Cricket Player Manager
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shane Bond

Shane Bond

Shane Bond has been the find of the century for the New Zealand Cricket Team, as he has destroyed Australia in the VB series 18 months ago, and looks like to continue to play a huge role in the success of the New Zealand Cricket Team.

He has now got Ricky Ponting all six times they have met in One Day cricket between the two sides, making Ricky Ponting, Shane Bonds "bunny" batsman.

He is up there with the quickest, and can bowl in the mid 150 km per hour mark. That is about the same speed as extreme pacers of Shoaib Akhtar, Pakistan, and Brett Lee of Australia.

Any feedback on Shane Bonds rise would be good.

I think he's got it in him to be NZ's next Hadlee. Probably not as great, but surely should be one of the Kiwis' main strike bowlers of recent times.

When I think of Kiwi strike bowlers, I think of Geoff Allot. I hope nothing happens to anybody such that they go down his road

Tim
    Bond is about 4 or 5 k's slower than Lee & Ahktar when they hit top gear.

But NZ need to find a partner in crime for Bond, I think it will be Ian Butler because he has been bowling quick this season for N.D with success.

Originally posted by Tim

But NZ need to find a partner in crime for Bond, I think it will be Ian Butler because he has been bowling quick this season for N.D with success.
    Cairns? He's got a good few years in him, doesn't he?

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Shane Bond has been the find of the century for the New Zealand Cricket Team
    If you're talking about this century (2000-2100) well it just may be early to say, considering were in early 2003.

As for last century, well I think Hadlee might have something to say about that.

Seriously, there's no doubting he's a sensational bowler. He has pace (more than Hadlee ever had), accuracy and movement. Plush he has quite an awkward trajectory. He's definately reminicent of Hadlee in his action and trajectory (as well as his propensity to keep the ball full) but he just needs to remember to keep the ball well up in Tests. For mine, his length is a little short to take consistent wickets in Tests. Once he figures that one out, he may be one of the greats

Another cloud on the horizon; injury. Within the next year, I reckon we may see Bond with stress fractures in his lower back. Sure he's bowling quickly but when he really tries to let go, his back twists as he leans over to try for that extra pace. If he doesn't change it soon, he might just be out of the NZ side with an injury like this.

Remember, you heard it here first!
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

He probably has the most orthodox action out of Akhtar, Lee and Bond.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    He probably has the most orthodox action out of Akhtar, Lee and Bond.
    Akhtar, yes but Lee, no way. Lee has had stress fractures three times in his career thusfar and has had to remedy his action to even play today. His action these days is primarily front-on and is as smooth and co-ordinated as any action you'll see.

As I said, Bond's action is strong but that slight lean he has will cause him problems.

Talking about beautifully effective injury-free actions, Glenn McGrath comes to mind

It's a shame not everyone can stay as injury free as him...

That's why being big helps as a fast bowler, you can spare the back some pressure...

Tim
    McGrath has just been a machine for Australia.

Originally posted by Tim
    McGrath has just been a machine for Australia.
    He gets top marks for reliability :P Unlike many other so called "greater" players who sometimes fail in the face of danger.

Tim
    What a team would give to have a player like McGrath who never breaks down & takes wickets as consistently as he does and at an economical rate.

He just has that ability to still take a wicket the very next ball even after he's been smashed out of the ground for 6. I bet you'd never feel you were in when you are facing McGrath.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Simon's Avatar
    Originally posted by Tim
    What a team would give to have a player like McGrath who never breaks down & takes wickets as consistently as he does and at an economical rate.
    we have one.
    His name is McGrath
    :P :P :P

Target Champion! Stuarts Xtreme Skateboarding Champion!
    Originally posted by Tim

That's so true. Great fast bowlers hunt in pairs (the West Indies in the 70's and 80's actually hunted in packs).
    Nigel Clough's Black and White Army, beating Forest away with 10 men

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Originally posted by luckyeddie
    Great fast bowlers hunt in pairs
    Watch out next summer for England's pairing of Hoggard and Harmison!

Actually I could see Hoggard taking a stack of wickets against Zim in early season conditions, especially now they don't have their key batsman.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar
    Originally posted by Tim
    who never breaks down & takes wickets as consistently as he does and at an economical rate
    Ahhh....Walsh and Ambrose.......
    Sreesanth said, "Next ball he was beaten and I said, 'is this the King Charles Lara? Who is this impostor, moving around nervously? I should have kept my mouth shut for the next ball - mind you, it was a length ball - Lara just pulled it over the church beyond the boundary! He is a true legend."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information