• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Question for all Pakistanis and Indians

Would you rather see your national cricket team play or your national hockey team ?

• Total voters

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Given a choice, woould you rather see your national cricket team play or your national field hockey team ?

Last edited:

skipper

School Boy/Girl Captain
Hockey was popular till 1980s after which both countries won one world cup each. If India and Pakistan play to glory again in Hockey, who knows, hockey's popularity will overtake cricket!

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Cricket obviously. Hockey is not even remotely close in terms of popularity, in India at least.

Yes I'm aware of the fact that cricket is all too poular on the subcontinent. It is a tragedy that a lot of youngsters are not aware of the rich tradition of subcontinental hockey - the accomplishemnts of Pakistan and India in hockey on the world stage far outweigh anything the two countries have ever achieved in cricket.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Yes I'm aware of the fact that cricket is all too poular on the subcontinent. It is a tragedy that a lot of youngsters are not aware of the rich tradition of subcontinental hockey - the accomplishemnts of Pakistan and India in hockey on the world stage far outweigh anything the two countries have ever achieved in cricket.
I completely agree with the sentiment. Both our countries have produced players who by themselves would fill the World's Hall of Fame for Hockey and do it proud. But the sad fact is that our youngsters (and here I speak of India) do not play hockey any more, relatively speaking.

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
Wasn't it cuz' we were champs on grass, but when flat turf was introduced we started losing to the other non-subcontinental team?

EDIT: :laugh: Oh the irony...

FRAZ

International Captain
Wasn't it cuz' we were champs on grass, but when flat turf was introduced we started losing to the other non-subcontinental team?

EDIT: :laugh: Oh the irony...
Nope ! the reason was that the grass which was removed was being smoken by our players !

Beleg

International Regular
I'd rather see my national cricket team play but I'd also rather watch a hockey game. In my opinion, that's just an indictment of the the state of Pakistan Hockey at the moment.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
I'd prefer hockey. Our hockey players alwys have it rough- sidelined by cricketers, training in primitive, unplayable conditions, struggling to maintain a good job and education, and stereotyped by our own media as a bunch of losers. Cricketers have it going so well, yet they never get the kind of results expected.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Given a choice, woould you rather see your national cricket team play or your national field hockey team ?
A curse on you, Salam - you know by now that not only do we like our irrelevant-thirds but we non-addressees in polls like this like an irrelevant option so as we can vote anyway !!!!

Beleg

International Regular
SBI,

I love watching hockey games. Netherlands vs. Germany/Australia usually has me licking my lips in anticipation.

However, I can no longer force myself through the debacle of Pakistan losing to Great *bloody* Britain, of all teams.

CrazY GirL

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
well I usually support PAKISTANI TEAMS IN EVERY SPORT...im normally aware of results of Aisam Ul Haq in Tennis n Boxing, Squash, F1 and Hockey,too
but what I truely love is Cricket...I dont think ive missed any match of Pakistan since i started watching cricket...even I love play it...itz like something big..when I play cricket...
So CRICKET ANYDAY

Salamuddin

International Debutant
I'd prefer hockey. Our hockey players alwys have it rough- sidelined by cricketers, training in primitive, unplayable conditions, struggling to maintain a good job and education, and stereotyped by our own media as a bunch of losers. Cricketers have it going so well, yet they never get the kind of results expected.

My Vote for Post of the Year. Bravo !!!!