• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Should we ask Warne to come out of retirement?

Get Warney back!!

• Total voters

Matt79

Global Moderator
Given the injury to MacGill? I know he'll be rusty, but a 60% ready-to-go Warne is probably a better bet than any of the spin alternatives.

Him leading us to a 4-0 series over India could be the perfect coda to his fairytale career! ;)

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Isn't Australia the best team in the world? Why go back to a retired guy? West Indies must be improving then..........:ph34r:

slugger

State Vice-Captain
it seems abit desperate from a team that first would never want to look desperate and second doesnt need to.

gettingbetter

State Vice-Captain
Given the injury to MacGill? I know he'll be rusty, but a 60% ready-to-go Warne is probably a better bet than any of the spin alternatives.

Him leading us to a 4-0 series over India could be the perfect coda to his fairytale career! ;)
5 zip against England to regain the Ashes seems like the perfect finish.

Its also not going to help develop other spinners having him back in the team, why delay the inevitable?

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
I'd love him to come out just for the sheer joy I have in seeing him play. But I am not quite sure we 'need' him.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
I think the lack of McGain love on here is starting to piss me off. Wouldn't even ask him to come back for Victoria. When you have McGain do you need anyone else.

sideshowtim

Banned
We're not that desperate...

I don't know why playing 4 quicks is seen as a cricketing sin. If the 4 best bowlers in the country are quicks, why on Earth shouldn't we play them?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Quite. I'm all for variety when at all possible, but there seems little point playing a spinner just for the sake of it if no-one matches up.

That said I sort of thought Warney went maybe a year or two early; I agree with GB that he'll struggle to top a 5-0 Ashes, but with no MacGill, Hogg getting a bit of a tonking in the Pura & the other option a 35 year old with about a dozen FC games, the great man does look the best option.

Plus I've got McGain in my dream team.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Yeah I thought Warne would play 1-2 years more too Brumby. Was very surprised when he retired.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever

Warne will not be the crucial player against India. He isn't effective against them. A good young fast bowler will help you guys a lot more.

pup11

International Coach

Matt what are you trying do here, mate don't get me wrong i also love Warnie and he would always be one of my favourite cricketers but now his time is over he's played his part to perfection in all the years he has served his country he has always been a joy to watch but now its time to move on and we can manage "even without him" we might not wrap up test's on Day 3 or 4 anymore but we still have enough talent to help us maintain our high standards.
Give Hogg or McGain a chance and if they fail then we can think of using a four man pace attack.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
It's not as if he's totally retired anyway, is it? He played a full season for Hants and is contracted for another next year.

I know Australians probably view the county championship as the cricketing equivalent of pottering around the garden and tending the roses, but Warne is on record as saying it's "serious cricket".

I don't think it's likely, but if the selectors went cap in hand to him I reckon a bloke of his obvious ego (not a criticism) would find it very hard to dismiss it out of hand.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I've never been a fan of not playing a spinner, but I've always said you play your best four bowlers in the country, no matter if they're a spinner or a quick or whatever. And, if our best four bowlers are quicks, I'm all for it.