• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Waqar sacked

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Waqar Younis has been replaced as Pakistan Captain by Rashid Latif, who retired from International Cricket last month...

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm thinking maybe his form has something to do with it, he didn't really have a stunner did he?

7 wickets at 25.28 from 7 games isn't bad but compared to Wasim Akram (12 at 16.75) and Shoaib Akhtar (11 at 22.90) it looks pretty ordinary.

I think the fact that rarely picked Saqlain comes into it, every time he didn't play Pakistan lost. You just can't leave your best spinner with nearly 300 ODI wickets if you want to win!

Last edited:

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Well this comes as no surprise to me, but I heard they were considering Wasim Akram also for the captaincy..what the hell I thought Wasim was going to finally call it quits after continuously coming & going over the past year?

Latif will be a short-term solution because I thought there was talk that he was considering retirement also. I see Anwar is also staying, why? Pakistan needs to move on.

They should be planning immediately for the next World Cup & unless Wasim gets permission from the retirement home to play in the World Cup 2007 then whats the point of letting him hang around for any longer?

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
It's a real clearout - the entire selection committee and the coach too - come back Javed, all is forgiven.

Inzy fell on his sword last week, so I reckon that Rashid Latif is just a stop-gap for 12 months at the most, probably for the next tour only.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Rik said:
7 wickets at 25.28 from 7 games isn't bad but compared to Wasim Akram (12 at 16.75) and Shoaib Akhtar (11 at 22.90) it looks pretty ordinary.
Those stats only look ordinary next to Wasim's. You're being too harsh on him.

Langeveldt

Soutie
I can really sympathize with the pakistanis, some random captaincy there, just like what is happening with SA....Two boards who need to sort their lives out I think...

krkode

State Captain
Well, I think it's more the lack of team performance than individual performance that has caused Waqar's sacking.

They probably think he's not leading well enough, and I sort of agree. The only men I think who are fit to lead a team like Pakistan are Wasim Akram and Anwar, owing to their experience, ability to lead by example, and sheer commanding stance when out there...
The rest don't have that, I feel...and definitely not Latif, clearly seen by his sledging and recent "accusations".

warrioryohannan

U19 Cricketer
krkode said:
Well, I think it's more the lack of team performance than individual performance that has caused Waqar's sacking.

They probably think he's not leading well enough, and I sort of agree. The only men I think who are fit to lead a team like Pakistan are Wasim Akram and Anwar, owing to their experience, ability to lead by example, and sheer commanding stance when out there...
The rest don't have that, I feel...and definitely not Latif, clearly seen by his sledging and recent "accusations".
Sledging and accusations?? the one that wasn't proven? If we go by that then Ponting should never be given captaincy as he has been accused of sledging by Ejaz Ahmed (though nothing was proved). A case can even been made against Ganguly for showing his finger to the crowd!

I think Rashid is the best choice, he was among the three players who did well for PK in WC( Akram and Anwar being the others). Akram is not suitable for captaincy as the court has clearly instructed PCB not to give captaincy to Akram, moreso Akram cannot work with Miandad who would be the coach.
Anwar may have done well in WC but he's a pale shadow of what he once was, and i think he should definately retire right now.

Yousuf Youhanna is named the vice captain, i guess he will take over the captaincy from Rashid in about 6 months to a year!

krkode

State Captain
I wasn't talking about somebody accusing Latif of saying something, I was talking about Latif's accusation of Gilchrist. I always thought that a leader must be a non-complaining person...

I heard that the court only adviced the PCB not to give the captaincy to Akram, but seeing that Miandad is coach, I guess he won't get it either way...

But oh well...:P

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
BBC Ceefax says that the PCB spokesman said that Latif was probably a stop gap before they appointed:

Younis Khan

warrioryohannan

U19 Cricketer
krkode said:
I wasn't talking about somebody accusing Latif of saying something, I was talking about Latif's accusation of Gilchrist. I always thought that a leader must be a non-complaining person...

I heard that the court only adviced the PCB not to give the captaincy to Akram, but seeing that Miandad is coach, I guess he won't get it either way...

But oh well...:P
Non complaining? All Rashid did was to complain that he has been accused of something he didn't do it. I guess in order to be a captain Rashid should have just kept his mouth shut and accepted that he was indeed involve in racial slur!

Talking about complains, Akram has been complaining for a decade that he started suffering from "diabetes" coz of stress associated with Matdh fixing accusations. Then the new SA skipper has his share of complains in the past!

warrioryohannan

U19 Cricketer
Neil Pickup said:
BBC Ceefax says that the PCB spokesman said that Latif was probably a stop gap before they appointed:

Younis Khan

BUt PCB has apointed Yousuf Youhanna as the vice captain and not Younis Khan. Though former Coach Pybuss wants Younis Khan to be the Pakistan captain rather than Rashid or Youhanna

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Neil Pickup said:

Younis Khan
When I researched the story this morning for CricketWeb, I noticed that 2 or 3 sites covered the story from exactly the same slant, and most of them suggested the same thing - Younis Khan (in other words, they all used the same source - or one person did then the others cribbed the same story).

I'm not so sure - does he actually warrant a place in the side?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
warrioryohannan said:
Non complaining? All Rashid did was to complain that he has been accused of something he didn't do it. I guess in order to be a captain Rashid should have just kept his mouth shut and accepted that he was indeed involve in racial slur!
Seeing as there were no charges brought or anything, maybe he should've done?

krkode

State Captain
warrioryohannan said:
Like Mark said, maybe he should have. Instead of making it a big deal by talking about suing and stuff like that... :rolleyes:

But then again, That's MY view of how a captain should be. YOUR view of an ideal captain may be different, and I'm sorry it has to be so, but I can't help it.:saint:

warrioryohannan

U19 Cricketer
krkode said:
Like Mark said, maybe he should have. Instead of making it a big deal by talking about suing and stuff like that... :rolleyes:

But then again, That's MY view of how a captain should be. YOUR view of an ideal captain may be different, and I'm sorry it has to be so, but I can't help it.:saint:

No dear, initially it was Pakistan manager & other senior players who threatened to sue Aussies over the video tape controversy, i guess going by that none of them should be considered for captaincy:P

As for ideal captain, when did i ever mentioned anything about that? Its you who have been comming up with theories as to what an ideal captain should be like, and i'm sorry to say but your kind of Ideal captains in today's world will be a rare breed!

krkode

State Captain
and i'm sorry to say but your kind of Ideal captains in today's world will be a rare breed!
That complies with my other theory that Real captains are a rare breed, and not every man can be a captain. Of course, they technically can be a captain if they are appointed by their respective boards, but I won't look on them as the best choice...:saint:

Last edited: