• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Glenn Turner v Martin Crowe

Who was better?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

archie mac

International Coach
Just in case people don't realise, Crowe's average in 1st-class cricket was an outstanding 56.02 with very close to 20,000 runs. That's by far the best of any kiwi and just below Wally Hammond at 29th on the all-time list of players who have played in more than 50 innings and better than players like Hutton, Weekes, Sobers, Kallis, Richards, Pollock, Worrell, Hayden, Miandad, Hick, Chappell, both Waughs, H.Sutcliffe, Compton, Lara, Zaheer Abbas, Border, Harvey, Hobbs and Inzamam to name a few too many :p
What do you call that an OM? or a double negative? Or what?

river end

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Definitely the one that got away. Our best tournament ever and the best chance we have had of winning it. I was at the semi that was stolen by Inzi and was pretty devastated.
Actually, I thought it was just - considering NZ threw their last qualifying match against Pakistan to make sure Australia didn't make the semis. Anyway, that's old ground.........

slugger

State Vice-Captain
nz won 6 in a row and lost its 7th to pakistan.. but because the systems of winning games back then had not be worked out.. the eng vs pak match was given a point each even through pakistan had completed their inn.
Pakistan 74 (Derek Pringle 3-8) (40.2 ov); England 24-1 (8 ov). No result.
this would have resulted in australia making the top 4

but hey thats cricket..

i pick crowe...

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
nz won 6 in a row and lost its 7th to pakistan.. but because the systems of winning games back then had not be worked out.. the eng vs pak match was given a point each even through pakistan had completed their inn.
Pakistan 74 (Derek Pringle 3-8) (40.2 ov); England 24-1 (8 ov). No result.
this would have resulted in australia making the top 4

but hey thats cricket..

i pick crowe...
What's the England game got to do with anything? No one can control the weather. The inference was that New Zealand deliberately lost to Pakistan to ensure that Pakistan qualified and not Australia. Utter nonsense of course, Australia didn't qualify because they lost half of their group matches.

Fiery

Banned
What's the England game got to do with anything? No one can control the weather. The inference was that New Zealand deliberately lost to Pakistan to ensure that Pakistan qualified and not Australia. Utter nonsense of course, Australia didn't qualify because they lost half of their group matches.
Exactly.

slugger

State Vice-Captain
id like to think nz was a great team then.. but only a true great team would throw any match (lose a battle to win the war) NZ then or even now can not dictate the out come of an overall compitetion .. let alone the wc.. ... my augement was that the system was flawed... believe me the evidence had already revealed its self in the pak vs eng game.. and truely became appreant when rsa required 22 off the last ball in the semi..

Last edited:

river end

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Well, before that game against Pakistan, NZ had already finished on top of the table. If they had beaten Pakistan, Pakistan would have been out, allowing Australia into the qualifying 4.

The semis were 1 vs 4, 2 vs 3. But because Australia were the then defending champions the game against would have been played in Australia.

So if you are NZ would you rather play Pakistan at home in the semis or Australia in Australia?

Ok they were already assured of finishing top, but there was NO WAY NZ were going to try to win that game.

Fiery

Banned
Well, before that game against Pakistan, NZ had already finished on top of the table. If they had beaten Pakistan, Pakistan would have been out, allowing Australia into the qualifying 4.

The semis were 1 vs 4, 2 vs 3. But because Australia were the then defending champions the game against would have been played in Australia.

So if you are NZ would you rather play Pakistan at home in the semis or Australia in Australia?

Ok they were already assured of finishing top, but there was NO WAY NZ were going to try to win that game.
You're so full of **** it's beyond belief. There was never any hint or even the slightest inclination from NZ to ever lose that game deliberately. **** off and die

Flem274*

123/5
You're so full of **** it's beyond belief. There was never any hint or even the slightest inclination from NZ to ever lose that game deliberately. **** off and die
Agreeing with lovely little colourful comments like this is frowned upon, but **** the snobs. AWTA.

cbuts

International Debutant
Id love to say we threw the game to get rid of the aussie's but, i can barely remember us ever beating Pakistan in the 90's. Imran, Wasim, Waqar, used to make us look like school girls.

Plus the fact the beat us twice and a row and then went to win the whole tournament.

Fiery

Banned
river end's allegation's are nothing short of slander tbh...I would sue the **** if it was still 1992.

As it stands, I'm going to eat him alive on this forum :p

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
I certainly don't recall the rule regarding Australia being the defending champion and hence, getting the game at home...

Status
Not open for further replies.