• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

20/20 at Olympics in 2020???

Athlai

Not Terrible
Would quite like to see the list of the countries who play said sports and the amount of players.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Look for it yourself, you lazy sod. :p

And besides, if you'd seen the Italian women's volleyball team in action at the Sydney Olympics, there'd be no way in hell you'd be trying to get rid of that sport... :naughty:

Athlai

Not Terrible
Look for it yourself, you lazy sod. :p

And besides, if you'd seen the Italian women's volleyball team in action at the Sydney Olympics, there'd be no way in hell you'd be trying to get rid of that sport... :naughty:
At Athens I watched the whole of the womans volleyball.

Every last minute. :laugh:

I'm just saying that while Cricket isn't really something I think should be at the Olympics there is already plenty there that is out of place so a condensed world-wide form of the game would be at home in the modern day Olympics.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Cricket at the Olymics would be a massive step forward.

Many countries have a resevoir of money for development of Olympic sports. Sports can usually only get Government recognition and investment if they are Olympic sports.

It would also have a positive knock-on effect that in order to have access to this pool of cash the domestic cricket authorities would have to be quite well organised. Given the standard of cricket administration around the world this is a bonus.

This would be a big development

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Cricket at the Olymics would be a massive step forward.

Many countries have a resevoir of money for development of Olympic sports. Sports can usually only get Government recognition and investment if they are Olympic sports.

It would also have a positive knock-on effect that in order to have access to this pool of cash the domestic cricket authorities would have to be quite well organised. Given the standard of cricket administration around the world this is a bonus.

This would be a big development

You mean like this

And for those who wont be able to read the article

CRICKET: Local cricket eyeing funding from NOCK

Story by RICHARD MWANGI
Publication Date: 12/17/2007

The return of cricket into the Olympic Movement after more than a 100 years has opened doors for the sport to get grants from the National Olympic Committee of Kenya for the first time.

Previously, cricket could not benefit from grants given by NOCK because the International Cricket Council was not an affiliate member of the International Olympic Committee.

The Cricket Kenya chairman, Samir Inamdar, Sunday said the earliest cricket could feature in the Olympics is 2016 or 2020.

Countries will play the Twenty20 format in the Olympics.

Inmadar said negotiations between IOC and ICC had been going on for several years and that the inclusion of the women’s cricket in ICC and the introduction of anti-doping in ICC-organised events had hastened their acceptance.

The IOC’s decision to recognise the ICC and cricket, for the first time since the sport featured in the 1900 Paris Olympiad, will lead to closer collaboration for the good of sport. It is also expected to enhance cricket’s profile in territories where it is a developing sport.

The ICC president, Ray Mali said: “This is great news for cricket. The Olympic Movement is instantly recognisable around the world and for cricket to be a part of that again has to be a good thing.

“The ICC and IOC share similar values, such as a spirit of fair play in a competitive but ultimately friendly environment. Cricket – like all sports – should be played hard but fair and I think the special atmosphere that surrounds the Olympic Games demonstrates all that is good about sport.”

Mali who, along with ICC directors David Morgan and Tunku Imran, met IOC president Jacques Rogge in Lausanne in October, said IOC recognition had been part of the ICC’s current strategic plan.

He said: “Our goal has been to become an international federation that is recognised by the IOC and we are pleased to have achieved this target. We want to play an active role in the Olympic Movement.”

Print this Page
Email this Story
Save this Story
- - - - - - - -

--

Chemosit

First Class Debutant
I'd love to see it happen for several of the reasons mentioned above. I think the age restriction idea is a good one to keep the competition more balanced.

It would be interesting to see the different sides from the West Indies compete under their own flags - maybe it would even help revive interest there?

Certainly for the Associates the fact that it opens up access to national Olympic funds is a huge help. in terms of spreading the game, I think it would do a lot of good. For mine, anything that gets more people interested in the game should be encouraged.