• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Stephen Fleming?

James

Cricket Web Owner
Do you think Stephen Fleming did the right thing by gifting South Africa the bonus point?

I would say yes! It is inside inside the bounds of the law anyway!

Andre

International Regular
WEll he has done the right thing for New Zealand yes, but it is debatalbe if he has done the right thing for cricket

Dingo

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Whether Fleming did the right thing or not is completely irrelevant. The option was given to Fleming to maximise his team's chances to make the VB Series final, and that's what he did. Remember the 1999 World Cup when Waugh and Bevan held a "go-slow" to try and benefit their chances in the Super Six stage? So kudos to Fleming for having the guts to exploit the rule to his advantage.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Its about time Fleming put his team first before another team, Im pleased that he decided to play hardball.

Im pretty sure most ppl have forgotten that World Cup episode, so its pretty even now.

Geoff

Cricket Spectator
No I don't think he did the right thing. The black caps had a better chance of beating Australia in the finals. Everyone knows that South Africa crumble under pressure when playing Australia in big games. If the black caps didn't concede the bonus point, there was still a chance South Africa could have missed out after playing the Aussies in the final game (that was the most likely outcome). I think Fleming's negative thinking probably cost them the series, because they outplayed the Aussie in every game (including the game Australia won).

Reminds me of the 1992 World Cup. A suspiciously poor performance against Pakistan in the final game so as to avoid playing the Aussies in a semi-final in Sydney, only to have it backfire when the Pakis (who would have missed the semis otherwise) easily chased 260 in the semi to knock New Zealand out.

Everything has worked out brilliantly for the South Africans. Fleming has easily been the best captain all series, yet one piece of negative thinking could cost them the trophy.

Eclipse

International Debutant
I am not so sure about that because australia would have shown there class in the finals and i really could not see nz beating them.