• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mahela Jayawardene very underrated.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Sangakkara is looking pretty well set to eventually become an all-time great test batsman, but you can't say any other SL batsman is one of those. They may have been very very good test batsman, but not great.

Comparatively, India have probably only had 3-4 great test batsman.
SL's test history is only 25 years. By then they've produced about 10 test players who average 40+ with tha bat (Gurusinghe, de Silva, Tillakaratne, Jayawardane, Sangakkara, Vandort, Samaraweera etc)

But when you are coming to great ODI batsman, de SIlva is certainly a one.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
SL's test history is only 25 years. By then they've produced about 10 test players who average 40+ with tha bat (Gurusinghe, de Silva, Tillakaratne, Jayawardane, Sangakkara, Vandort, Samaraweera etc)

But when you are coming to great ODI batsman, de SIlva is certainly a one.
Yeah I was specifically talking tests. You're right about de Silva, and you can add Jayasuriya to that too with regard to ODIs.

neville cardus

International Debutant
That's pretty unfair on Sri Lankan cricket.
It most certainly is not; in fact, the fundamental fairness of that statement is such as I have not seen in a debate of this nature in ages.

The Sri Lankan Test side has been adorned in recent times by many top-notch willow-wielders -- such names as Sangakarra, Jayawardene, Aravinda de Silva, Attapattu and Jayasuriya jump out at one immediately and conspicuously --, but to none of them (at least not yet, in Sangakarra's case) could the hackneyed term "greatness" be accorded.

There is (and has been for quite some time now) an irritating tendency amongst us armchair critics and students of cricket lore to dub a player great in terms only of the standard of his country, rather than that of world cricket, and this I find painfully weak and popularist.

No doubt Sri Lanka has achieved great things in cricket -- great even if we ignore her size and circumstances --, but she is yet to produce a great Test batsman. 'Tis folly to convince ourselves otherwise.

ohtani's jacket

State Vice-Captain
No its not. You don't give out 'all time great' status like its a Borders discount coupon.

Sangakkara is looking pretty well set to eventually become an all-time great test batsman, but you can't say any other SL batsman is one of those. They may have been very very good test batsman, but not great.

Comparatively, India have probably only had 3-4 great test batsman.
Ranking cricket players is arbitary. It's something we do for fun. It doesn't mean anything in real terms. Sri Lanka's best Test batsmen scoring runs for their country means more than "Top 10, All Time" lists.

I think it's really unfair that Sri Lanka's best batsmen can't be considered great Test players. If Cricket had a Hall of Fame like other sports (and not just the MCG Hall of Fame for Australian cricketers or getting your name on the wall at Lords), I'm sure the likes of de Silva would eventually be inducted.

If Jayawardene goes on to score close to 10,000 runs and another half a dozen centuries, but never picks up his away average, what are people gonna say?

To be honest, his away stats aren't that bad. He's had as many decent knocks as he's had failures.

ohtani's jacket

State Vice-Captain
There is (and has been for quite some time now) an irritating tendency amongst us armchair critics and students of cricket lore to dub a player great in terms only of the standard of his country, rather than that of world cricket, and this I find painfully weak and popularist..
Well, you're entitled to your opinion and I'll respect it as such, but I find that sort of thing off-putting about cricket. Perhaps I have no feel for the game, but many of cricket's sensibilities annoy me. Inzamam's sit-in was one of them. The darkest day for Test cricket and all but forgotten a month later.

JBH001

International Regular
A fine Test batsmen, but not a great.

Completely dominates England, India and South Africa while being quite poor against Australia and Pakistan means that he hasn't performed against all opposition. Not to mention the small matter of his away average. 37.21 is very mediocre.
Agreed, I guess. Although it must be said that he has improved that average in the last 3 - 4 years to just under 40, and I would like to see him drag his career overseas average over that 40 mark by the time he hangs up his gloves. He has also, iirc, only scored 4 centuries overseas (this may need confirmation) - which is very poor indeed, however, it must also be said that 3 of those 4 hundreds came in testing circumstances, of which two led to the saving of the match for Sri Lanka. I think he will get there in the end.

