• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ponting is better than Lara

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yes. Just disagreeing
You can't disagree that I'd prefer to watch someone, that's my choice! You can have a different choice, but you can't say it's an incorrect statement to state what my preference is!

sideshowtim

Banned
Nouwt to do with being a "defenseaphiliac". :p I'm not really one anyway. It's just I enjoy style in batting, as I presume to so many others. I can't believe anyone would think Gilchrist a more stylish batsman than Dravid. :huh:
More "stylish"? Not necessarily. Just better to watch.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
You can't disagree that I'd prefer to watch someone, that's my choice! You can have a different choice, but you can't say it's an incorrect statement to state what my preference is!
He might think you're lying though. Then he could disagree.

Fiery

Banned
Don't put words into my mouth....(and what's with the "!"'s)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
More "stylish"? Not necessarily. Just better to watch.
And style is everything when it comes to which batsmen I prefer to watch. Everything. Some people, of course, put pace of scoring above style. But I don't think they're quite as common as some might think.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Don't put words into my mouth....!-guy
I didn't. You posted the No2, which says "uh-uh!"; "nope"; "noooo", etc. The No2 isn't a "I have a different take on the matter" smiley, it's a "that's wrong" smiley.

Evermind

International Debutant
Nouwt to do with being a "defenseaphiliac". :p I'm not really one anyway. It's just I enjoy style in batting, as I presume to so many others. I can't believe anyone would think Gilchrist a more stylish batsman than Dravid. :huh:
I'd rather watch Gilchrist than Dravid, but I'd also rather watch Gilchrist than Hayden or even Ponting. He's just really fun and unpredictable. What's wrong with that? I always root for Gilchrist every time he's on. :cool:

There're some batsmen who are just totally fun to watch, and on their day can totally wreck the opposition bowling. Gayle is another one - sure he's ridiculously inconsistent, but when he's on, I'd rather watch him than pretty much anyone else in the world.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'd rather watch Gilchrist than Dravid, but I'd also rather watch Gilchrist than Hayden or even Ponting. He's just really fun and unpredictable. What's wrong with that? I always root for Gilchrist every time he's on. :cool:

There're some batsmen who are just totally fun to watch, and on their day can totally wreck the opposition bowling. Gayle is another one - sure he's ridiculously inconsistent, but when he's on, I'd rather watch him than pretty much anyone else in the world.
The ability to wreck the opposition bowling isn't what I enjoy. The ability to look good is.

Ergo, I'd have a relatively slow "stylist" like Mark Waugh or David Gower over a "destructive" Vivian Richards or Adam Gilchrist. Easily.

Craig

World Traveller
He might think you're lying though. Then he could disagree.
Then he doesn't know Richard.

Now Prince since you've admitted in the past that your ancestors are Alec & Charles Bannerman, that wouldn't affect your line of thinking, especially to one of the greatest stonewallers ever, Alec Bannerman?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
No2 clearly means something different in the Dickinson household to the rest of Britain... :huh:
Nah, shaking one's head with a smile on the face quite clearly means "uh-uh!"; "nope"; "noooooo", etc. Can't believe anyone would interpret it differently. :huh:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Then he doesn't know Richard.

Now Prince since you've admitted in the past that your ancestors are Alec & Charles Bannerman, that wouldn't affect your line of thinking, especially to one of the greatest stonewallers ever, Alec Bannerman?
My opinion on such matters isn't based on Alec, but I guess it could be genetic. :p

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The meaning of the Rolleyes is well-documented: it says "what a stupid comment" and hence should be used with great caution.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Ponting probaly did not get the best of Donald, Ambrose and Walsh, Wasim and Waqar, all at their ridiculous best around 1992-1995.

But I would not complain watching either.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Anywaaaaaaay, back on topic. Must say that I agree with SST here (yeah, obvsiouly some bias, but he does make a very good point). If Ponting isn't better than BCL now, he is at least his equal, and will imo end up being his superior.