• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Inside-edges on to the pads

Glacier

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I've just been thinking. Shouldn't they be given out as well? I mean the batsman has been beaten and if the pads weren't in the way he'd be bowled.

Laurrz

International Debutant
but then would inside edges onto pads be given out if it pops up to a fielder? coz ur imagining if the pads werent in the way

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
How can the umpire be certain that the inside edge would have gone on to hit the stumps. Not merely because it hits the pad does it mean it will hit the stumps.

Matt79

Global Moderator
I assume you mean for LBW, as they are given out as catches (if the umpire detects the edge).

Logically I can see you're point in one sense, but it adds another extra element into what is already the hardest part of an umpires job, and if making contact with your bat doesn't stop you being given out 'before wicket', where do you draw the line?

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I've just been thinking. Shouldn't they be given out as well? I mean the batsman has been beaten and if the pads weren't in the way he'd be bowled.

It's not an entirely original thought. The first person I heard suggest it was Peter Roebuck many years ago during an interval discussion on TMS. He got no agreement from anyone else in the discussion and I don't think the idea has any merit whatsoever. A batsman could edge a ball toward the stumps that wasn't originally going to hit, it's just a further unneccessary complication.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
The one thing I don't understand about the LBW law is why someone can't be given outwhen being hit outside the line of off-stump playing a shot. Surely if the umpire isn't convinced it is hitting the stumps, he just gives it not out.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I think I'm right in saying the law was changed to exactly that for one pre-war county championship season, but that it gave the advantage so much to the bowlers the experiment didn't last.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
The LBW is there to deter pad play and encourage the use of the bat. Giving an inside edge on to the pads out is not only impossible to judge but defeats the reasoning behind the LBW law in the first place. ie they hit the ball and played it with the bat.

Glacier

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
The LBW is there to deter pad play and encourage the use of the bat. Giving an inside edge on to the pads out is not only impossible to judge but defeats the reasoning behind the LBW law in the first place. ie they hit the ball and played it with the bat.
Yes, but obviously they had no intention of playing it there. And a lot of the time it is going on to hit the stumps. Besides a fair few inside edged LBWs are given out in just about every match. Just make it a law so theres some consistency at least.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Yes, but obviously they had no intention of playing it there. And a lot of the time it is going on to hit the stumps. Besides a fair few inside edged LBWs are given out in just about every match. Just make it a law so theres some consistency at least.
A fair few in every match? A slight exaggeration there surely...

And are you then saying that a batsman should be punished for a miscue? Because in many many innings there are many many miscued shots. Goughy makes a good point.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
They don't need to change the law for that, they just need to enforce the current law correctly.

Mr Mxyzptlk

How will they do that? Unless you bring in video technology theres no way any umpire won't miss a few.
So why make things even harder for umpires by them having to judge whether the ball would hit the stumps off an inside edge?

TheLad

School Boy/Girl Captain
What about if they hit outside the line of off but the edge makes them hit into the pads in line with the stumps. In your theroy is that out or not out.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I do think the rule regarding the ball pitching outside leg is stupid, but I wouldn't start giving inside edges out.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
It can be negative if the spinners are just bowling very wide into the foot marks outside leg stump, so the rule prevents batsman from having to play at those deliveries.
But that's not illegal now. If they are pitching outside leg, and the deliveries are turning enough to come back onto hitting the stumps, it is legitimate as far as I am concerned.