• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

NZ Domestic Pitches-Do they need improving?

Flem274*

123/5
Now some will call this a knee jerk reaction but this summer has thrown up some big flaws in our side.

First up, today I was amazed at how many of our batsman don't move their feet, especially Sinclair, its no wonder he struggles against spin when his feet either stay still or get into awful positions like his dismmisal today. Now technique isn't everything but feet movement is a great asset to any batsman and is only to the benefit to their game. Secondly a hell of alot of our batsman seem to go front foot first, especially the openers. Didn't see much of Papps or Cumming because they didn't last very long but How's first movement is always forward and he's going to get trapped on the front foot alot.

In domestic cricket when you see 120-130kmh seamers like Mason and Adams wreak havoc there is an issue IMO. Obviously there are too many green pitches in domestic cricket because there is no way these guys should take so many wickets. I'd like to see more fast hard wickets so to get wickets you have to be good and we can seperate the guys that are likely to get caned in internationals from the guys that have potential. Also those batsmen that go forward firt will have to learn not to and all batsmen will have to use their backfoot more against pacier bowlers on the faster pitches.

I realize I'm not as expert as many on this site and if I have a few technical things wrong here then please correct me but what is everyones thoughts on our domestic pitches?

slugger

State Vice-Captain
I agree when nz was batting all they tlaked about ..was the scenery.. and then they say nice shot from Sinclair and go back to talking about the scenery...hahah

slugger

State Vice-Captain
but if you wanna get serious about the pitch.. get the pitches from the country a season before you tour there.. so for example the domestic 06-07 season you would have pitch from WA, NSW and hobart dropped in at canterbury, wellington, auckland...

Craig

World Traveller
Funny, New Zealand beat a lot of teams in rugby before the WC, got an easy draw and lost and then Graham Henry nearly lost his job, NZ cricket has been in the mire for a while and nobody does a bloody thing.

Matt52

U19 Vice-Captain
Funny, New Zealand beat a lot of teams in rugby before the WC, got an easy draw and lost and then Graham Henry nearly lost his job, NZ cricket has been in the mire for a while and nobody does a bloody thing.
We did do something, we complained, called someone a chucker, insulted then apologized to another guy, and resigned our coach.

Flem274*

123/5
We did do something, we complained, called someone a chucker, insulted then apologized to another guy, and resigned our coach.
WHAT?!?! Is Bracewell gone?

Oh and I agree Craig, geez its great to have a "I hate NZ and how they treat cricket compared to rugby" ranting partner.:)

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Now some will call this a knee jerk reaction but this summer has thrown up some big flaws in our side.

First up, today I was amazed at how many of our batsman don't move their feet, especially Sinclair, its no wonder he struggles against spin when his feet either stay still or get into awful positions like his dismmisal today. Now technique isn't everything but feet movement is a great asset to any batsman and is only to the benefit to their game. Secondly a hell of alot of our batsman seem to go front foot first, especially the openers. Didn't see much of Papps or Cumming because they didn't last very long but How's first movement is always forward and he's going to get trapped on the front foot alot.

In domestic cricket when you see 120-130kmh seamers like Mason and Adams wreak havoc there is an issue IMO. Obviously there are too many green pitches in domestic cricket because there is no way these guys should take so many wickets. I'd like to see more fast hard wickets so to get wickets you have to be good and we can seperate the guys that are likely to get caned in internationals from the guys that have potential. Also those batsmen that go forward firt will have to learn not to and all batsmen will have to use their backfoot more against pacier bowlers on the faster pitches.

I realize I'm not as expert as many on this site and if I have a few technical things wrong here then please correct me but what is everyones thoughts on our domestic pitches?
Harsh on Sinclair. Aside from the ball that got him out, I thought he moved his feet really well. It was a typical example of Sinclair really, and why he shouldn't play ODIs. That sort of shot will make people question his technique and cast doubts over whether he should be picked in the test squad. Well, newsflash: he wouldn't have done that in a test match. He was premeditating the cover drive and then Hopes bowled him a full inswinger starting on off stump. No such premeditation would have occurred if he wasn't trying to score at 5rpo.

Re: the pitches, I'd have thought the pitches in NZ domestic cricket would produce batsmen with a good defensive technique and good footwork albeit slightly limited in their strokeplay. For whatever reason, this hasn't happened at all; in fact the opposite seems prominent. I really don't know the story there, but obviously producing pitches similar to those found in test cricket will benefit the players as well as the selectors.