Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Woolmer may replace Wright as coach of Ind

Woolmer may replace Wright as coach of Ind

Read about this in a couple of websites and feel that the BCCI has gone crazy again. If Wright wants a break then they should appoint a coach only till he is away. Dalmiya should be replaced instead:!( . Why is he so interested in replacing Wright? It does not get any crazier than this. Here is a report i read in Rediff(Rik read this and don't trouble me that i copied it ). Here are some of the reactions to it. http://mboard.rediff.com/board/board...2003mar06coach

Woolmer to replace Wright?
    Faisal Shariff in Cape Town | March 06, 2003_12:27 IST
    After John Wright, who?
    The Board of Control for Cricket in India_is reportedly talking to former South Africa coach Bob Woolmer to take over from the New Zealander as the team's coach after the World Cup ends.
    Woolmer, who was born in Kanpur and took a hiatus as coach after his term as South Africa's coach ended, is now up and running. His name is also doing the rounds as possible West Indies coach.
    BCCI joint secretary Jyoti Bajpai, who is also the tour manager here, has denied any move to bring in Woolmer, but the refutation has done little to quell rumours that Wright might not get a second term even if the team wins the World Cup.
    Wright's extended term ends shortly after the World Cup.
    Wright, who is currently strategizing for the Super Six games, has said that he would like to decide about his future only after the World Cup is over. But he has expressed his desire to spend some time with his kids back home.
    A top BCCI official in Delhi refused to confirm the speculation about Woolmer but the news that the BCCI is already thinking of life beyond Wright has sent negative vibes through the team, which has backed Wright to the hilt.
    "We will fight to keep him with the team even if we fail to win the World Cup. He has been brilliant," a team-member said, describing the team's support for Wright as one of the toughest off-field moves they have had to make.
    Speculation about Wright's future first surfaced in September 2001, when Jagmohan Dalmiya took over as BCCI president after his term as the ICC chief ended and sought to tighten the purse-strings in the name of results.
    Replacing Wright, a former New Zealand opener, was one of the moves Dalmiya pondered, but stiff opposition from the seniors -- captain Sourav Ganguly, vice-captain Rahul Dravid and Sachin Tendulkar -- scotched the move.
    More recently, the team's failure in New Zealand was seen as an ideal opportunity to dislodge Wright, who was Dravid's coach at Kent. Former captain Dilip Vengsarkar launched into Wright in an interview, but later denied he was angling for the job.
    A consistent line of argument against Wright has been: why should the Board pay good money to a foreigner if, at the end of it all, the results were going to be no better than those achieved by Indian coaches.
    But with the team now in Super Six and more likely than not to make it to the semi-finals, if not the finals of the World Cup, how valid is that argument, argue those close to the team.
    As it is, the rumour that Wright is paid more than what is paid to Indian coaches has been exposed as a lie. Wright earns Rs 157,000 per month. His immediate predecessor Kapil Dev was paid Rs 200,000. Anshuman Gaekwad was paid just over a 100,000 rupees.
    Last edited by V Reddy; 06-03-2003 at 11:09 AM.

Rik
    Don't worry, I don't mind you copying

much
    "Age is just a stupid number"

20...that's a rather big number :(:(:(

Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    Good, another period of upheaval to stop India threatening to win much...
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    I heard that Woolmer was being lined up by the Windies today - and someone else has suggested him for England!

Personally, I want him back at the Bears!
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

I wouldn't mind him for England, but would be outraged if Fletcher went anywhere any time soon. To be frank, India replacing Wright would be a similar mistake.
    My house is burned down but I can see the sky.

Personally, I liked Wright as coach. Unlike other coaches you don't often see him mouthing off to reporters and then again, the players have done relatively well under his guidance. Not only has he improved them, but he's had the added task of maturing a bunch of youngsters and newbies bar Tendulkar, Ganguly, Dravid and Srinath. The rest all matured under his guidance, and I personally feel he's too good to be replaced, unless of course, HE wants a break. He deserves one, but only if he wants it.:rolleyes:

Tim
    If Wright leaves India, then NZ will definately snap him up because Denis Aberhart comes off contract after the World Cup.
    There is talk that he has already made a verbal agreement with the NZ cricket board, although that could easily be shattered if the Indian Cricket Board start waving dollars in front of him.

With Wright's experience as Indian coach, he would be invaluable to the NZ team IMO.

Cricket Web XI Moderator lord_of_darkness's Avatar
    Thats utterly stupid if Dalmiya wants him out... he has been doing a good job as coach, if anyone needs to be sacked may it be the Indian captain and some stupid selectors who persist with Agarkar !!
    Don L-o-d , Legion Of Doom

Lords Lounge, Off Topic, The Happening Place in CW and OT.

Co Chairman CWBCC - Cricketweb XI - CW Green | Manager of Hampshire CC - Wccc | Chairman of the Muralitharan Supporters Club ~MSC~ |

Current Stats:
    2* - 17-4-35-3 - Season Ends..

Current Record
    Batting - RHB: M:48 Inns:43 Runs:457 H/S:33* Ave:15.5 N.O:10
    Bowling - Off Spin: O:280 M:40 Runs:975 Wickets:104 Ave:9.3 S.R:15.6

But i don't think he will be allowed to go by the players. They stood up for him many a time. Ganguly has even said that Wright and the 2 physios should be there with the team even after the players retire if they are interested.

Rik
    Originally posted by lord_of_darkness
    some stupid selectors who persist with Agarkar !!
    Heeeey...that reminds me...he hasn't played in this WC yet

Target Champion! Stuarts Xtreme Skateboarding Champion!
    Originally posted by Rik
    Heeeey...that reminds me...he hasn't played in this WC yet
    He'll make his only appearance in the final against Kenya - sorry, Australia, score 179* and take 8-11
    Nigel Clough's Black and White Army, beating Forest away with 10 men

Originally posted by luckyeddie
    He'll make his only appearance in the final against Kenya - sorry, Australia, score 179* and take 8-11
    Make that 8/12. I suspect a no-ball coming soon after his double hattrick.:duh:

More like get caught on 0 but because of a no ball given a second chance and run out on the next ball

And 10-0-70-0 he will complete 10 overs cause ganguly will think he might have an wickettaking ball...

and conceding all the extras in the indian total extras of 40

Originally posted by lord_of_darkness
    More like get caught on 0 but because of a no ball given a second chance and run out on the next ball

And 10-0-70-0 he will complete 10 overs cause ganguly will think he might have an wickettaking ball...

and conceding all the extras in the indian total extras of 40
    Well that wasn't very nice.

I'll laugh on the day he takes your middle stump

Ill be laughing that day too cause that would be the only time he will take my middle stump and it would be called a no ball

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information