• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Finally the Javed-Lillee Video

Evermind

International Debutant
Haha I love how Lillee kicks him so gently and gingerly. It's really rather cartoonish.

But of course, Miandad was always an asshole. Look at the whole incident: it was Miandad who pushing Lillee in the middle of his run! That clearly seems to have been the inciting incident. Lillee responded, and of course backed down when threatened with a big block of wood. We all know that Maindad wouldn't last any longer against Lillee than Sreesanth would against Symonds mano-a-mano. I love the armchair streetfighters here who claim Lillee was a "coward" for trying to avert serious head injury. The Internet world inspires tremendous courage!

Yet another instance of disgraceful conduct from the Pak cricket team. Not much has changed over the decades. 8-)

Monkey boy's at it again

FRAZ

International Captain
Haha I love how Lillee kicks him so gently and gingerly.
haha you love it haha but decent and self-respect conscious people don't haha . And let me tell you one thing that it's not that sort of a forum e.g ICF , where ridiculous language against other countries is used like that monkey thing that you wrote while trying to be funny .

haha

Evermind

International Debutant
haha you love it haha but decent and self-respect conscious people don't haha . And let me tell you one thing that it's not that sort of a forum e.g ICF , where ridiculous language against other countries is used like that monkey thing that you wrote while trying to be funny .

haha
haha indeed !!!

I wasn't trying to denigrate the people of Pakistan - only Miandad. Whose little leaps are more monkey-like than anything I've seen on a cricket field. Wouldn't you agree ?

subshakerz

International Coach
Haha I love how Lillee kicks him so gently and gingerly. It's really rather cartoonish.
Right, let's just chalk it up to Lillee's competitive spirit, huh? Kicking, or even nudging, a player from behind like that is as indiginant and insulting an act as it gets. I think the criticism would be a whole lot harsher if it were a player from the sub-continent who did the kicking.

But of course, Miandad was always an asshole.
I'm sure there are plenty of Aussie cricketers who fit that term as well as Miandad but are instead referred to as 'characters' or 'larakins'.

Look at the whole incident: it was Miandad who pushing Lillee in the middle of his run! That clearly seems to have been the inciting incident.
Nonsense. Check the article on the incident, it's Lillee who instigated the whole affair.

http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/columns/content/story/141796.html
"Miandad turned Lillee behind square for a single, and in completing an easy run, he collided with the bowler. Eyewitnesses agreed that Lillee was to blame and most observed that he had deliberately moved into the batsman's path. The two players' versions of events differ - both their autobiographies feature a lot of self-justification. Miandad claimed that Lillee blocked him and 'pushed him out of the way'; Lillee's version of events has Miandad subjecting him to abuse as he approached and Lillee replying in kind - no mention of any contact."

Lillee responded, and of course backed down when threatened with a big block of wood. We all know that Maindad wouldn't last any longer against Lillee than Sreesanth would against Symonds mano-a-mano. I love the armchair streetfighters here who claim Lillee was a "coward" for trying to avert serious head injury. The Internet world inspires tremendous courage!
Miandad had as much if not more a reputation as a scrapper/streetfighter than Lillee, unlike Sreesanth who's pretty much a poser. And at least Miandad never resorted to kicking someone from behind, and then jumping away.

Yet another instance of disgraceful conduct from the Pak cricket team. Not much has changed over the decades. 8-)
Whatever. What is disgraceful is putting the blame on Miandad, who had a pretty natural response to such a petulant act, and acting as if Lillee did nothing much. If it were any other cricketer, they would have been banned for an entire tour, not two minor matches. Yet another case of an Aussie cricketer getting off easy.

Last edited:

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I love the armchair streetfighters here who claim Lillee was a "coward" for trying to avert serious head injury.
Serious head injury? Miandad never raised the bat above his own head FFS. I don't mind if people don't think Lillee's actions were cowardly, but to claim he was in any sort of danger is really just plan false.

Evermind

International Debutant
Right, let's just chalk it up to Lillee's competitive spirit, huh? Kicking, or even nudging, a player from behind like that is as indiginant and insulting an act as it gets. I think the criticism would be a whole lot harsher if it were a player from the sub-continent who did the kicking.

I'm sure there are plenty of Aussie cricketers who fit that term as well as Miandad but are instead referred to as 'characters' or 'larakins'.
Let's not make this into a subcontinent vs others affair: Lillee himself isn't the nicest guy on the field either.

However, it is really clear as day that Miandad is a crook - on the field he acted like one, and behind the scenes he most certainly was in league with the worst. I may be wrong, but the Australian hooliganism is limited to a few choice words on the field, not being bedfellows with the worst terrorist on the subcontinent.

I have no respect for the terrorist bastard.

Nonsense. Check the article on the incident, it's Lillee who instigated the whole affair.

http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/columns/content/story/141796.html
"Miandad turned Lillee behind square for a single, and in completing an easy run, he collided with the bowler. Eyewitnesses agreed that Lillee was to blame and most observed that he had deliberately moved into the batsman's path. The two players' versions of events differ - both their autobiographies feature a lot of self-justification. Miandad claimed that Lillee blocked him and 'pushed him out of the way'; Lillee's version of events has Miandad subjecting him to abuse as he approached and Lillee replying in kind - no mention of any contact."
On the contrary, that article now convinced me that only the two of them actually know what happened - not us, not the media and not even the other players seem to know exactly what went on. However, knowing Miandad's propensity for being a liar, an instigator and a crook, I'd much sooner believe Lillee than him.

