Cricket Player Manager
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S.Warne Could Make A Quick Return To Cricket

Cricket Web Vice Administrator

S.Warne Could Make A Quick Return To Cricket

S.Warne could be back in cricket sooner than expected.

The English club side Lashings have made enquires with Warne for him to turn out for their outfit this season, if he agrees he will join fellow Aussie Mark Waugh and New Zealander Craig Macmillan who will also make their debuts this season.

Warne would join up with a host of past and present cricketers such as....

Richie Richardson - WI
    Brian Lara - WI
    Wasim Akram - Pak
    Shoaib Aktar - Pak
    Jimmy Adams - WI
    Stuart Williams - WI
    Junior Murray - WI
    Waqar Younis - Pak
    Shahid Afridi - Pak
    Stuart Carlisle - Zim
    Grant Flower - Zim
    Chris Harris - NZ
    Franklyn Rose - WI
    Allan Donald - SA
    Herschelle Gibbs - SA
    Inzamam-ul-Haq - Pak
    Courtney Walsh - WI
    Curtley Ambrose - WI
    "Sir Viv" Richards - WI

Warne is able to play throughout his ban due to the fact that Lashings games aren't classed as First Class.

Warne would also be facing the high standard of players required, if he wishes to make a return to the highest level when Lashings take on some of the English Counties inculding Kent ( Titans of Kent Cup), Sussex and Somerset.... He would also get regular games in all of Lashings other games against the likes of the Counties Board X1, uni's and other cricket clubs around the country.
    Last edited by Rich2001; 18-03-2003 at 02:03 PM.

State Vice-Captain
    I am discusted. He is banned from cricket so he should not be able to play at any level until the time is up.

Pinball Champion!
    I am off to the Lashings game against Somerset, should be awesome..better not rain

Personally I dont mind if Warne is in the side, but werent Ajay Jadeja and Hansie Cronje banned from cricket? They couldnt play for anyone, not even club sides
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Jadeja and Cronje were knowingly bad.

Warne was stupid.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Cricket Web Vice Administrator
    I think it's just different rules by different countries as well.

State Vice-Captain The Argonaut's Avatar
    He shouldn't be able to play. I don't care if it's fun. A ban is a ban. If he wants to play make him retire.

Can't a guy play backyard cricket? Isn't this a sort of equivalent to backyard cricket in that it's not official? Only difference is there are big names there. Just a bunch of big names gathering together to play some unofficial cricket?

The ban applies to all cricket recognized by the ICC, like FC, ODI and tests - not roadside or backyard cricket.

State Vice-Captain
    Is he allowed to play club cricket?

Originally posted by Langeveldt
    I am off to the Lashings game against Somerset, should be awesome..better not rain

Personally I dont mind if Warne is in the side, but werent Ajay Jadeja and Hansie Cronje banned from cricket? They couldnt play for anyone, not even club sides
    Azhar was banned. Jadeja was banned for 5 yrs but a Court set him free to play as there was no evidence against him. But the BCCI is not allowing him to play and they set some time limit and after that they will decide to allow him or not.

All Time Legend Paid The Umpire's Avatar
    go warnie

Tim
    I thought he was banned from all cricket including club, so surely lashings comes under that tag too.

I think he can only play cricket which is non-organised.

State Vice-Captain
    A ban in a ban and that should mean all cricket. I think Shane is a great player but he did wrong and so should be punished.
    If he gets away with playing some cricket then it isn't really a punishment. I will be very disapointed if he is aloud to play.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    hat's a bit of a unilateral attitude, isn't it? I mean, the aim for taking what is a relatively minor drug is to punish him, not to destroy his career. If he wasn't allowed to even play for anyone, well he'd be out of shape and seriously short of match practice by the time the ban had finished.

Warnie isn't going to be able to play international and FC cricket for at least a year, costing him many thousands in match-fees and missed sponsorships as well as the opportunity to play for his country. Just how much do you want to punish him for taking a mere diuretic? To me, it seems rediculous to punish him in the same way as you'd punish a someone who'd taken a HGH. Not all drugs are equal and in the same way, not all drug offenses are equal. What he did is was against the rules but in the overall scheme of things, pretty minor.

So I guess the question is, how much do you want to punish him and would you feel the very same way if it had been a player like Sachin?
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

Originally posted by Tamara
    A ban in a ban and that should mean all cricket. I think Shane is a great player but he did wrong and so should be punished.
    If he gets away with playing some cricket then it isn't really a punishment. I will be very disapointed if he is aloud to play.
    So are you saying, Warnie here can't go into his backyard and play cricket? :O

How exactly are they going to enforce that?

A ban is a ban. Correct. But it's only a ban from international, and FC cricket. Maybe club, but I'm not sure if the ICC's jurisdiction goes that far. And definitely not a ban on backyard cricket. The only person who can ban him from that might be his mom:duh:

State Vice-Captain
    I am not saying that he can't go into his backyard and play cricket. He can practise all he likes but You can't tell me that this game is a bit of Backyard cricket with those players involved.

The point is he took a drug. It doesn't matter what sort. Even I know to check things out before I have them. I am part of the NZ drug testing group and I am only 16.

With my my ski racing I know someone who got done for taking a Vicks throat tablet. That is all it was but still they got punished. Not to his extreme odviously but then they are only one of the top in their country for a small sport, not in the WORLD for one of the worlds most popular sports.

That is my opinion anyway.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information