Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ponting is better than Lara

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    He might think you're lying though. Then he could disagree.
    Then he doesn't know Richard.

Now Prince since you've admitted in the past that your ancestors are Alec & Charles Bannerman, that wouldn't affect your line of thinking, especially to one of the greatest stonewallers ever, Alec Bannerman?
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    No2 clearly means something different in the Dickinson household to the rest of Britain...
    Nah, shaking one's head with a smile on the face quite clearly means "uh-uh!"; "nope"; "noooooo", etc. Can't believe anyone would interpret it differently.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    Then he doesn't know Richard.

Now Prince since you've admitted in the past that your ancestors are Alec & Charles Bannerman, that wouldn't affect your line of thinking, especially to one of the greatest stonewallers ever, Alec Bannerman?
    My opinion on such matters isn't based on Alec, but I guess it could be genetic.
    ~ Cribbage

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    My opinion on such matters isn't based on Alec, but I guess it could be genetic.
    Yeah sure

Banned
    Tell us what this one means Richard?

The meaning of the Rolleyes is well-documented: it says "what a stupid comment" and hence should be used with great caution.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    The meaning of the Rolleyes is well-documented: it says "what a stupid comment" and hence should be used with great caution.
    I see

Ponting probaly did not get the best of Donald, Ambrose and Walsh, Wasim and Waqar, all at their ridiculous best around 1992-1995.

But I would not complain watching either.

Locked inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Nah, shaking one's head with a smile on the face quite clearly means "uh-uh!"; "nope"; "noooooo", etc. Can't believe anyone would interpret it differently.
    WTF are you on about? No2 means poo.
    - As featured in The Independent.

"Predictably, the ending of his international career did not end the argument about Pietersen's merits, as an army of informed commentators and Piers Morgan weighed in to defend or attack him."
    - The Guardian's Andrew Anthony

Anywaaaaaaay, back on topic. Must say that I agree with SST here (yeah, obvsiouly some bias, but he does make a very good point). If Ponting isn't better than BCL now, he is at least his equal, and will imo end up being his superior.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Mitch Johnson is ****ing awesome for cricket.
    Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    Ponting's ability to ton up in the first innings of a series should not be understated. So much pressure, so important. What a great!

The trouble with Lara, something that makes him so difficult to rate, as I mentioned above, is that he had such large ups and downs. At the start of his career he was sensational. However, he then had a lengthy spell where, had what came before not come before, he'd not have been considered anything other than a decent Test batsman.

Then, like any batsman you'd hope for worth his salt, he cashed-in big-time on the flat pitches and generally weak attacks. Interesting to compare his average for this time (61.53) to Ponting's (71.20). Beyond doubt, Ponting has bashed the weak attacks better.

However, the simple truth of the matter is that Ponting's overall average for his pre-Headingley-2001 career (and fortunately enough it coincides almost exactly with the start of Lara's more average period) is near enough the same as Lara's when he was very much below the level he had started-off at. Now you can say that Ponting's record down the order was better, and that his average is dragged down by batting at three earlier than he should have - that's true enough, but even excluding the innings at three he still averages just 45.29 before the flattening&weakening.

What's perhaps most interesting is what would have happened had the weakening&flattening not happened. I'm in little doubt as to what'd have happened with Ponting - he'd have averaged, I reckon, about 50-55 for the period, as he obviously got better as a batsman. But not better enough to average 70. What would have happened with Lara? That's simply impossible to know. He could easily have gone on performing middlingly, or he could have regained his former glories, well some of them perhaps.

As I've said - Lara is one who, unlike Tendulkar, is so difficult to rate. A bit like Botham in that way.

Why yes I agree, Ponting is a better ODI batsman than Lara.

"I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Cricket Web Content Updater roseboy64's Avatar
    Nah, not a chance. Give me Dravid to watch over Gilchrist 100 times out of 100.
    You're strange.
    Sir Alexander Chapman Ferguson = Greatest Ever Manager
    "One from ten leaves zero." - Eric Williams, former T&T PM
    Member of Cricket Web Green
    Member of Northside Power

R.I.P Fardin Qayyumi

Cricket Champion! Jackpot Champion!
    At the moment I'd rate Ponting, overall, a hair's width under Lara and Tendulkar but I expect him to take over the mantle by the end of his career. He looks too good.
    I think there'll sooner be another Bradman than another Warne. - Gidgeon Haigh

[Warne is] the greatest bowler ever produced in this entire world - Muttiah Muralidaran

[Warne is] the greatest bowler of all time - Glenn McGrath

In my opinion Shane Warne is the greatest cricketer who's ever lived - Ian Botham

Warne is the greatest cricketer to pick up a ball ever.
    And is the greatest bowler I have ever laid eyes on. - Brian Lara

Lot's of evidence to suggest that Ponting is the second best batsman in history

BIG WEAKNESS - record in India however the series in Oz in '03 was played on India-like wickets and he slaughtered them

Otherwise, hammers everyone, virtually every time, virtually everywhere with an unorthodox technique

Indisputably a great player but rank him where you will

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information