JBH001

International Regular
It's a given that at times he averaged higher in away Tests, in whole series even. He may have averaged higher over a certain period, in certain countries or even gotten better with age, but the basic fact remains -- he averaged 36 over his career. No amount of footnotes changes that. The guy scored 9 centuries overseas. He wasn't a bad player away from home, but his away record doesn't match his home record & no matter how clever you think you are, it's plain as day.
Aravinda is a strange case, I think. IIRC up until 1996/97 (I think, this is all recollection) he had scored relatively few runs at home, and had more centuries overseas than at home (wonder what we would have said if this discussion was had at that time?). But then he had that golden run with the bat (which co-incided with a run of home games) where he plundered hundred after hundred against all comers. Then came an inevitable drop, which took place mostly overseas, and this may have skewed his stats even further.

I guess the point I am trying to make is that Aravinda was a better bat overseas than he is given credit for. And while his stats may indeed reflect a home dominance I dont think the difference is as large as those numbers might seem to make it out to be.

(He was a hell of an entertaining bat though like so many of the SL batsmen, and his 112 in the 95 B and H final, iirc, was one of the best - one-day knocks - I have ever seen. It was a top knock. Akram could do nothing against him and interestingly rates him, in his autobio, as the second best bat he ever bowled to - Crowe was the first by the way)

Edit/ Rethink that. Just had a look at his figures upto the start of 1997 and despite having 6 overseas hundreds to 2 home hundreds, his avg was 33 away to 39 at home (which probably indicates a poor starter away from home and failure to convert at home).

Last edited:

ohtani's jacket

State Vice-Captain
From 1991 to 1996, which was the first serious phase of Aravinda's career, he averaged 44.08 at home (2 centuries, 8 half-centuries) and 32.54 away (3 centuries and 2 half-centuries). One of those away centuries was in Pakistan, the rest of his 50+ scores were in New Zealand, predominantly on the 1990/91 tour. If not for New Zealand, his away average would've been 21.26.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Aravinda would have been a better batsman if he had support from others. He is the first top class batsman to be produced by SL in test matches. His averages may not speak for him, but every opposition playing SL rated him very highly (Warne gives a nice insight on this, that they had a plan for rest of the team and a seperate one for Aravinda).

His real potentials were seen at ODI level. He was easily in top 10 ODI batsman in last 25 years.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It's a given that at times he averaged higher in away Tests, in whole series even. He may have averaged higher over a certain period, in certain countries or even gotten better with age, but the basic fact remains -- he averaged 36 over his career. No amount of footnotes changes that. The guy scored 9 centuries overseas. He wasn't a bad player away from home, but his away record doesn't match his home record & no matter how clever you think you are, it's plain as day.
It's simplistic to take an overall career record and ignore the many things that it misreprisents. No-one can possibly be criticised for being better at home than away at a time when they were poor both home and away, it's plain madness. It's also plain madness to judge a player on a single bad series, which Aravinda had more of than not overseas, he hardly played anyone more than once overseas during the time he was a batsman of note.

Overall career averages tell you little. That's plain as day. You need to look far deeper.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Aravinda is a strange case, I think. IIRC up until 1996/97 (I think, this is all recollection) he had scored relatively few runs at home, and had more centuries overseas than at home (wonder what we would have said if this discussion was had at that time?). But then he had that golden run with the bat (which co-incided with a run of home games) where he plundered hundred after hundred against all comers. Then came an inevitable drop, which took place mostly overseas, and this may have skewed his stats even further.

I guess the point I am trying to make is that Aravinda was a better bat overseas than he is given credit for. And while his stats may indeed reflect a home dominance I dont think the difference is as large as those numbers might seem to make it out to be.

