• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

20/20 at Olympics in 2020???

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
2020 is a fair way off! Personally I don't agree with cricket at the Olympics - the Cricket World Cup is (supposedly) cricket's big event and should stay that way.

sideshowtim

Banned
Good idea imo. Would give the game a global audience
True, but it doesn't necesarilly mean much.

Handball is an olympic sport and outside the Eastern European nations, I don't think any nations care in the slightest about it.

It's always confused me as to what makes a sport eligible enough for the Olympics...Why are sports like Taekwondo and Shooting there every year when far, far, far, far more globally popular sports like cricket are barely considered?

Fiery

Banned

Handball is an olympic sport and outside the Eastern European nations, I don't think any nations care in the slightest about it.

It's always confused me as to what makes a sport eligible enough for the Olympics...Why are sports like Taekwondo and Shooting there every year when far, far, far, far more globally popular sports like cricket are barely considered?
Yeah but it's the only time I ever watch Handball. Cricket is "globally popular"? I think you'll find Shooting is fairly global.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Depends what you consider Eastern Europe, but the German and Spanish leagues occasionally have five-digit crowds. So do top international games. Larger than field hockey in Europe, at least.

Cricket was never considered before because it was openly professional, when the IOC tried up to the 1980s to maintain the charade that the Olympic sports were amateur.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year

I played handball in High School:ph34r:

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If 20/20 makes it into the Olympics in 2020, then the 20/20 World Cup should be replaced by the Olympic event. Otherwise it would be overkill.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
It's a good idea if they do similar to football/soccer where it's under 23s and your allowed 3 players over that age.

To make the contest even closer they could have that rule for the official Twenty20 or ODI Countries and the other countries could pick players of any age.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
I don't think cricket deserves to be in the Olympics - it's barely deviated from being a game for the Empire and its colonial outposts. It's as global as, or actually less than, rugby union and there's no way union should be there.

It is not the job of the Olympics to raise a sport's profle, it's the sport's ruling body's job.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Reckon your giving the Olympics a bit too much credit their Volters. They have a load of tripe nowadays, may as well add some we like.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
You don't see how volleyball, which has the most member countries for any sporting organisation in the world, deserves to be in the Olympics? Or tae kwon do, with more than 70 countries represented at a congress in South Africa?