Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Inside-edges on to the pads

School Boy/Girl Cricketer

Inside-edges on to the pads

I've just been thinking. Shouldn't they be given out as well? I mean the batsman has been beaten and if the pads weren't in the way he'd be bowled.

International Debutant
    but then would inside edges onto pads be given out if it pops up to a fielder? coz ur imagining if the pads werent in the way

Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar
    How can the umpire be certain that the inside edge would have gone on to hit the stumps. Not merely because it hits the pad does it mean it will hit the stumps.
    Sreesanth said, "Next ball he was beaten and I said, 'is this the King Charles Lara? Who is this impostor, moving around nervously? I should have kept my mouth shut for the next ball - mind you, it was a length ball - Lara just pulled it over the church beyond the boundary! He is a true legend."

I assume you mean for LBW, as they are given out as catches (if the umpire detects the edge).

Logically I can see you're point in one sense, but it adds another extra element into what is already the hardest part of an umpires job, and if making contact with your bat doesn't stop you being given out 'before wicket', where do you draw the line?
    Quote Originally Posted by Irfan
    We may not like you, your filthy rich coffers or your ratbag scum of supporters but by god do we respect you as a football team
    GOOD OLD COLLINGWOOD - PREMIERS IN 2010

Is Cam White, Is Good.

International Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Glacier View Post
    I've just been thinking. Shouldn't they be given out as well? I mean the batsman has been beaten and if the pads weren't in the way he'd be bowled.

It's not an entirely original thought. The first person I heard suggest it was Peter Roebuck many years ago during an interval discussion on TMS. He got no agreement from anyone else in the discussion and I don't think the idea has any merit whatsoever. A batsman could edge a ball toward the stumps that wasn't originally going to hit, it's just a further unneccessary complication.

Cricketer Of The Year SirBloody Idiot's Avatar
    The one thing I don't understand about the LBW law is why someone can't be given outwhen being hit outside the line of off-stump playing a shot. Surely if the umpire isn't convinced it is hitting the stumps, he just gives it not out.

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    I think I'm right in saying the law was changed to exactly that for one pre-war county championship season, but that it gave the advantage so much to the bowlers the experiment didn't last.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"as much a news event as an actual footballer, a worthy stop-start centre forward, but an all-time hyper-galactico when it comes to doing funny things with cars and hats, a player whose signing proves once again that the Premier League is still undoubtedly the best in the world when it comes to doing things with cars and hats."
    - Barney Ronay on Mario Balotelli

Banned
    no

The LBW is there to deter pad play and encourage the use of the bat. Giving an inside edge on to the pads out is not only impossible to judge but defeats the reasoning behind the LBW law in the first place. ie they hit the ball and played it with the bat.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

Quote Originally Posted by Goughy View Post
    The LBW is there to deter pad play and encourage the use of the bat. Giving an inside edge on to the pads out is not only impossible to judge but defeats the reasoning behind the LBW law in the first place. ie they hit the ball and played it with the bat.
    Yes, but obviously they had no intention of playing it there. And a lot of the time it is going on to hit the stumps. Besides a fair few inside edged LBWs are given out in just about every match. Just make it a law so theres some consistency at least.

Yes, but obviously they had no intention of playing it there. And a lot of the time it is going on to hit the stumps. Besides a fair few inside edged LBWs are given out in just about every match. Just make it a law so theres some consistency at least.
    A fair few in every match? A slight exaggeration there surely...

And are you then saying that a batsman should be punished for a miscue? Because in many many innings there are many many miscued shots. Goughy makes a good point.

International Captain
    They don't need to change the law for that, they just need to enforce the current law correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Lillian Thomson View Post
    They don't need to change the law for that, they just need to enforce the current law correctly.
    How will they do that? Unless you bring in video technology theres no way any umpire won't miss a few.

How will they do that? Unless you bring in video technology theres no way any umpire won't miss a few.
    So why make things even harder for umpires by them having to judge whether the ball would hit the stumps off an inside edge?

What about if they hit outside the line of off but the edge makes them hit into the pads in line with the stumps. In your theroy is that out or not out.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information