• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Woolmer may replace Wright as coach of Ind

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
luckyeddie said:
He'll make his only appearance in the final against Kenya - sorry, Australia, score 179* and take 8-11
Wouldn't that be 1 for 79 while bowling and 8 runs off 11 balls while batting....?:P

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
anilramavarma said:
Wouldn't that be 1 for 79 while bowling and 8 runs off 11 balls while batting....?:P
Nah he usually scores at more than a run a ball ;)

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't know why India would want to let John Wright go now, especially to NZ.

It was not John Wright's fault that India stumbled in NZ, he can't go & tell every batsmen to change their techniques totally & why would you want to with Tendulkar, Sehwag, Dravid etc?

But clearly here you can see how he's changed India cricket for the better..starting with the fielding. Yuvraj & Kaif are outstanding fielders but its unlikely they'd figure in the team with another coach because he'd be more obsessed with all the batting talent in India. John Wright knows that if you have good fielders you can really lift your bowlers & then everything clicks.
I know there would be a huge temptation to tell Srinath to go & retire especially with all the younger talent around but you can already see through this World Cup how his experience is so invaluable to Zaheer & Nehra not to forget he's also bowling damn well on flat decks.

The other thing i've noticed is that India are mentally tougher, a few years ago if they were challenged they would back off but these days its much the opposite.
I bring alot of this down to John Wright & if India were to drop him I think it would be a big mistake.

V Reddy

International Debutant
I don't think most people in India want him to leave. Nobody said about him after the NZ tour as well. It's only some of the people who are in power like Dalmiya. Infact Ganguly most of the times says that Wright should be there with the Indian Cricket as long as possible. Now there is a talk that Dalmiya is trying for Sandip Patil now. But all the players are very much interested with Wright and the 2 physios. It will be interesting how they will react when Dalmiya tries to remove him.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Well i've been posting on other forums for awhile now & there are still some Indian supporters out there very much opposed to John Wright.

But I can tell you, India's improvement in the fielding especially did not just happen without some dedication.

V Reddy

International Debutant
Yup. I also heard some time back that he was the first to treat all the people equally. Earlier Caoches used to give much importance to Sachin, Kumble,Srinath,etc,. That lead to more involvment of the younger players also. Thats why maybe Ganguly likes him b'coz he was treated unfairly in 1991 in Aus and was said that he didn't carry drinks b'coz he is from Royal Family and then sourav was dropped after 1 match till he played again in 1996. Yes most of the credit goes to Wright and Ganguly also.

V Reddy

International Debutant
Now his contract is only going to be extended temporarily and will be decided after that. Also Tim, some recent opinion polls conducted by some magazines and news channels showed that above 80 % want him to stay on all the polls and about 10 % undecided and another 10% want him not to be there. But any way he will not be removed as long as Dravid and Ganguly are there.

Gotchya

State Vice-Captain
krkode said:
Personally, I liked Wright as coach. Unlike other coaches you don't often see him mouthing off to reporters and then again, the players have done relatively well under his guidance. Not only has he improved them, but he's had the added task of maturing a bunch of youngsters and newbies bar Tendulkar, Ganguly, Dravid and Srinath. The rest all matured under his guidance, and I personally feel he's too good to be replaced, unless of course, HE wants a break. He deserves one, but only if he wants it.:rolleyes:
World Cup 2003 ???!!! aint that enough to make a case ??!!

V Reddy

International Debutant
Apparently he wanted a break b'coz his father was ill but after consulting his family he wanted to continue as a coach. I think he became like a family member to the players:D :D . Every other day i see a report a player saying that the team will fight for him and they will not allow him to be replaced and that player's name is not mentioned.