• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Gavaskar v Boycott

Who was the better opener?

• Total voters

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
No, Avada Kedavra, you've got it all wrong. India-WI matches in that period were organized purely as an excuse to see how Gavaskar would do against the mighty West Indian four-pronged pace quartet. Sadly, it seems the WI selectors didn't get the memo and kept picking other bowlers instead most of the time. 8-)

No, Avada Kedavra, you've got it all wrong. India-WI matches in that period were organized purely as an excuse to see how Gavaskar would do against the mighty West Indian four-pronged pace quartet. Sadly, it seems the WI selectors didn't get the memo and kept picking other bowlers instead most of the time. 8-)
:laugh:

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Like I said,those 4 only played only 2 series together.No team aside from Eng and Ind played them together,so runs scored by batsmen against WI from Aus,Pak etc should be discounted?! The point is Gavaskar's record against WI is still miles better than any other batsman's from that era.To put it in perspective,no-one has scored 13 centuries even against the current joke WI attack!

And no that wasn't sarcasm really,Amarnath did average above 60 in that series, I think.Clearly as series against the 4 pronged attack is the only criterion for greatness,Amarnath is among the world's best batsmen if not the best after the Don huh?!

And speaking of bias and double standards,you do a fine job of that yourself.You were bleating about how Ponting overcame his woes in India in the pace vs spin thread.Let's play this your way-Kumble was past his peak then and Harbhajan was in crap form.Sound argument isn't it?

The point is anyone's record can be dissected into small samples to make them look bad,be it Sobers or Lara or Tendulkar or Ponting.Not going to break my head on this though,it's a futile exercise trying to convice those who can't be convinced.
My word. Yes the much vaunted & legendary, ultimate "4-prong" (Roberts/Holding/Garner/Croft or Marshall or Daniel or Davis or Clarke) only played a few series together (forgot the exact figure ATM). But that doesn't change the fact that between 1976-1995 the Windies always had a quality pace attacks whether it was just 3 or them or less dymanic 4. So ridiculous to even suggest even sarcastically that in your words "No team aside from Eng and Ind played them together,so runs scored by batsmen against WI from Aus,Pak etc should be discounted?! . Thats a gross insult to great WI team of those 20 years, there was no easy runs for opposition during that period (excpet technically maybe when the main quicks went away for WSC 78-79). I am absoutely flabbergasted by what you just said here.

I have not debated whether Gavaskar record vs WI is not the best of his era - it most likely still was (although i think G Chappell was comparable), even if you discount certain series he played againts them. The WI bowlers of the time based on what i know still rate him as the most/if not the most difficult opposiiton batsman of the time. Its just that the average of 65, which over the years has been tended to be taken on face value - he clearly didn't dominate them that well. Simple

Average/decent/poor batsmen & very-good/great batsmen have been able to score runs againts quality pace-attacks on roads/flat-ptiches. But 95% of the time (the next 5 % is the freak occurances) in test history, MAINLY only top-class batsmen have been able to score runs/hundreds againts quality pace attacks in bowler friendly conditions. Amanarth performances in the 83/84 series in the WI falls into the decent batsman & 5% category. Please dont make me have to make a list showing this in test history.

On your Ponting point. Yes Kumble was certainly passed his peak then. But Harbhajan was not in crap form i dont know what you where watching. Harbhajan always bowls well on turner @ home even if over the years he has disappointed some with the fact that he doesn't flight the ball like his younger days (vs AUS 2001). Plus lets not forget Harbhajan had sort of developed a knack of getting Ponting out alot - as he showed in AUS 03/04 - so it was a very personal duel.

Mishra was an adequate replacement for Kumble @ he troubled all the AYS batsmen. It is fairly obvious the way Ponting played the spin vs IND 2008 was far better than in 98 & 2001. The pushing @ hard hands of 01 & 98 was gone & that was replaced with Ponting adapting a VVS Laxman style of playing the spin of the back foot.

Finally no. Most of the great players in test history have perfect records. Of the players you listed i would love to see someone find legitimate holes in the records of Sobers, Tendy, Lara, Ponting. Since AFAIC, no legitimate one exists.

If you come on CW or any cricketchat forum online trying to convince others of your POVs, it is indeed a futile exercise since you would be wasting your . CC forums are for the sharing of opinions - if someone happens to agree with you - thats fine - but if they dont that doesn't the matter either.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
My word. Yes the much vaunted & legendary, ultimate "4-prong" (Roberts/Holding/Garner/Croft or Marshall or Daniel or Davis or Clarke) only played a few series together (forgot the exact figure ATM). But that doesn't change the fact that between 1976-1995 the Windies always had a quality pace attacks whether it was just 3 or them or less dymanic 4. So ridiculous to even suggest even sarcastically that in your words "No team aside from Eng and Ind played them together,so runs scored by batsmen against WI from Aus,Pak etc should be discounted?! . Thats a gross insult to great WI team of those 20 years, there was no easy runs for opposition during that period (excpet technically maybe when the main quicks went away for WSC 78-79). I am absoutely flabbergasted by what you just said here.
Have to agree with this - any side that can restrict a bowler as magnificent as Sylvester Clarke to a dozen tests must have an embarassment of riches at its disposal

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
So, Sire, Does Sunil 'FTB' Gavaskar fit your definition of a 'true great'?
The Little Master is a great & is the greatest opener of all-time i was never questioning this. I am putting his record vs the WI (which was done before by CW most favourite SJS years ago) into proper context.

Teja.

Global Moderator
The Little Master is a great & is the greatest opener of all-time i was never questioning this. I am putting his record vs the WI (which was done before by CW most favourite SJS years ago) into proper context.
Yeah, more acceptable then.

Have to agree with this - any side that can restrict a bowler as magnificent as Sylvester Clarke to a dozen tests must have an embarassment of riches at its disposal
Which really means Gavaskar's record is indeed very credible and praiseworthy.Simply trying to discredit his record by saying he didn't succeed as much against the 4 together (still scored 2 centuries) when the 4 only ever played 2 series or something together is just ridiculous.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Which really means Gavaskar's record is indeed very credible and praiseworthy.Simply trying to discredit his record by saying he didn't succeed as much against the 4 together (still scored 2 centuries) when the 4 only ever played 2 series or something together is just ridiculous.
Make sure you tell SJS this when you see him on CW again.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's not just in England. Umar Akmal has received some justified criticism for getting out to some dumb shots this summer, yet pretty much no-one criticised him for his dismissal to Swann in the 2nd Test when he padded up to a straight one, which was far stupider than trying to hit him out the ground and skying it up in the air would have been.
It's a much bigger problem in England than it is in Pakistan. If anything Pakistan go too far the other way at times and you end up with players like Afridi who just bat irresponsibly.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
It is such fun not just to go back, as I did as I was looking for that post on Gavaskar, its delightful to see the debates that went on for years, thereafter.

This is the delight of discussing cricket. Unfortunately, not everyone comes equally well informed/prepared ;)

Super stuff - brought back great memories (and a few very irritating moments) of my years at CW.