• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Kallis To Western Australia

Slats4ever

International Vice-Captain
I was reading in the Sunday Telegraph (9/3/02) that Jacques Kallis is getting itchy feet and thinking of moving to Western Australia. He would have to give up all his international playing rights but family problems etc are encouraging him for a fresh start and he has been talking to WA.

Andre

International Regular
I doubt this would happen. South Africa will do anything, anything to keep him.

He could possibly get thrown the captaincy?

Slats4ever

International Vice-Captain
I don't think it'll happen either
but the media's talking and it sounds like it's pretty true

V Reddy

International Debutant
He has committed himself to SAF .

Kallis commits himself to South Africa

JOHANNESBURG (Reuters) - South African cricket received a welcome shot in the arm on Saturday following their early World Cup exit when Jacques Kallis committed himself to playing for his country for the foreseeable future.

Kallis, one of the world's few genuine all rounders, had a modest World Cup but scotched rumours that he was about to pursue his career abroad.

Kallis has been linked with several English counties and, more recently, with Western Australia.

Kallis, though, said: "If there has been any talk, it certainly hasn't reached me."

He told Reuters: "I would hope I have at least a couple of good years at international level left in me, hopefully more."

With Allan Donald's retirement from international cricket, Gary Kirsten's expected retirement from the one-day game and speculation that several other senior players, including Lance Klusener, are considering offers from English counties, Kallis's decision will come as welcome relief to South African cricket officials.

"It was a horrible, disappointing World Cup for all of us but there's only one way to get over it and that's by setting new targets and moving forward. I want to be a part of that," Kallis said.

Donald confirmed his retirement from international matches on Saturday, while Pat Symcox stood down as a South Africa selector. Head selector Omar Henry said Symcox had cited work commitments as the reason.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
well WA cant get every onternational player that comes into the country!!! NSW could use another quick now that Bracken seems to have moved up into the next pace bowler role

perhaps Pollock or Vaas might retire to NSW soon ;)

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
interesting situation, i wouldnt think that Kallis would come to Aus to play now, but i wouldnt rule it out in the future.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
He could quite easily do a dual-contract with an English County and Australian state.

Could this be the death of the South African team? A lot of players are either giving up or considering giving up their rights to play for SA in order to play more lucrative County Cricket...

Langeveldt

Soutie
marc71178 said:
He could quite easily do a dual-contract with an English County and Australian state.

Could this be the death of the South African team? A lot of players are either giving up or considering giving up their rights to play for SA in order to play more lucrative County Cricket...

I doubt it. Its probably all because of the very weak Rand which has been getting much stronger for a while. They are a pretty patriotic bunch, so they wont just walk out unless something is very wrong, or at least I hope not! Still if they are as loyal as that, then good riddance to them!

Bazza

International 12th Man
Langeveldt said:
Still if they are as loyal as that, then good riddance to them!
I can understand it would suck, but would you really feel that way if players of the calibre of Gibbs, Klusener, Boucher, Pollock, Kallis walked out?

You would suddenly drop from 2 in the world to like 6th or 8th almost overnight.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
The press must be really good at making stuff up as Kallis is the player SA are based around and don't forget he's not even 30 yet!

Langeveldt

Soutie
I think it is the start of the inevitable fall out after the nightmare world cup campaign from SA's point of view...I think that first class cricket there, although not as well payed is far better than in England (but not aus, i dont know).

I think a good season coming up against England could put some belief and stability back into the camp...

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
One thing that is confusing me is that every week we hear of another player reportedly willing to give up his International career and go off and seek his fortune in Australia. Fair enough with Flower, the guy is in his mid 30s and is in trouble with the ZCU but Kallis??? Come on! The guy is not yet 30, he's still got a long career ahead of him and he's the cornerstone of the South African batting and bowling attacks!

So is this what the Aussie press gets up to when they are not downgrading Australia's opponents and waxing lyrical about the Australian team?

So what next? Nasser Hussain going over to play for Tasmania during the breaks for ODIs to take place? :rolleyes: