Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mahela Jayawardene very underrated.

Banned

Mahela Jayawardene very underrated.

There are some players you dont notice that much, yet they are so good. Mahela Jayawardene is one of them. I knew he was good player but for the first time when i looked at his stats today i was really surprised on how good he was. He now has 21 test centuries and averages almost 52. Why is he so underrated? people never discuss about him.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Every time someone scores a century, there is a thread about them being underrated. Everyone, by definition, can't be underrated. Jayawardene has been rated just where he should be - a very fine Test batsman.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Problem is he averages around 36 out side sub continent and around 60 in the sub continent. Unless he get's his away average above 45 he would not be a legend.

Mahela infact was one of the brightest prospects in a group of special young people. His collegues then were Pollock, Klusener, Kallis etc. I can still remeber the under 24 series of SAF vs SL when all these players locked horns against each other, a thriller.

His shot selection was deserting him, still he tries that one too many stroke and gets out. But he's matuaring and his performance are improving. At last we are getting our replacements for Aravinda and Arjuna (better with batting, but not the same class when coming to handling pressure).

Any way congrads for him being SL's leading century hitter.

what impress me about Mahela is his sense of sportmanship, his charactor and his in field personality. he is one of those charactors who seems to have a good personality. that is what makes me not miss him when he is playing.. as far as his bating goes.. it always surprise me that guys like kallis, dravid gets to much attention while players like mahela isn't rated even close to them.. i rate mahela higher over both dravid and kallis.. simply because he is entertaining...

Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar
    Too streaky still, if less so than before. Getting better fast and still young (just into his prime age-wise). Not under-rated IMO. Very good Test batsman. Not a great Test batsman. Unless the consideration is merely batting on the subcontinent.
    Sreesanth said, "Next ball he was beaten and I said, 'is this the King Charles Lara? Who is this impostor, moving around nervously? I should have kept my mouth shut for the next ball - mind you, it was a length ball - Lara just pulled it over the church beyond the boundary! He is a true legend."

I'm not really sure if you can call him underrated because many people believe that he is a very good test batsman. One look at the stats will always tell you that, but his record all over the world doesn't match up at all to his home average. That is the sole reason why many don't rate him with the likes of Ponting, Kallis, Sangakkara, Tendulkar, Dravid and Lara.

Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    Every time someone scores a century, there is a thread about them being underrated. Everyone, by definition, can't be underrated. Jayawardene has been rated just where he should be - a very fine Test batsman.
    yes concurred, very nicely summed up.

International Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    Become a girl plzzzzzzzzz cuz I am falling in love after watching this post !!!
    Proud member of Twenty20-Is-Boring Society.
    T2IBS Media relations officer
    T2IBS official face
    R.I..P ........ Fardin Qayuumi
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Good luck at the hospital.
    Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    Fraz is always the best option IMO
    frazbest@hotmail.com

State Vice-Captain ohtani's jacket's Avatar
    de Silva's away record didn't match up to his home record either. Both fine batsmen. There's too much emphasis placed on away records and the like, as though any blemish on a batsman's record discludes him from being great. Not every batsman can be expected to have a great record away from home, it's just unrealistic. A batsman's only responsibility is to do the best he can in each innings, and as best I can tell, Jayawardene's been doing a fine job of that recently.

Anyway, Jayawardene belongs to a new generation of batsmen. It's hard to tell right now which of them will be greats once their careers are finished.

Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    A little underrated but I think most CWers do think he is a very talented batsman. Perhaps doesn't get enough of the limelight due to Sanga's being so much gunner. .
    Direbirds FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Wellington will win the whole thing next year. Mark my words.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    I'll offer up my avatar to Athlai forever if Wellington wins the Champions League.
    President of T.I.T.S
    Tamim Is Talented Society

Quote Originally Posted by FRAZ View Post
    Become a girl plzzzzzzzzz cuz I am falling in love after watching this post !!!

Oh Fraz
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

There is plenty of respect for him but there is also a little criticism. There are times when he gets in control of his innings he just does not push up his scoring rate enough. The last test of this series is a great example.

He is good but I wish he would do a little more of when in total control of his innings he would punish the bowlers more and go for the jugular.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ohtani's jacket View Post
    Not every batsman can be expected to have a great record away from home, it's just unrealistic.
    Yet the great batsmen do.

State Vice-Captain ohtani's jacket's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mxyzptlk View Post
    Yet the great batsmen do.
    That's no reason to use it as a standard for greatness.

Maybe it's because I come from a country that doesn't have a great history of Test cricket, but relative to Sri Lankan cricket and what they've achieved since they were given Test status, I think Jayawardene is a great Sri Lanka batsman. Whether he goes on to be considered a great Test batsman, time will tell. I don't think his away record should have anything to do with that, but cricket is taken altogether too seriously by the majority of cricket fans, so I won't be surprised if it plays a part.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ohtani's jacket View Post
    That's no reason to use it as a standard for greatness.

Maybe it's because I come from a country that doesn't have a great history of Test cricket, but relative to Sri Lankan cricket and what they've achieved since they were given Test status, I think Jayawardene is a great Sri Lanka batsman. Whether he goes on to be considered a great Test batsman, time will tell. I don't think his away record should have anything to do with that, but cricket is taken altogether too seriously by the majority of cricket fans, so I won't be surprised if it plays a part.
    But he is already considered to be a very fine Test batsman, as others have suggested. For him to make the leap to the next level, he has to succeed away from home. Thats one of the major criteria for great batsman and bowlers: being able to thrive in unfamiliar conditions all over the world.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information