• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Shane Bond

shaka

International Regular
Shane Bond has been the find of the century for the New Zealand Cricket Team, as he has destroyed Australia in the VB series 18 months ago, and looks like to continue to play a huge role in the success of the New Zealand Cricket Team.

He has now got Ricky Ponting all six times they have met in One Day cricket between the two sides, making Ricky Ponting, Shane Bonds "bunny" batsman.

He is up there with the quickest, and can bowl in the mid 150 km per hour mark. That is about the same speed as extreme pacers of Shoaib Akhtar, Pakistan, and Brett Lee of Australia.

Any feedback on Shane Bonds rise would be good.

krkode

State Captain
I think he's got it in him to be NZ's next Hadlee. Probably not as great, but surely should be one of the Kiwis' main strike bowlers of recent times.

When I think of Kiwi strike bowlers, I think of Geoff Allot. I hope nothing happens to anybody such that they go down his road :(

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Bond is about 4 or 5 k's slower than Lee & Ahktar when they hit top gear.

But NZ need to find a partner in crime for Bond, I think it will be Ian Butler because he has been bowling quick this season for N.D with success.

krkode

State Captain
Tim said:

But NZ need to find a partner in crime for Bond, I think it will be Ian Butler because he has been bowling quick this season for N.D with success.
Cairns? He's got a good few years in him, doesn't he?

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Shane Bond has been the find of the century for the New Zealand Cricket Team
If you're talking about this century (2000-2100) well it just may be early to say, considering were in early 2003. :D

As for last century, well I think Hadlee might have something to say about that. ;)

Seriously, there's no doubting he's a sensational bowler. He has pace (more than Hadlee ever had), accuracy and movement. Plush he has quite an awkward trajectory. He's definately reminicent of Hadlee in his action and trajectory (as well as his propensity to keep the ball full) but he just needs to remember to keep the ball well up in Tests. For mine, his length is a little short to take consistent wickets in Tests. Once he figures that one out, he may be one of the greats

Another cloud on the horizon; injury. Within the next year, I reckon we may see Bond with stress fractures in his lower back. Sure he's bowling quickly but when he really tries to let go, his back twists as he leans over to try for that extra pace. If he doesn't change it soon, he might just be out of the NZ side with an injury like this.

Remember, you heard it here first!

Top_Cat

He probably has the most orthodox action out of Akhtar, Lee and Bond.
Akhtar, yes but Lee, no way. Lee has had stress fractures three times in his career thusfar and has had to remedy his action to even play today. His action these days is primarily front-on and is as smooth and co-ordinated as any action you'll see.

As I said, Bond's action is strong but that slight lean he has will cause him problems.

krkode

State Captain
Talking about beautifully effective injury-free actions, Glenn McGrath comes to mind :)

It's a shame not everyone can stay as injury free as him...

That's why being big helps as a fast bowler, you can spare the back some pressure...

krkode

State Captain
Tim said:
McGrath has just been a machine for Australia.
He gets top marks for reliability :P Unlike many other so called "greater" players who sometimes fail in the face of danger.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
What a team would give to have a player like McGrath who never breaks down & takes wickets as consistently as he does and at an economical rate.

He just has that ability to still take a wicket the very next ball even after he's been smashed out of the ground for 6. I bet you'd never feel you were in when you are facing McGrath.

Simon

Tim said:
What a team would give to have a player like McGrath who never breaks down & takes wickets as consistently as he does and at an economical rate.
we have one.
His name is McGrath
:P :P :P

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Tim said:

That's so true. Great fast bowlers hunt in pairs (the West Indies in the 70's and 80's actually hunted in packs).

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
luckyeddie said:
Great fast bowlers hunt in pairs
Watch out next summer for England's pairing of Hoggard and Harmison! :lol:

Actually I could see Hoggard taking a stack of wickets against Zim in early season conditions, especially now they don't have their key batsman.

Bazza

International 12th Man
Bond needs to perform against other people. Sometimes players get criticised despite having very good records, for not performing against the top sides (Australia). Bond seems to have the opposite problem so far:

Against Australia he has taken 22 wickets at 10 from 6 matches. Extraordinary! His SR is 15.5, econ 4.04.

Against Bangladesh and Canada he has 10 wickets at 8 from 3 games, SR 15, econ 3.32.

Against other test playing nations (India, SL, SA, WI), he has played 15 games, and taken 15 wickets at 39.27, SR 49.4, econ 4.77.

I know it's early in his career, but other than 2 or 3 amazing performances against Australia, he hasn't consistently produced results as yet.

krkode

State Captain
Bazza, if you discount India from that last list, I think he will have done worse against SL, SA and WI.

His record against India is also impressive :P

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah he has struggled against West Indies & South Africa for sure..but give him a break he has only bowled to Sri Lanka once & has yet to play against England & Pakistan & against India he has played about 3 ODI's so really those stats count for nothing.

The team he has played the most is Australia and if he sets those standards against the other nations then look out.