"As Lillee turned to go back to his mark he maintained that Miandad struck him from behind with his bat; Miandad countered with the claim that Lillee had kicked him as he passed. " Who knows?

Miandad had as much if not more a reputation as a scrapper/streetfighter than Lillee, unlike Sreesanth who's pretty much a poser. And at least Miandad never resorted to kicking someone from behind, and then jumping away.

Whatever. What is disgraceful is putting the blame on Miandad, who had a pretty natural response to such a petulant act, and acting as if Lillee did nothing much. If it were any other cricketer, they would have been banned for an entire tour, not two minor matches. Yet another case of an Aussie cricketer getting off easy.
Right, except it's clear that Miandad wasn't fined/reprimanded AT ALL. It looks like it was he who got away easy.

Oh yeah, and Sreesanth is a poser - you're right. Perhaps he should get in league with some popular terrorist now so he can be considered a badass, huh?

Evermind

International Debutant
Regardless of what you think, and how you feel about it, don't start resorting to comments like this please.
Apologies. Just that we're talking about someone who has well-known involvements - personal and financial - with terrorists; IMO he has absolutely ZERO credibility.

Swervy

International Captain
I remember watching this live when I was a kid. My version of events is:

Needle between Miandad and Lillee and possibly Marsh
Miandad turns one off his legs for a gentle single.
About three quarters of the way down the pitch, Lillee and Javed kind of tangle up.I got the impression that it was neither players fault, but then Lillee then held on to Miandad as if to stop him completing his run. At this point I seem to remember this being quite light hearted, I am sure DKL even shouted over to Marsh whilst still hold of Miandad, to try and run him out, which I think was obviously kidding about.

Miandad then got the arse and said something, obviously not overly friendly. Lillee then went up to him and did that 'kick' (if that is what you can call it, it hardly touched him, but still it was a foolish thing to do). Then Miandad over reacted and did what he did.

I have always felt it was a bit of high jinx gone wrong. Lillee shouldnt have done what he did, but Miandad was by far the more aggressive of the two during this incident, and was just as much out of order as Fot was.

Maybe the passage of time has distorted my memory on this

subshakerz

International Coach
I remember watching this live when I was a kid. My version of events is:

Needle between Miandad and Lillee and possibly Marsh
Miandad turns one off his legs for a gentle single.
About three quarters of the way down the pitch, Lillee and Javed kind of tangle up.I got the impression that it was neither players fault, but then Lillee then held on to Miandad as if to stop him completing his run. At this point I seem to remember this being quite light hearted, I am sure DKL even shouted over to Marsh whilst still hold of Miandad, to try and run him out, which I think was obviously kidding about.

Miandad then got the arse and said something, obviously not overly friendly
. Lillee then went up to him and did that 'kick' (if that is what you can call it, it hardly touched him, but still it was a foolish thing to do). Then Miandad over reacted and did what he did.

I have always felt it was a bit of high jinx gone wrong. Lillee shouldnt have done what he did, but Miandad was by far the more aggressive of the two during this incident, and was just as much out of order as Fot was.

Maybe the passage of time has distorted my memory on this
So Lillee holding onto to Miandad and preventing him from completing his run was 'light-hearted', but Miandad making a comment was him being an arse?

subshakerz

International Coach
However, it is really clear as day that Miandad is a crook - on the field he acted like one, and behind the scenes he most certainly was in league with the worst. I may be wrong, but the Australian hooliganism is limited to a few choice words on the field, not being bedfellows with the worst terrorist on the subcontinent.
.[/URL]
Look, I don't particularly like Miandad off the field, but how was he a crook or cheat on the field? You can't use events that occured after he retired to discredit his entire career. It's like using Warne's off the field controversies to prove he's a cricket cheat. Not a good argument.

On the contrary, that article now convinced me that only the two of them actually know what happened - not us, not the media and not even the other players seem to know exactly what went on. However, knowing Miandad's propensity for being a liar, an instigator and a crook, I'd much sooner believe Lillee than him.
Except the media and spectators all witnessed the incident and put the blame almost solely on Lillee. There wasnt much divided opinion. You want to slander Miandad's for his off the field actions to somehow exonerate Lillee of any blame.

"As Lillee turned to go back to his mark he maintained that Miandad struck him from behind with his bat; Miandad countered with the claim that Lillee had kicked him as he passed. " Who knows?
We do, because the video does show Lillee kicking Miandad. Nowhere have we seen or heard from the media that Miandad hit Lillee as he claims. And it's not like Lillee is a paragon of virtue himself to be trusted so unconditionally.

Right, except it's clear that Miandad wasn't fined/reprimanded AT ALL. It looks like it was he who got away easy.
Miandad didnt start the affair, Lillee did. Nor is there any evidence anywhere aside from what Lillee said of Miandad hitting him. What should he be fined for, raising the bat after being kicked from behind?

Oh yeah, and Sreesanth is a poser - you're right. Perhaps he should get in league with some popular terrorist now so he can be considered a badass, huh?
I was refering to Miandad's reputation on the field, something Sreesanth doesnt have.