• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Shane Warne the role model

sideshowtim

Banned
Personally I'm just glad we've secured his services over another nation. I have no doubts that he will be a good mentor and should be invaluable to spinners coming through in this country. God knows we need a few decent ones....I also like how he will be teaching them a lot of tactics when it comes to spin bowling. If all our young spinners are coming through thinking like Warney...well, there'll be a few disgruntled wives but plenty of bamboozled batsmen.

Get to work on Cullen Bailey, Warney!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Hopefully he can find himself a place now instead of talking nonsense every other week.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I also like how he will be teaching them a lot of tactics when it comes to spin bowling. If all our young spinners are coming through thinking like Warney...well, there'll be a few disgruntled wives but plenty of bamboozled batsmen.
Nah, you can be as good tactically as you want and every young spinner can think like Warne, if you don't possess the skill to put the ball in the right place (not to mention the skill to bowl the deliveries) you still won't get very far.

I also know from experience that having a cheating dumbbell for a role-model won't make you into one if you have the blood of decency running through your veins.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Unlike other bowlers who appeared to prevail through natural ability, I think that a large portion of what got Warne where he was in international cricket was his know-how. He developed the slider and seems to work batsmen out well. He also has a good action and so may be able to help in that respect too.

gettingbetter

State Vice-Captain
Rarely. The combination of him not getting selected for SA and the lack of coverage I access are the main reasons, but when I have seen him bowl, haven't been all that impressed.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Nah, you can be as good tactically as you want and every young spinner can think like Warne, if you don't possess the skill to put the ball in the right place (not to mention the skill to bowl the deliveries) you still won't get very far.

I also know from experience that having a cheating dumbbell for a role-model won't make you into one if you have the blood of decency running through your veins.
You need both. Bryce McGain credits his recent improvement to a sit-down he had with Warne where they talked leg-spin tactics.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
You need both. Bryce McGain credits his recent improvement to a sit-down he had with Warne where they talked leg-spin tactics.
tbh, he is one man who I think can make the transition from great player to great coach very well, at least at the grass roots level as a spin bowling coach...

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Lets be honest, Warne from about 2001 onwards basically had only two different balls - the slider and the leggie. But through smarts, nous and subtleties he kept on getting wickets.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Unlike other bowlers who appeared to prevail through natural ability, I think that a large portion of what got Warne where he was in international cricket was his know-how. He developed the slider and seems to work batsmen out well. He also has a good action and so may be able to help in that respect too.
I agree with you, but disagree on the part of natural ability. Warne bowls the hardest discipline in the most majestic of ways and has ingrained his name in cricketing history because of his unparalleled talent. If anything, it was more when Warne lost the ability to bowl some of his different deliveries - because of injuries - that we got more of an appreciation as to the genius of Warne. His control of drift, spin and placement is breathtaking.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Lets be honest, Warne from about 2001 onwards basically had only two different balls - the slider and the leggie. But through smarts, nous and subtleties he kept on getting wickets.
Rubbish - there was that bumper he bowled a few times. :D

And pre-2001 he only had one more - flipper. His consistency has always been his big thing. He never had a decent wrong 'un (let alone the three different ones guys like Mushie and Qadir claimed to have) and never really went away from just trying to bowl his stock leggies as accurately as he could. The in-drift he got in the 90's was just something else, though - classic leg-break bowling.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Lets be honest, Warne from about 2001 onwards basically had only two different balls - the slider and the leggie.
And the skill with which he disguised the latter meant he didn't really need anything else. If you can bowl those 2 balls, and pitch them, you can probably Conquer The World.
Oh, beyond doubt - but the right mindset without the skill will get you nowhere. If you can't pitch the ball, it's no good thinking the right thoughts.

BTW, you can remove that line from your sig now methinks. :) And put the damn T2IBS line back in. :@