powers that be wanted a politically weak and indebted captain. This allowed the more controversial aspects of SA selection to be implimented without having to clash with a powerful domestic figure as captain.

As he has got older, he has increasingly started to assert himself and is no longer able to be manipulated or ignored.

This change in his maturity and clout may mean people think its time for him to move aside. Also bearing in mind there is a large lobby wanting Prince as captain.
    Prince has fallen out of favour with CSA after resigning as chairman of the players association and then discussing quotas, his not on anyone’s Christmas cards lists with the top brass and didn't help his cause by not wanting to play in Ntini's benefit.

International Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Goughy View Post

Agree!
    Proud member of Twenty20-Is-Boring Society.
    T2IBS Media relations officer
    T2IBS official face
    R.I..P ........ Fardin Qayuumi
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Good luck at the hospital.
    Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    Fraz is always the best option IMO
    frazbest@hotmail.com

Is Prince a good captain at all? Or is it just some politically motivated act?
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information