(He was a hell of an entertaining bat though like so many of the SL batsmen, and his 112 in the 95 B and H final, iirc, was one of the best - one-day knocks - I have ever seen. It was a top knock. Akram could do nothing against him and interestingly rates him, in his autobio, as the second best bat he ever bowled to - Crowe was the first by the way)

Edit/ Rethink that. Just had a look at his figures upto the start of 1997 and despite having 6 overseas hundreds to 2 home hundreds, his avg was 33 away to 39 at home (which probably indicates a poor starter away from home and failure to convert at home).
From 1991 to 1996, which was the first serious phase of Aravinda's career, he averaged 44.08 at home (2 centuries, 8 half-centuries) and 32.54 away (3 centuries and 2 half-centuries). One of those away centuries was in Pakistan, the rest of his 50+ scores were in New Zealand, predominantly on the 1990/91 tour. If not for New Zealand, his away average would've been 21.26.
This, I maintain, is the most accurate summation of the periods of Aravinda's career.

JBH001

International Regular
I will have to look at those stats in greater detail. However, it certainly does exclude his (iirc) 167 and 2 scores of 70 odd in the 89/90 (I think) tour of Australia.

My point is simply, and I am in partial agreement with Richard on this, that Aravinda was better overseas than his overall statistical record indicates (I dont deny however that he was better at home - like most batsmen).

ohtani's jacket

State Vice-Captain
I will have to look at those stats in greater detail. However, it certainly does exclude his (iirc) 167 and 2 scores of 70 odd in the 89/90 (I think) tour of Australia.
Up until the end of 1991, practically all of Aravinda's success had come away from home (IIRC, he didn't make his first century at home until 1993), but he'd only played 6 Tests at home and 18 abroad. Over the rest of his career, his home and away numbers averaged out to what they are today -- which I think is a pretty fair reflection of his career. Career averages might not tell you *how* a batsman came to average those numbers, but they can't be dismissed outright.

Take Aravinda's career year for example -- 1997, when he scored 1220 runs in 11 Tests. 4 Tests at home -- 824 runs at 164.80 with 6 centuries. 7 Tests away -- 396 runs at 36.00 with a century and 2 half-centuries. An extreme example, but even at the peak of his powers his performances at home outmatched his performances away from home. He had quite respectable numbers overseas for the rest of his career, however, and again, IIRC, he was a very good County cricketer, so likewise, I don't believe he was rubbish away from home.

ohtani's jacket

State Vice-Captain
Fair enough, but would you care to be a little clearer on why you disagree with it?
In my opinion, Sri Lankan cricketers should be judged relative to what Sri Lanka has accomplished in Test cricket. If cricket were an even playing field, I could understand a universal standard. But it's not. It's proven extremely difficult for Sri Lanka to produce world class batsmen, compared to a country like Australia where they seem to roll off an assembly line. Obviously Australia shouldn't be "punished" for having excellent infrastructure and a long cricketing history, but they should be judged by different standards. As a rugby fan, I wouldn't judge English rugby players on how they compare to All Black or Springbok greats.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
NBA sides play a minimum of 82 games a season & teams that go deep into the playoffs can play upwards of 100. They travel more than international cricketers.
You're serious about this? They travel within the same country and play all their games indoors where weather and "pitch" conditions have absolutely zero bearing. Get off it.

ohtani's jacket

State Vice-Captain
You're serious about this? They travel within the same country and play all their games indoors where weather and "pitch" conditions have absolutely zero bearing. Get off it.
An NBA player's schedule is harder than an international cricketer's. Winning on the road is tough. Even the best teams have a road record that's barely over .500. The weather doesn't play a part -- so what? Cricket's not the only sport that's played outdoors. Rugby is played in the rain, American football is played in the snow... I'm sorry, but cricket fans are precious about cricket. That's what it boils down to. Therefore, we have these grandiose standards, when playing away from home is a factor in any major domestic or international sport.