Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shane Warne the role model

International Captain

Shane Warne the role model

Last edited by Lillian Thomson; 26-12-2007 at 06:53 AM. Reason: Edited to make the link more obvious as it appeared to be just a smiley

Chris Martin the batsman.
    ~ Cribbage ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

Personally I'm just glad we've secured his services over another nation. I have no doubts that he will be a good mentor and should be invaluable to spinners coming through in this country. God knows we need a few decent ones....I also like how he will be teaching them a lot of tactics when it comes to spin bowling. If all our young spinners are coming through thinking like Warney...well, there'll be a few disgruntled wives but plenty of bamboozled batsmen.

Get to work on Cullen Bailey, Warney!

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Hopefully he can find himself a place now instead of talking nonsense every other week.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sideshowtim View Post
    I also like how he will be teaching them a lot of tactics when it comes to spin bowling. If all our young spinners are coming through thinking like Warney...well, there'll be a few disgruntled wives but plenty of bamboozled batsmen.
    Nah, you can be as good tactically as you want and every young spinner can think like Warne, if you don't possess the skill to put the ball in the right place (not to mention the skill to bowl the deliveries) you still won't get very far.

I also know from experience that having a cheating dumbbell for a role-model won't make you into one if you have the blood of decency running through your veins.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Ajit Agarkar the bowler.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

International Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    Ajit Agarkar the bowler.
    This is actually a genuine cricket story so I've changed the link which was just a smiley as some people seem to think it wasn't a serious thread.

State Vice-Captain gettingbetter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sideshowtim View Post
    Get to work on Cullen Bailey, Warney!
    i was disappointed when I missed out on my CA contract after I heard he got one. I don't think the trio of Warne, Murali and Kumble could help him.

Unlike other bowlers who appeared to prevail through natural ability, I think that a large portion of what got Warne where he was in international cricket was his know-how. He developed the slider and seems to work batsmen out well. He also has a good action and so may be able to help in that respect too.
    The speed at which a fielding team gets through the innings is overrated.

Quote Originally Posted by gettingbetter View Post
    i was disappointed when I missed out on my CA contract after I heard he got one. I don't think the trio of Warne, Murali and Kumble could help him.
    Have you seen him bowl?

State Vice-Captain gettingbetter's Avatar
    Rarely. The combination of him not getting selected for SA and the lack of coverage I access are the main reasons, but when I have seen him bowl, haven't been all that impressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Nah, you can be as good tactically as you want and every young spinner can think like Warne, if you don't possess the skill to put the ball in the right place (not to mention the skill to bowl the deliveries) you still won't get very far.

I also know from experience that having a cheating dumbbell for a role-model won't make you into one if you have the blood of decency running through your veins.
    You need both. Bryce McGain credits his recent improvement to a sit-down he had with Warne where they talked leg-spin tactics.
    Quote Originally Posted by Irfan
    We may not like you, your filthy rich coffers or your ratbag scum of supporters but by god do we respect you as a football team
    GOOD OLD COLLINGWOOD - PREMIERS IN 2010

Is Cam White, Is Good.

Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt79 View Post
    You need both. Bryce McGain credits his recent improvement to a sit-down he had with Warne where they talked leg-spin tactics.
    tbh, he is one man who I think can make the transition from great player to great coach very well, at least at the grass roots level as a spin bowling coach...
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

Lets be honest, Warne from about 2001 onwards basically had only two different balls - the slider and the leggie. But through smarts, nous and subtleties he kept on getting wickets.

Cricket Champion! Jackpot Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Manee View Post
    Unlike other bowlers who appeared to prevail through natural ability, I think that a large portion of what got Warne where he was in international cricket was his know-how. He developed the slider and seems to work batsmen out well. He also has a good action and so may be able to help in that respect too.
    I agree with you, but disagree on the part of natural ability. Warne bowls the hardest discipline in the most majestic of ways and has ingrained his name in cricketing history because of his unparalleled talent. If anything, it was more when Warne lost the ability to bowl some of his different deliveries - because of injuries - that we got more of an appreciation as to the genius of Warne. His control of drift, spin and placement is breathtaking.
    ★★★★★

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information