• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Woes of NZC

Flem274*

123/5
Seeing as we're 3/30 I think it's the perfect time for a crack at this bunch of duffers. To me it just looks like the NZRFU-a boys club. It's full of favouritism and vote for your mates. If you're not liked by the club then you don't get selected e.g. Lou Vincent for most of his career, Matt Sinclair, Michael Papps and Andre Adams. If you're matey with the coach like the Marshalls you get a game. Its a bunch of amatuers who like to think of the players as lego bricks and rearrange the line up more than Graham Henry's rotation policy. The selection policies come from the jurrassic period, the line ups are a mess and the whole thing is a shambles. I vote CricketWeb members take over the management of NZC because we seem to have more sense than they do which is worrying. Thoughts?

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I wouldn't have you guys running NZC either as the team would be chopped and changed with every single game!

Phlegm - you'd have Peter Ingram and Tim Weston in the team straight away. Not on in my opinion.

Flem274*

123/5
I wouldn't have you guys running NZC either as the team would be chopped and changed with every single game!

Phlegm - you'd have Peter Ingram and Tim Weston in the team straight away. Not on in my opinion.
Nah I wouldn't you lot wouldn't let me.

I don't think Weston is international quality anyway. If Ingram continues last seasons form for a bit more he should be considered IMO

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I don't mind Ingram. He's certainly got a better technique than How. Sadly, he's a little bit 'too old' for the selectors. They'd much rather waste two years trying to groom a no-hoper (James Marshall) than throw an older guy with more ability in there.

Athlai

Not Terrible
But it's similar for the SLC and so forth, their are favourites and you only really notice if it doesn't pay off.

Flem274*

123/5
Its still not acceptable though Athers, we should aim for excellence, not continuing the man love behind closed NZC doors.

Craig

World Traveller
When was the last time any of the Marshall brothers actually played for New Zealand?

archie mac

International Coach
I think NZ at their best have always had one great player that would walk into the Aust side; Hadlee, Crowe, Turner, Bond, not sure if any of the current lot (except maybe the captain) would make the current Aussie team?

Craig

World Traveller
Aside from Hogg all of Australia's spinners are dire so I don't think Vettori will have too much problems.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Seeing as we're 3/30 I think it's the perfect time for a crack at this bunch of duffers. To me it just looks like the NZRFU-a boys club. It's full of favouritism and vote for your mates. If you're not liked by the club then you don't get selected e.g. Lou Vincent for most of his career, Matt Sinclair, Michael Papps and Andre Adams. If you're matey with the coach like the Marshalls you get a game. Its a bunch of amatuers who like to think of the players as lego bricks and rearrange the line up more than Graham Henry's rotation policy. The selection policies come from the jurrassic period, the line ups are a mess and the whole thing is a shambles. I vote CricketWeb members take over the management of NZC because we seem to have more sense than they do which is worrying. Thoughts?
Why on earth do you think the NZC administration has absolutely anything to do with the selection panel? Are you really trying to suggest Justin Vaughan sticks his oar into selection meetings? Don't tar the whole organisation with the dodgy selection brush.

The problem, solely, lies with Bracewell. There have been several rumblings about him being particularly stubborn re: certain players. At least one of Hadlee, Turner and Nash (can't remember which) has made mutterings about their place on the panel being pretty much honorary spots. I'm pretty sure selections on tour are made by the coach and captain and maybe one other player and we all know who will get the final call there.

The tinkering with the batting order has, quite simply, been unacceptable.

slugger

State Vice-Captain
the whole hopkins/mccullum idea is just like the germon/parore idea in the mid 90's did it work then.. and wasnt turner coach back then.. and hes selector now... hmmmm

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I'm pretty sure selections on tour are made by the coach and captain and maybe one other player and we all know who will get the final call there.
Nothing wrong with that at all as long as the coach then takes full responsibility for results.

Surely Bracewell should have fallen on his sword by now?

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Nothing wrong with that at all as long as the coach then takes full responsibility for results.

Surely Bracewell should have fallen on his sword by now?
I have no problem with that concept in principle, but Bracewell is such an abrasive, commanding force, I can't see Vettori/Fleming/whoever having much say at all.

As abrasive as Bracewell is, he's even more stubborn - he won't go until he's practically pushed down the laundry chute.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm not too well-versed with what happens in NZC, but from what I have seen of recent Kiwi teams, they're well-balanced, well-rounded and play well as a unit. They're very versatile, but often lack that something extra to convert a good start in a tournament into a tournament win.